Where to now?

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Bio-Hazard

Where to now?

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I would like some help from the graphic fundis please.

Firstly I can't even draw a stick man without a GPS and a ruler.
That's where the dillema lies! I love working with graphics and all my spare time is spent marvelling at CG.
I don't have graphic qualifications (because the portfolios they want require works of art where all my attempts have failed) but I tought myself many programs and am intermediate to advanced level in such programs as Corel Graphics suite, Paint Shop Pro, Macromedia Studio etc.

What I want to know is where can I start to get into the graphic scene with the above info?
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

The CG market is a cut throat, competetive niche market. It's cool that you know how to use the software but I'm afraid you need more than just that. We all dabble in grapic design but very few of us make a career out of it. You need talent. You need that something extra. It's like programming. Just because you know C++ doesn't make you a good programmer.

So my advise to you would be to look at doing something else. Something that you can do really well.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Thanks Yoda. I have realised that i can not make CG a career, a while ago, but I still want to know more about the industry and maybe get into a couple of projects part time / after hours. Make it a hobby I suppose.
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Y0da wrote:
So my advise to you would be to look at doing something else. Something that you can do really well.
My PC got confiscated and I'm on parole for that.

Just kidding.
Garret

Post by Garret »

Bio-Hazard :
everyone - even C++ fundis start somewhere mate.

If you are intersted and enjoy CG then go for it.
There are a ton of brilliant articles on the web I'm sure, and if you can't find anything there, there is always the book shop.

good luck
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Thanks Garret, you have inspired me.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Yea, do whatever you can, make it happen!! EVERYONE starts somewhere! It's the same with anything, drawing, dancing, sport, whatever. Practice makes perfect :D
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

I agree with everybody. Yoda said that you have to have talent. I agree but talent is something that comes with passion. If you are really passionate about getting into Graphic Design then go for it.

Spend some time and create a portfolio for yourself. Setup some fake products and do a few advertisements on them. Then take this portfolio (about 20 works) to a company and ask for work. Try to get an internship at a desing studio. Even if you have to work for free. People want to see that you have experience.

Also look at doing some freelance work.

Otherwise stick to doing it in you spare time and maybe evolve it into a business by doing web design.

You never know what could happen.

Cheers
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Thanks Yoda. I have realised that i can not make CG a career, a while ago, but I still want to know more about the industry and maybe get into a couple of projects part time / after hours. Make it a hobby I suppose.
Alot of people start with a work and a hobby and end up with just a hobby: that should be your ultimate goal. Maybe even take a course in your spare time.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I presume from the programs that you mentioned that you're interested solely in 2D CG? If so, then why not take drawing and painting lessons? These two disciplines are the most essential starting point. Why? Because they teach you the following:

- shape and form (drawing)
- perspective (drawing)
- observation (drawing and painting)
- mixing colour (painting)
- understanding light (painting)

And a lot of other stuff as well.

I am sure that doing this will help you enormously. If you really are serious about this, then you owe it to yourself to sign up for some drawing and painting.
human slave in an insect nation
Bio-Hazard

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Thanks Leigh. You understod perfectly what I want to do. I will look into taking such courses. I've always wanted to draw and my wife is in that field (as a hobby.) I did all the research on 3d CG and understand it better now. I've tried my hand at programming and it's not for me.

I'll go with maxxis idea and start small with part-time freelancing and getting a portfolia together as I already have alot to put in. I do all my companies design and advertising. Other nearby companies as well.

Thanks for your input guys. When I reach the top I'll remember you all.