Gran Turismo 4

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Screeper

Gran Turismo 4

Post by Screeper »

Yes i know i can hear you all boo'ing and hissing from here at the mention of a console specific game but i was just wondering if anyone is a fan of the game at all.

Personally it is my bestest console game ever and its the best driving game on any platform bar none.

GT4 is set for release on 3rd Dec in Japan and 14th in Europe, so i'm guessing we may just sneak it in for father christmas to deliver it to us.

It is going to be breath taking to say the least. Over 650 cars, all absolutley modelled to perfection to the real product. They in fact recieved every car they included in the game at their race circuit to test and obtain data from. Although i believe a few of the specials that only occur in museums weren't raced round the track :wink:
The circuit they built was specifically done for the GT series and Sony must have thrown vast piles o cash at the development of the game.

Vehicles range from a pre-1900's three wheeled chrysler right up to the concept cars seen at this years Paris motorshow.
The GT4 people were also the only group outside BMW headquarters to have access to the specs of the new M5. They had the car programmed and set up before us the public knew what i was gonna look like.

If you've got a mo, just have a peak at these shots of replays from the game. Actual in games graphics look just like it as i've played GT4 Prologue (the teaser or demo if you like) and its fab.

I've put them as url's as i didn't want to annoy you with big pretty pictures loading.

http://playstationpro2.com/media/images/gt4-4.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een071.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een095.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een093.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een100.jpg

Pretty fantasmagorical eh? :D
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
dammod

Post by dammod »

I can't wait!!
How is the sense of speed in the game? If u know what I mean eg:NFSU=very good GT3=sucky. In GT3 to me it seemed that the cars "felt" slow. Mainly in acceleration.
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

dammod wrote:I can't wait!!
How is the sense of speed in the game? If u know what I mean eg:NFSU=very good GT3=sucky. In GT3 to me it seemed that the cars "felt" slow. Mainly in acceleration.
And another thing, does it have "arcade" game type of feel like Need For Speed Underground or is it more of a simulation like NFS: Porsche Challenge.... :roll:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

It is definately more sim than arcade.
I would say the sense of speed won't be as emphasised as it is in nfsu. Although they have got a track that is a race round NY streets and that one definately seems to have that sensation of speed. I guess it's the close proximity to buildings etc.. that gives the impression. Cos on some of the wide open spaces (like the track along the top of the Grand Canyon) the impression is much less even tho the track is way faster in speed terms than the NY one.

Its also going to be friggin hard to get all the licenses as it was in gt3 but apparently the final few tests for the pro license are very challenging.

/me drools
style121

Post by style121 »

I'm a fan of the series too, even though theres no damage and if you suped up your car you'd always beat everyone else without any challenge. This I hope they change in number 4. I'm considering buying a playstation just for this game.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Gran Turismo 3 (and yes Tekken ) were pretty much the reasons i got a ps2

from the screen shots it looks amazing, i cant wait to try out all the new cars and tracks.

we should have a few GT3 time trials while were waiting for GT4 yknow someone picks a track and a car, posts theyr times and people try to beat them, fastest wins...what do they win you might ask? er...well nothing. :P
(id start but im nowhere near my ps2 at the moment)
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Ok i just dug out GT3

Arcade mode - Free Run
Track: Trial Mountain
Time: 1:03:911
Car: Polyphony 001 (manual)
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Arcade Mode - Free Run
Track: Trial Mountain
Time: 1.02.447
Car: Polyphony 001 (manual)

Photographic proof available on request :wink:

im sure there are more people with gt3 than just the two of us,
get those times in people :)
dammod

Post by dammod »

*goes 2 his room 2 play GT3*
dammod

Post by dammod »

na...rather do it tom

What Subaru's will they have in GT4? :-)
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

theres a pretty extensive car list for GT4 over on GTplanet

im just happy the 22b is still in there.
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

The game will rock the world
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
dammod

Post by dammod »

Wow...I bet I won't even use all the cars! Glad 2 C alot of Subaru's this time round :-)
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Geez Hawk, now i gotta go back an play again, pfft

That's a quick time!!! Not sure i can better that. I'll give it a go.
dammod

Post by dammod »

could ne of u give me ne hint on how 2 drive a little better? I really struggle 2 finish the licences :-(
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Phew! after 14 laps on 1:03.156 i'm getting there Hawk :wink: still over half a sec off you tho :?

Best time i've seen on net is 56.764 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O that's with a steering wheel tho
Best with joypad is 57.324

Hawk chose another track and post a time in the mean time while strain to beat your're Trial Mt time :P
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Dammond,

Smoothness is the key, sliding, skidding look cool in the replays but it definately costs time.

Also i use manual which i think give you a few split seconds more advantage.

Over-driving is something which i do all the time, and its bad for your times. You enter the corners to fast and end up with a car squirming and squealing all over the place. Brake earlier and set the car up for the corners before you reach them. Then accelerate smoothly through them. You'll find you get faster times.

Mid-engined rear-wheel drive cars seem to be the best balanced cars do if given a choice go for those.
Rear wheeled drives give you loads of over-steer and you spend alot of time doing doughnuts instead of going round corners (especially in that friggen Dodge Viper)
4wd and front wheel drive tend to under-steer but they're a bit more forgiving

If you find you're going into a spin, ease off the accelerator and turn into the spin to correct it.

Which one of the licenses are you struggling with in particular?
I'm sure Hawk or myself can give the one you're doing another go and see how we do it ( if we manage to do it a second time that is ;))
dammod

Post by dammod »

Wow, Thanx 4 da help. I will try that advice u gave me out tomorrow. I have not played 4 a while so I don't know exactly which one it is that I am stuck on...or rather...was stuck on.
U C, I have GT Concept, and if u get a certain percentage of the game finished they give u the option 2 transfer sum thing like 10000000 (10 MIL) credits over 2 GT3 and all of the licences. Now I was going 2 try finishing GT3 without that transfer (I got GT3 after GT Concept) but I thought, What the hell and just did that transfer. I did so because I slaved away trying 2 get through GT Concept so I think I earnd every right 2 use that transfer. It might sound like a bit of a cheat but...yeah...as I said I got that 10 MIL fair and square :-), so now I am just trying 2 get through the races, which I might add is going very well thanx 2 da credits I got ;-) .
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Dammond, yeah that 'all license and 10mil' is a lovely prize to end GTConcept, i think it helped a lot of guys get thru GT3

Hawk,
Trial Mountain: Polyphony 001
Time: 1'01.989 - took a pic ;)

Wasn't even a perfect lap either. I clipped the wall going into the tunnel after that long flat out left/right after the start line.
And i touched the side in that akward corner after the long back straight.
Total laps done must have been over 50 now :) never got a 1:02, all were low 1:03's and then i just got a really good run on one lap and got the 1:01 :) :) :) :) :)
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

thats a very good time Screeper :)

all im managing at the moment is 1'02.200 or something to that effect, but ill give it a few more runs to see (up to about 40 laps myself)

cutoff should be friday, as in fastest time by saturday wins, im suggesting a cut off, because the way things are going we'll just end up shaving tenths off of each others time indefinately if there isnt one :P
come saturday winner picks the next track and car.

about the driving, like Screeper said, overdriving is the biggest problem for everyone, best thing to do is start out normal on a track and push a bit harder lap by lap,(and note what your doing in the different sectors)
you'l get a good idea of how far you can push the car.

tips for the liscenses? try and try again :biggrin:
dammod

Post by dammod »

What is the fastest car?
dammod

Post by dammod »

Or the best car over all? Would i be able to make your guys time with a Subaru suped up?...I think not hey?
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

The fastest cars are the formula1 cars, those are what were using for these times (the polyphony 001,etc)
you might just maybe get close to the f1 car times in a mazda 787b, but itd be a bit difficult.

my favourite car? has to be the toyota supra, especially in race kit its easy and fun to drive (though maybe thats just me :P )

by the way dammod how'r those races going?

the next "trial" whoever wins im hoping a "normal" car gets chosen... *hint,hint*
McGuywer

Post by McGuywer »

Will Gran Turismo 4 be on PC?
Aan wat dink jy nie?
Web Africa ADSL
dammod

Post by dammod »

My TV is broke and only switches on about 1-2 weeks after it is pluged in or the power is on (electricity triped the other day). Will check tomorrow again.

Do u get a F1 car in GT3!!!!! Where and how do I get it?