ISP wars - bring it.

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Sojourn

ISP wars - bring it.

Post by Sojourn »

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband ... -ever.html
8ta’s new wireless broadband offering has undercut all existing wireless offerings and has even undercut the price of Telkom’s ADSL service.

Consumers signing up with 8ta will receive 10 gigs of data for a mere R199 a month.

If customers fork out an additional R100 a month, they can get another 10 gigs of bandwidth to use between midnight and five in the morning.
Given, it is not ADSL speeds we are talking about - but, what you need to do is get the public without fixed lines a viable option. Would love to see the other networks respond to this.
rustypup

Re: ISP wars - bring it.

Post by rustypup »

they're using telkom's pockets to undercut the competition in order to entice the market into their less-than-impressive service at which point you can expect them to rapidly return to BAU...

it's a marketing stunt.... from telkom... why the excitement?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I would get that deal if not for the 24 month contract. I'm worried the speeds/service goes to pot after a few months and them I'm stuck with it...

Finally rid of horrid iBurst, so have to find something else before the end of the month, aargh.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I love this. They will get a huge amount of subscribers then their lines will be saturated to hell and gone and you will be shaped to dial up because they dont have the capacity. :roll:

If you were sensible rather stay with your current ISP let everyone else run away and get a better experience with your current ISP because they are no longer congested.

+1 to what rusty said.

Side note, shows just how cheap SAIX bandwidth really is ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Oh Telkom has a nerve. They say that their DSL offerings cost you around 5c per MB what a :lol: The line rental alone costs more than what I currently pay on Cell-C. Also those prices they advertise as far as I can see only covers the data costs not the actual device.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:they're using telkom's pockets to undercut the competition in order to entice the market into their less-than-impressive service at which point you can expect them to rapidly return to BAU...

it's a marketing stunt.... from telkom... why the excitement?
Anything that stimulates competition in the isp/online market, I will support.
I cannot understand why you have to find the negative side to most topics you comment on.
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Oh Telkom has a nerve. They say that their DSL offerings cost you around 5c per MB what a :lol: The line rental alone costs more than what I currently pay on Cell-C. Also those prices they advertise as far as I can see only covers the data costs not the actual device.
That also upsets me.
If you are going to evaluate per mb cost for each provider, then take all costs into consideration.
Anakha56 wrote:They will get a huge amount of subscribers then their lines will be saturated to hell and gone and you will be shaped to dial up because they dont have the capacity.
That's part of why the other cell service providers will struggle to compete.
I think current infrastructure is already saturated to a point.
ryanrich wrote:Finally rid of horrid iBurst, so have to find something else before the end of the month, aargh.
I'm still stuck with iBurst... that said, my fire an I share one device and we both MMO together without much issues.
(Albeit only one hour in a month...)
Last edited by RuadRauFlessa on 07 Jul 2011, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined multiple posts into one :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Eish Sojourn in future could you please do one post with multiple quotes? Thank you :).

Current infrastructure is saturated look at what happened to Vodacom when their network crashed due to the transmission fault. The towers that did work got overloaded with requests and people were disconnected. What I am saying is that you will get lousy service when if you just stayed with who you are currently using your service will improve.

Its a good move, similar to what Mweb did with their Uncapped products. Hopefully it is a little more effective than Mwebs move...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:I cannot understand why you have to find the negative side to most topics you comment on.
it's telkom.. competing with telkom... they can rebrand themselves ten ways from sunday.. it's still telkom..

any perceived negativity is a trick of the unfounded optimism in a monopoly which is tearing the behind out of consumers on wired broadband on one hand while offering them petty trinkets on the other...

i refuse to apologise for not drinking the marketing juice...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Anakha56..... request of having stuff in a single post completed.... oh wait you are an admin... :oops:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:
Sojourn wrote:I cannot understand why you have to find the negative side to most topics you comment on.
it's telkom.. competing with telkom... they can rebrand themselves ten ways from sunday.. it's still telkom..

any perceived negativity is a trick of the unfounded optimism in a monopoly which is tearing the behind out of consumers on wired broadband on one hand while offering them petty trinkets on the other...

i refuse to apologise for not drinking the marketing juice...
So, you don't concede that this offering will potentially prompt non-telkom affiliated providers to revise their offerings to the benefit of consumers?

I agree that Telkom is the 13th antibuddha scourge from Hades. It does not change that fact that this move from them will stimulate competition.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Anakha56..... request of having stuff in a single post completed.... oh wait you are an admin... :oops:
ty!
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Sojourn... if it is true that the other mobile carriers are already saturated then no... unless 8ta can take enough customers away from them which I don't see happening very quickly as most of those users are bound to 12 or 24 month contracts which needs to expire first. So in the long run it might cause a price drop in the whole but taken from history... it will not happen.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:It does not change that fact that this move from them will stimulate competition.
it changes nothing...

when it comes to broadband in SA, telkom sets the price. while wireless providers have,indeed,been slaughtering their consumer base for far too long, the base has only grown from strength to strength so clearly they're quite happy to pay the price they are being charged.

if they were unhappy, why would they continue to pay it? at the end of the day, the value is determined at market.. data has no intrinsic value... so anyone complaining about the high cost of wireless data has only themselves to blame...

when did telkom become pro competition? :lol:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:
Sojourn wrote:It does not change that fact that this move from them will stimulate competition.
it changes nothing...

when it comes to broadband in SA, telkom sets the price. while wireless providers have,indeed,been slaughtering their consumer base for far too long, the base has only grown from strength to strength so clearly they're quite happy to pay the price they are being charged.

if they were unhappy, why would they continue to pay it? at the end of the day, the value is determined at market.. data has no intrinsic value... so anyone complaining about the high cost of wireless data has only themselves to blame...

when did telkom become pro competition? :lol:
You indirectly touched on why this is good for the market.
Wireless ISP's are indeed harsh with their data prices. I also agree with you that consumers are accepting that prices. What you fail to take into consideration is that consumers accept the prices because there are no real mobile wireless alternative.

The alternative you hint at, is to go without.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Anakha56..... request of having stuff in a single post completed.... oh wait you are an admin... :oops:
:lol: It aint our job to do such things ;). But yes thank you :).