Anything & everything regarding Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Anything & everything regarding Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

It seems every 2nd post in this forum is someone wondering whether Doom 3 or HL 2 will run on their PC. By using GOOGLE ( quite a handy tool ), I was able to determine the following :

Doom 3
In a interview for the german magazine PCGames Hardware, John Carmack from id Software has revealed the hardware requirements for DOOM III: a video card with at least 128MB RAM and Pixel Shader 1.1 support and a 2.5GHz CPU should be enough for the stencil shadows and physics calculations. Also, Carmack announced that a testing phase might last until this summer or even later. DOOM III is expected on 4 CDs and multiplayer will include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Tournament and Last Man Standing.
Half-Life 2
The minimum system spec is currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-level video card, eg: TNT2 etc, meaning you won't need a supercomputer to run Half-Life 2 but don't expect to see reflective water,dynamic shadows and bump-mapped textures.

The game running at reasonable detail eg: 25/40 fps, requires a 1600Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4 Ti or Ati Radeon card.
Last edited by OnlyOneKenobi on 26 Aug 2004, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Mekker

Re: Doom 3 and Half Life 2 system requirements

Post by Mekker »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:It seems every 2nd post in this forum is someone wondering whether Doom 3 or HL 2 will run on their PC. By using GOOGLE ( quite a handy tool ), I was able to determine the following :

Doom 3
In a interview for the german magazine PCGames Hardware, John Carmack from id Software has revealed the hardware requirements for DOOM III: a video card with at least 128MB RAM and Pixel Shader 1.1 support and a 2.5GHz CPU should be enough for the stencil shadows and physics calculations. Also, Carmack announced that a testing phase might last until this summer or even later. DOOM III is expected on 4 CDs and multiplayer will include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Tournament and Last Man Standing.
Half-Life 2
The minimum system spec is currently targeted at a 700 MHz PC with 128 MB RAM and a DX6-level video card, eg: TNT2 etc, meaning you won't need a supercomputer to run Half-Life 2 but don't expect to see reflective water,dynamic shadows and bump-mapped textures.

The game running at reasonable detail eg: 25/40 fps, requires a 1600Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4 Ti or Ati Radeon card.
tell me, what is GOOGLE?
Pentium 75
64Mb Ram
14" Monitor
Win98
Speakers, mouse, keyboard.
Image Image
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

Mekker wrote:
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:It seems every 2nd post in this forum is someone wondering whether Doom 3 or HL 2 will run on their PC. By using GOOGLE ( quite a handy tool ), I was able to determine the following :

Doom 3
Half-Life 2

tell me, what is GOOGLE?
isnt it a look you give a gorgeous female?
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

google (www.google.com) is a search engine. Probably the best one I've ever used. just put the specefic thing you want to search in quotation marks to make it more accurate. eg: "doom 3"
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

she's got her own website? 8O
- Himura Battousai.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Please try to stick to the topic in the annoucement threads, guys.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

sorry only1, got carried away. :oops:
- Himura Battousai.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Doom 3
Half-Life 2

LAST MAN STANDING 8O
Sounds like its going to be great.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

it does doesnt it.
- Himura Battousai.
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

I want :D :D :D :D :D
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

you'll have to wait for a few weeks.
- Himura Battousai.
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

Doom 3

Half-Life 2

hate to say those are slightly wrong those are predicted requirements
here is th Hl 2 requirement (offical)

Minimum Requirements

1.2 GHz Processor

256MB RAM

DirectX 7 level graphics card

Windows 2000/XP/ME/98

Mouse

Keyboard

Preferred System

2.4 GHz Processor

512MB RAM

DirectX 9 level graphics card

Windows 2000/XP

Mouse

Keyboard

http://www.megagames.com/news/redir.cgi ... E=02&id=17

doom 3 are

Minium Spec
P4 1.5 GHz or equivalent
384MB RAM
64 MB 3D card (certain GPUs - lowest is GeForce3/GeForce 4 MX)

Also, here are the recomended specs:
2GHz CPU
512MB RAM
Radeon 9800 card
five-channel sound card and speakers

This is not meant to diss you onlyone just to slightly correct you PLease dont take this the wrong way
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

and why would he take it the wrong way.

Cooool I can play both on say almost full detail.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:and why would he take it the wrong way.

Cooool I can play both on say almost full detail.
what pc do you have?
- Himura Battousai.
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

well him i have a thing about each other he might just come back and think that i am try to make sound like a retard

Onlyone i found those same things look at the dte p[osted they were last year \but dont worry i nearly got caught
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

amdretard wrote:well him i have a thing about each other he might just come back and think that i am try to make sound like a retard

Onlyone i found those same things look at the dte p[osted they were last year \but dont worry i nearly got caught
The articles I posted were from this year, March and April 04 to be exact. But good on you for finding the official specs, now everyone can read them and be happy, it's not nearly as resource heavy as most people think.

amdretard

Post by amdretard »

cool

what is sad is the game has already hit he file sharing networks
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Dont ever ask again whether a game or any other software is available for illegal download or any other form of file sharing!!!!!!! :!:
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

I really hope doom3 and hl2 will run on my system, even if at the lowest setting. If not then i'll be upgrading to more ram and a geforce6800 ultra (which i can get for R4900).
Last edited by po10cy on 20 Jul 2004, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

po10cy wrote:Dont ever ask again whether a game or any other software is available for illegal download or any other form of file sharing!!!!!!! :!:
He wasn't asking, he was saying that it is available. He also included a location as to where it was available from but I edited it out, relax.

po10cy

Post by po10cy »

sorry :(
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

po10cy wrote:I really hope doom3 and hl2 will run on my system, even if at the lowest setting. If not then i'll be upgrading to more ram and a geforce6800 ultra (which i can get for R4900).
where?
- Himura Battousai.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Even a 6800 wouldn't do you much good on your celeron. Don't get me wrong, it would be better, but your CPU is a serious bottleneck.

po10cy

Post by po10cy »

From a supplier here in PE, I'm not going to say exactly where incase the supplier gets in trouble or the sales person does(just incase i'm getting a special deal I dont know of) or incase they have only a limited stock and I end up getting none. You guys understand right?
Last edited by po10cy on 20 Jul 2004, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Thanks for the advice onlyone, I was thinking of also getting a p4 prescott cpu, I heard they can be overclocked quite extensively.