Varsity Firewall help

Network problem solving and tweaks
feo

Varsity Firewall help

Post by feo »

howzit

Sometimes when surfing the web at varsity, on certain computers when u type in a web site address a firewall box pops up and asks u for a username and password. I was wonderin if theres any way of getting past this.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

You at tuks?

What do you think of the "very cheap" internet costs?
feo

Post by feo »

yeah im at tuks. thank god the first 6 months dont count towards ur account. R2 per meg is ludacris. so any idea on how to get past the firewall?
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I live in Stellenbosch and my school is connected with the University...

There is no way to get past that ... believe me I have tried :evil:

Whe pay R1 a meg from our school...

Thank God I have a home!
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
feo

Post by feo »

There must be a way. I WANT FREE INTERNET!!!! :(
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Nerevar wrote:I live in Stellenbosch and my school is connected with the University...

There is no way to get past that ... believe me I have tried :evil:

Whe pay R1 a meg from our school...

Thank God I have a home!
Yeah, I'm at UND (or UKZN or whatever it's called) and things like that just frustrate me intensively. Along with every 2nd site timing out. Can't figure out way round it.

I can't believe that they make you pay for internet. I won't bother to go to varsity if they didn't have FREE dedicated lines. When my one friend (also at Stellenbosch) told me about this paying thing, I was stunned. He said it was only a couple of cents. But R1 and R2 a meg! A meg is nothing! That's more than printing costs. If they had that at ours, I'd be in some serious debt.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

neon_chameleon I agree...

I may be in a High School, but free internet is a must!!!!

As I mentioned, its much cheaper to just dailup from home.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

neon_chameleon wrote:If they had that at ours, I'd be in some serious debt.
That's possibly their reasoning behind it. Wan't to deny ppl the right to study. Want to coax some more money out of ppl. Don't think a government grant + the thousands you pay for a course is enouth to manage a varsity with.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Well, i don't download in the labs anymore (No internet left) What i do now is i go to the library swipe my card (R9 for 30 mins) then i find what i want to download, start the download and then press "stop" on the timer, you get to download whatever you want for free, except you can't do anything else until you swipe your card again.

Have you joined the Tlug forums? Tlug

Oh, and please pm me your complaints about the internet usage (Make it good :twisted: ) I'm trying to compile a list of complaints then i will send it to the internet manager, the engineering dean, and the src (maybe others aswell if so requested)
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

feo wrote:yeah im at tuks. thank god the first 6 months dont count towards ur account. R2 per meg is ludacris. so any idea on how to get past the firewall?
8O 8O 8O

R2 a megabyte..... 8O /me kisses my internet connection

At UCT you pay like R300 for the whole year for internet access. Download speeds +-8kb/s. Oh and trust I have downloaded WAY more than 150mb, perhaps more than 20 times that.... :twisted:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
neon_chameleon wrote:If they had that at ours, I'd be in some serious debt.
That's possibly their reasoning behind it. Wan't to deny ppl the right to study. Want to coax some more money out of ppl. Don't think a government grant + the thousands you pay for a course is enouth to manage a varsity with.
Deny people the right to study? What? I'm not knockng people over the head with a spanner and using their pc to download. The varsity doesn't pay per meg anyway so who am I hurting? Telkom? I download lots of app demos, utils, workshops and learn what they do and how to use them, it's taught me way more than anything I have been lectured to at varsity as far as computer science goes.

Well the government should spend it's money on education, along with health care and a million other things besides 300 million rand planes. At least that tax money is being fed back to the people. Yes, but the point that thousands of people pay thousands, is millions. Ah!
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Mmm... when I was at RAU we had free access to any sites in most labs. And as Com-Sci students, our labs had better machines + better access. Our useage was monitored, but not blocked or charged.

Artagra
Law

Post by Law »

Here at und we have 50 megs free a month if you go higher then that it's no more net for you.

The problem is the guys that bring Removable hdd's and download gig's of crap, that screw everyone else over.

But thats life. As for how to bypass the firewall. Try makeing friends with one of the lan guys.

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I used to work with the TUKS IT guys a couple of years ago, are they still running novell networks down there? I can't remember anything about their proxy servers or firewalls though, it's most probably been changed or replaced since my departure anyway.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Yes, they are still using Novel.

We get the grand total of 200Mb for the entire year for free, anything above that costs R2 per meg :cry:
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

At UWC: no logins, no charges, nice speeds, .................
Brother Hiram, wish you were here!
Thanks Disruptor!
vv3bcr3atur3

Re: Varsity Firewall help

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

feo wrote:howzit

Sometimes when surfing the web at varsity, on certain computers when u type in a web site address a firewall box pops up and asks u for a username and password. I was wonderin if theres any way of getting past this.
Go to the IT Lab usually there is already a password entered in for you => but then you would be surfing on someone else account: there is off caurse Gold Fields lab => carppy security.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
Royal-Falcon

Post by Royal-Falcon »

I'm at RAU and the internet here is free. The only things that are blocked are certain keywords like mp3, movie xxx etc.

But other than that everthing is pretty cool.

R1 a meg is rediculous.

You guys should rather go to an internet cafe or something.
When you see whats happening, you realise that its all an illusion
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Yes, R1 per meg is crazy, but we are not paying R1 per meg, we are paying R2 per meg :cry: :cry:
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

Lets all just stop buying Internet!!!!
feo

Post by feo »

vv3bcr3atur3 wrote:
feo wrote:howzit

Go to the IT Lab usually there is already a password entered in for you => but then you would be surfing on someone else account: there is off caurse Gold Fields lab => carppy security.
Thats what I do sometimes, but there must be a way of logging on to a computer without having to put in your student number and password. I tried typing 'admin' as the username and password and a bunch of other stuff but nothing works.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Is it illegal to place someones email address on a open forums like this knowing he is going to get spamed sh*t less?

I have the Internet manager (The guy who makes this rediculus prices) email address and i think it's about time he learned how the students feel about this. :twisted: :twisted:
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

R2 per MB, that is a real rip off. 8O

Another thing to look for in a university, free internet, or at least very cheap internet. :)
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

feo wrote:Thats what I do sometimes, but there must be a way of logging on to a computer without having to put in your student number and password. I tried typing 'admin' as the username and password and a bunch of other stuff but nothing works.
So that is where my Megs is going! Not really don't use that labs (windows only)
I'm not allowed to post usernames or passwords here but I can tell you this. There is a "default" username and password that the students are given (for FRK181 anyway) that sometimes have internet access and then it goes of nobody's account. This sometimes is always during exams/tests of certain subjects and some other times as well. They gave you the username and password most likely so it would not be illegal if you use it.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
John_Cena

Post by John_Cena »

feo wrote:yeah im at tuks. thank god the first 6 months dont count towards ur account. R2 per meg is ludacris. so any idea on how to get past the firewall?
R2 per meg? thats too much
i'm at Cape Tech and we pay R1 per meg, but i can access pcformat for free.
The crowd roars as Cena
Enters the arena

Word Life