Amd 64 Overclocking

Any hardware related topics go here.
REN

Amd 64 Overclocking

Post by REN »

Hey I would like to overclock my pc, I looked through the forum threads, but only got more confused and I'm not sure whether these overclocking numbers would be optimal for my pc. Please give a newbie some advice.
System specs:
amd 64 3200+
Gigabyte k8n pro
1gig transcend ddr 400
80gig seagate serial ata
sapphire 9600xt 256mb

Thanx
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hin Ren,
The best guys locally to speak with regarding AMD A64 o/clocking would be Solo, Andyddr and Naughty over at http://www.planetmars.co.za

They are very knowledgeable anything AMD, while myself and Enigma are the Intel guys.

Feel free to chat to any of them, they would give you gopod advice.

Just make sure about good watercooling, then your cpu should hit 2.4 - 2.5 gig easily. Do get something like the Waterchill from Asetek, Arthur at http://www.synapsys.co.za is the local reseller, based in Josie, but he will ship it anywhere in SA.

Let me know if you come right though.

Br,
MrBean.
[/url]
feo

Post by feo »

hi mr bean

this has nothin to do with overclockin but was wonderin if u knew any good places in pta that sell athlon 64 3200+\3400+ and athlon fx-51 at good, make that great prices. whats the cheapest that u've seen the above retail at? any help will be HIGHLY appreciated

thnx
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hi Feo,
No prob, drop me a pm, then we can discuss this, I might put you onto a very good friend.......we are prolly not allowed to discuss pricing etc in the open, so just drop me a pm.

See you,
MrBean.
Soap

Post by Soap »

The FX is not that good anymore since the 3400+ come out. The costs R 3,295 (ex. VAT) at Rectron. :wink:
CALE24

Post by CALE24 »

The best value 64 bit chip is the 3000+, it's 512 cache less of a realistic disadvantage than most think. Nevertheless, I went for the next best valued version, the 3200+ which easily sits at the 2.2ghz of a 3400+ on the standard boxed heatsink I'm using for now, after fsb tweaking. And that at 37-40deg C. Fx-53(2.6ghz) is best value in the fx series, beating even a 3.4EE pentium in most benches. They're both BIIIG money though.
I'm probably stating the obvious as usual, but I'm a big amd 64 fan. 8) :arrow: :twisted:
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

CALE24 wrote: Fx-53(2.6ghz) is best value in the fx series, beating even a 3.4EE pentium in most benches.
Hmmm...I would be really worried if it couldn't beat the EE P4's.....it is a next generation chip, after all.... :D

Oh yeah, I am obviously an Intel Fan.... :wink:

C u later,
MrBean.
Soap

Post by Soap »

The P4 EE is only targeted at Cache-intensive applications like databases, word processsors and heavily multitasking. There is no sense in getting a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition for gaming, as the CPU has to redraw every frame again. Many benchmarkers ran a Quake-3 Frag video and realised that it didn't even bring them a performance boost of 5%. :?
CALE24

Post by CALE24 »

Curious then that Intel said the P4EE was aimed at the gaming market? A Northwood, with double the L2 of a prescott, is a better gaming chip, turning out better benched results, after all.

Good point MrBean, an fx should beat Intels best. 8) The fx-53 costs considerably less than the 3.4EE though, which locally sits at around 9K. I must have had this statistic in my sub-conscious mind as I typed. :o [/quote]
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Soap wrote:The P4 EE is only targeted at Cache-intensive applications like databases, word processsors and heavily multitasking. There is no sense in getting a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition for gaming, as the CPU has to redraw every frame again. Many benchmarkers ran a Quake-3 Frag video and realised that it didn't even bring them a performance boost of 5%. :?
Mmm....not true.....Macci clocked 1 to 4.5 gig, and made 31k on the orb...only 1 of 4 guys to make 31k.....so, I guess it is good for benchmarking too.....lol...

Anyway, it was released as an enthusiast cpu, to counter the success of the AMD 64 series.....and, 5% is quite good in my terms, and that by just adding more cache.....very impressive.....

But, for gaming, a 3400+ 64 would prolly be a very good choice now, if not overclocking at all......and if you have the bucks.

Otherwise a stock 3.2 gig P4, coupled with a nice 9800XT at stock speeds, make for an excellent gaming rig.....a very well-balanced setup......this would be a better choice than say, a AMD64 3400+ and 9800 non-Pro......and the exact same price for the combo.........

I can play NFS Underground at 1024x768, 32 bit, and highest Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-aliasing settings, which btw looks stunning, with no framedrops at all....simply amazing.

Sorry for the off-topic anyway.

Br,
MrBean.
Soap

Post by Soap »

No, the Northwood is better than the Prescott because the games don't support SSE3 yet, this is yields a performance loss of ~5% as the whole Prescott architecture is modified to preform it's best with SSE3. The Prescott will not be faster in terms of performance till SSE3 is implemented in the Pentium 4 :wink:
REN

Post by REN »

thanx
solo

Re: Amd 64 Overclocking

Post by solo »

REN wrote:Hey I would like to overclock my pc, I looked through the forum threads, but only got more confused and I'm not sure whether these overclocking numbers would be optimal for my pc. Please give a newbie some advice.
System specs:
amd 64 3200+
Gigabyte k8n pro
1gig transcend ddr 400
80gig seagate serial ata
sapphire 9600xt 256mb

Thanx
Hi Ren

A good place to start would be to download a program called Clockgen for nforce 3 chipset motherboards. (www.clockgen.com) This way you can change your FSB and even mulitpliers in Windows (which you cannot do in the Gigabyte BIOS (I have the same mobo).
Go into BIOS and set your memory to run at 166 Mhz at first so as to not be limited by it. Press Ctrl + F1 to access the Advanced Features while in BIOS. Save that.
Then you can start by upping your FSB by say 5 MHZ at a time. Just remember to set your AGP speed back to 66.3 by clicking apply in Clockgen as it likes to increase AGP and FSB together. Between each new setting/speed qive it a quick test by running SuperPI. When SuperPI or PC starts to crash then you can start increasing your VCore. Because your memory is running at 166 Mhz your can get to 240 FSB without overclocking your memory. This should get you 2.4 Ghz which is reasonable for an A64 on air.
When you have found your CPU's limit then you can start playing with your memory. Ideal would be to have DDR433 so you can get to say about 220 FSB running it synchronously which is best. Otherwise you can play around with dividers and find the spot where your memory and your CPU is running at max. For example with me I found it to be (263x10=2.630 Ghz) memory running at "166Mhz" which at 263 FSB = 220 Mhz.
Hope I descibed that right but the brain sometimes works quicker than the hands can type :D
Garret

Post by Garret »

Cheers, this sounds like the best advice I have gotten so far.

what should the same system be getting on benchmarks?
solo

Post by solo »

With the system in first post at stock speeds ... oops I see its a 9600XT not to familiar with that one, but had it been a 9800 Pro you would be looking at 19 - 20 000 3DMarks. Not sure about with 9600XT ? Less than that though :P

Also remember that A64's love fast memory ie memory that can do CAS2. Preferably 2-2-2-11, but this is SA so finding some is virtually impossible. Why I imported mine.
REN

Post by REN »

thanx for the help solo, I will give it a go.