Linux Superuser

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
the_nominator

Linux Superuser

Post by the_nominator »

In mandrake 10 how do I log in as the admin, during the installation i'm sure I said I must have all rights and I am the only user I specified but it still won't let me see stuff like the root directory.
And this sucks cause some programs u have to be the 'superuser' to configure it.
Do I have to login using text mode?
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Oh figured it out :D
User name: root
Password: ****************
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

Word of advise: learn early on not to run as root user. Run as normal user and use the su command to get root access or simply type in the root password for GUI based programs when prompted for it. (same apply for win nt kernal OSs: don't run as admin if you don't have to!)
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
v1c

Post by v1c »

I disagree, as long as your not in a situation where important stuff could be lost or damaged you might as well go in as root, it's the best way to learn. You learn a lot more from the occasional screw up than from following the rules.
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Well I needed root access to configure a program so it couldn't be done through text-mode so I had too.
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

Through the terminal type:

Code: Select all

su
*password*
*programname/command* &
And now you know how: do it this way and you'll learn alot more and thank me one day.
"If our ancestors stood still at fire for 10 more years the wheel would have be much rounder by now" - vv3b
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Yes I know how to do that but what I'm sayin is its not possible to confugure that without the GUI and I have to be loged-in as root
ImageStuff the DS!
07 Designs|Portfolio
vv3bcr3atur3

Post by vv3bcr3atur3 »

The above commands will bring up the GUI as well. All settings I can think of that cannot be configured this way (or at least not that simple) is root's desktop and screensaver settings. But I'm glad you figured the login thing out.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I think your doing it the right way.
When you login, always login as your username and when you need to configure something, go into su mode.
So long as you don't login as root from boot or do basic tasks that don't need root access, you'll be fine.