Violence breeds aggression but minimise crime

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
jee

Violence breeds aggression but minimise crime

Post by jee »

A joint study conducted by researchers in Texas working with the Centre for European Economic Research has turned up some interesting results on the effects of violent video games.

The researchers found two opposing effects through their investigation on the relationship between violent video games and violent crimes. Firstly, they found that their research supports behavioural psychology studies that find a correlation between violent video games and aggressive behaviour.

Secondly, the study suggests that video games (either violent or non-violent) offer a ‘voluntary incapacitation effect’ or ‘time use effect’ that keeps violent people who might otherwise engage in criminal activities occupied with violently tea-bagging their latest Halo victim.
“These analyses are suggestive of the hypothesis that violent video games, like all video games, paradoxically may reduce violence while increasing the aggressiveness of individuals by simply shifting these individuals out of alternative activities where crime is more likely to occur. Insofar as our findings suggest that the operating mechanism by which violent gameplay causes crime to fall is the gameplay itself, and not the violence, then regulations should be carefully designed so as to avoid inadvertently reducing the time intensity, or the appeal, of video games.”
Aaah, you keep them busy with something violent to stop them from being violent on the streets?

source and graphs
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Violence breeds aggression but minimise crime

Post by StarBound »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/skirm ... cry/717037

Let's say that I enjoyed my rogue in WoW because I could walk around and steal random crap from any npc around. Then in most if not all games there is me vs the enemy which needs to be dispatched in whichever way the game allows be it shooting or jumping on the enemies head.

I'd say it comes down to situational conditions. Like if your being attacked and your being attacked in SA your chances of survival are low so your options are: Wait it out, counter attack, counter attack with the aim of killing your attacker, ect. But that is taking the side of a return fire situation. Lets take that you are cold, starving and have nothing to loose what action will you then take?

Another thing to keep into account is as you were raised were you taught to be passive or aggressive in certain situations.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
jee

Re: Violence breeds aggression but minimise crime

Post by jee »

StarBound wrote: Another thing to keep into account is as you were raised were you taught to be passive or aggressive in certain situations.
I somehow don't think most criminal sorts were taught to be passive or aggressive. It might be that they were not taught anything.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.