STEAM ?? !!!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
SuperQuaise

STEAM ?? !!!

Post by SuperQuaise »

Does steam irritate the hell out of anyone else, i mean it sucks that you have to connect to the web everytime you want to play !!!

Today I cant connect at all just keep getting network issues :?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Steam is the devil.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

heh!

Their fora bit the dirt yesterday.....
"Error 403
Access denied...."

One complaint too many.... ? :roll:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Belix

Post by Belix »

It's amaizing how all these fancy anti-piracy counter measures end up nailing the legit buyers. The pirates find a nice quick way round and carry on happily. I was going to get HL2 before reading how much all you guys love STEAM, but have since decided I prefer to have root canal work done.
Last edited by Belix on 21 Jan 2005, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
DEeRaY

Re: STEAM ?? !!!

Post by DEeRaY »

andre20033002 wrote:Does steam irritate the hell out of anyone else, i mean it sucks that you have to connect to the web everytime you want to play !!!

Today I cant connect at all just keep getting network issues :?
Well when your conncection is up again, Just tick the offline mode
Then you shouldnt have to much probs

@Belix
Bud i had Zero problems with HL2.... Maybe a sound stutter here and there but that was that.... the game i deffanitaly worth the effort, And i reckon quite
alot better than route canal too....
Belix

Post by Belix »

To be honest, I never had root canal treatment :lol: However, the online thing did put me off buying the game. Bought Joan of Arc instead. Not the best descision I've ever made...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

Yeah well it was quite rash, But after youve done the online part, Its all down hill from there...

And now the Xmas hype is gone, So steam should be pretty friendly compared to when the WHOLE WORLD was trying to get it up and running

Next game belix must buy
HALF LIFE 2
SuperQuaise

Post by SuperQuaise »

I can understand that you should connect to the net for counter strike but why for HL2 if you've already activated it it"s yours.

The crackers will find a way to beat steam and the activation!!!
capanno

Post by capanno »

My friend had the same prob. He had hes PC here at my house and he started HL2 up, and he didnt have to connect. I just happen to get my hands on a cracked version of HL2. I just wanted to see if it will work on my FX5200 265 133 RAM ! It was full of bugs (the 5mins i played) Dont get cracked versions! Its bad, and they suck. So Im really gonna get the real thing when i get my new pc next week! :) Then its me and the steam...
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Capanno_Del_Kimakigami wrote:My friend had the same prob. He had hes PC here at my house and he started HL2 up, and he didnt have to connect. I just happen to get my hands on a cracked version of HL2. I just wanted to see if it will work on my FX5200 265 133 RAM ! It was full of bugs (the 5mins i played) Dont get cracked versions! Its bad, and they suck. So Im really gonna get the real thing when i get my new pc next week! :) Then its me and the steam...
PIRATE ALERT!!!! So you just admitted to piracy, my oh my, aren't we dof? First you use profanities whilst trying to argue for the Christians (WTF) and now this... :roll:
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
capanno

Post by capanno »

I thought this migth happen.

I tried to run it on my pc, and then deleted it. I was trying to tell andre20033002 not to play pirate copies! ghees!
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Hypocrite!
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
capanno

Post by capanno »

If you dont believe me, come over to my house right now, and see for yourself.
jee

Post by jee »

Cappo, you should not have had a cracked copy in the first place.........
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
capanno

Post by capanno »

What should I do? Format my harddrive? My brain?
jee

Post by jee »

Keep your hands in your pockets.. then they will not be let into temptation when a cracked copy presents itself ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Always good advise keeping your hands in your pockets when .......
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

HL2 Demo will not load at all???

Post by maxxis »

Hi all.

I downloaded HL2 demo and after the install all that happens is Preparing to play Half Life 2 - Demo.

What gives. I cant find the offline option to select even though it does say off line?

Any ideas on getting this demo to run in offline mode?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

jee wrote:Keep your hands in your pockets.. then they will not be let into temptation when a cracked copy presents itself ;)
too late...

my hands were not only out my pockets, they were clawing it out of the other persons hands...

is there like an AA for pirates? I think I need to attend...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Re: HL2 Demo will not load at all???

Post by rustypup »

maxxis wrote:Hi all.

I downloaded HL2 demo and after the install all that happens is Preparing to play Half Life 2 - Demo.

What gives. I cant find the offline option to select even though it does say off line?

Any ideas on getting this demo to run in offline mode?
Hah!

Be warned... Steam's GUI is prone to lockups and misrepresentation - by that I mean, on all visible evidence, when one part is telling you that the download is at 100%, it has fallen prey to buggy double precision math ... I find that simply exiting when the GUI says "done" is one sure way of being frustrated... leave steam open for maybe another ten minutes.

Step one - with steam open, select the demo in your game list, right click it and select properties. Make sure "keep up to date" is selected. This gui will also tell you if the download is complete and whether or not offline is available, (not entirley accurate, hence the comment about staying connected a little longer....).

Step two, run the demo while connected. It pays to play it safe and check that you have no probs with the install...

Step three.... EXIT steam, don't log off... make sure no i-connect is available and run the demo.

Good luck...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks. Ill leave it open and see what happens.
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

AAARRRRRGH!!!!
Same old same old....

PIRATE: I Copied this stuff
PCFUSER: OOOOOHHH!!!! YOUR ALL GOING TO HELL!!!

Man, I bet you more than half of you that carry on like you do have got at least some 'pirated' software

Nuff Said....
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Uuuuh. OK.

Now back to my problem, Would XP SP2 have anything to do with it?
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

no it doesnt... Have SP2 Installed and is A.OK!!!
And dont patronise me

Edit:Better?
Last edited by DEeRaY on 27 Jan 2005, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: HL2 Demo will not load at all???

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote: Hah!

Be warned... Steam's GUI is prone to lockups and misrepresentation - by that I mean, on all visible evidence, when one part is telling you that the download is at 100%, it has fallen prey to buggy double precision math ... I find that simply exiting when the GUI says "done" is one sure way of being frustrated... leave steam open for maybe another ten minutes.

Step one - with steam open, select the demo in your game list, right click it and select properties. Make sure "keep up to date" is selected. This gui will also tell you if the download is complete and whether or not offline is available, (not entirley accurate, hence the comment about staying connected a little longer....).

Step two, run the demo while connected. It pays to play it safe and check that you have no probs with the install...

Step three.... EXIT steam, don't log off... make sure no i-connect is available and run the demo.

Good luck...
maybe I will give those Piraters Anonymous meetings a miss after all, seems like my greedy claws saved me from a fate worse than death...

Yoda... at it again I see... you evil man :twisted:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken