A thread for KK: Organizing your desktop.

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

A thread for KK: Organizing your desktop.

Post by Anakha56 »

So to follow from KK's messy looking desktop I thought it would be great for a thread on how to tidy ones desktop.

First one to help tidy ones desktop: Fences

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/
http://download.cnet.com/Fences/3000-20 ... 09535.html
CNET editors' review

Reviewed by: Jessica Dolcourt on October 05, 2009

If you're losing the battle over your workspace to your desktop icons, a secret weapon is one click away. Fences quickly and easily organizes your icons into separate windows on your desktop, either automatically or manually. Labeling these boxes helps keep programs, photos, files, and Web links together, or you might choose to group by project rather than by file type. Whatever your logic, you'll be able to drag and drop fences (and the shortcuts within them) anywhere on your desktop.

You can furthermore drag and drop shortcuts anywhere, and resize the fence. A scroll bar pops up so you can find your icons in fences that you've resized to be smaller than their contents. In addition to sorting shortcuts, you can cleverly hide them completely by double-tapping the desktop; double-tapping again resurfaces them. Fences helpfully lets you exclude select fences from hiding. Customization tools can change the color scheme or take snapshots of your layout at any time, in case you'd like to switch among them without completely redoing your arrangement.

We just wish that creating a new fence was smoother and took fewer steps, and that you could create rules for certain files types to automatically download into specific fences. Perhaps we'll see that in a future premium version. In the meantime, we recommend Fences to anyone looking for a fast, fresh solution to persistent desktop clutter.
You could also create toolbars that get placed in your start menu to get easy access to your most used files and apps. Follow the instructions at the following website to see how to do this, it is in XP but should work for Win7.

http://allthingsmarked.com/2007/05/21/h ... -programs/

Anyone else got tips or apps to assist KK and other users? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: A thread for KK: Organizing your desktop.

Post by KALSTER »

I use fences, still, my desktop is covered in icons. At least a double click in empty space hides them.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

my desktop is fine thanks.... i know where everything is and i don't have to go through many directories to get what i want....

as soon as i get my laptop back i will see if anything has changed and then just organise it again and post a pic....
the Cat's desktop is far more cluttered than mine!!
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Another way to keep ones desktop from getting messy...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-You ... nd-Stylish
How to Make Your Windows 7 Desktop Organized and Stylish

Though leaving program shortcuts, files, and folders randomly on desktop is a good idea since you can access them quickly and easily, for sometime later, you will find your desktop very messy and difficult to reorganize those files.

In this hub I will show you my personal way of organizing the desktop in Windows 7 to make it neat and tidy as well as to make it look more stylish which you can relax and enjoy with it.

Here's the steps:

1. If you have too many shortcuts on desktop that you don't really use it every time, simply just move them to a single folder. You can name the folder "shortcuts" or anything else that you prefer. Only leave a few shortcuts outside

Follow the steps for a possible cleaner desktop...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... lists.html

Creating custom jump lists for Win7.
How to Create Custom Jump Lists in Windows 7

Information
I made a little tool which lets you put 10 files and/or apps in a jump lists in custom groups.
Stumbled across this while hunting for how to create a custom service for Win7...
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Nice thread. I hope there's some good tips as I like using gadgets and sidebars and docks and so on.
So here's my tip of the day for KK:

Right click empty space on desktop -> Select "View" -> Unselect "Show Desktop Icons"

:wink:
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Lol, I've got absolutely 0 icons on my desktop.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

keep saving stuff to your desktop - makes it really easy to delete all your stuff
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

my desktop is now back in order.... everything back in its place.... :D

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Damn that is a mess.... Ok now repeat after me....

CTRL+A
SHIFT+DEL
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

uh.... NO!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

*shudder*

My dear that is awful... :(
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

it's my desktop.... it works for me... you don't have to use it or look at it so please move along to the next person's desktop...!!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol:

Anyway here is something else that can help:

http://cybernetnews.com/gmote-mouse-ges ... r-windows/
gMote: Mouse Gestures for Windows

In the past we’ve talked about some mouse gesture applications for Windows including ones that targeted specific applications like Firefox. For some people these gestures can save significant amounts of time day in and day out. If you’re one of those people you should probably know that there’s a new mouse gesture program in town, and it’s called gMote.

There are some things that really make gMote unique. For starters it doesn’t have a predefined set of motions that are used to initiate an action. Instead you record all of your actions so that it knows exactly how you draw them. Your only limitation is what you can draw with your mouse.

The next awesome thing is all of the different actions you have at your disposal ready to be assigned to a gesture. The list includes launching a program, opening a folder, executing a keyboard combination/shortcut, and other common actions like going back/forward in your browser. You can even do things like control your media player.

Sounds good, doesn’t it? To get started all you’ll have to do is download gMote, extract the files, and run it. There’s nothing to install.
If that one does not work:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... se-shaker/
Windows Mouse Gesture App – Mouse Shaker
By Nakodari on Nov 20 2009 Leave a comment

Mouse Shaker is a small Windows mouse gesture tool that can help users perform various actions with simply shaking the mouse. Suppose you want an active window to close when you draw a big “C”, this can be achieved with Mouse Shaker. Similarly you can open Firefox browser by drawing an “F”.

Once it is running, you will see the main window where you can add or edit the gestures. If you want to learn more, hit the How To Use button and start watching the tutorial
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

KatrynKat wrote:my desktop is fine thanks.... i know where everything is and i don't have to go through many directories to get what i want....

as soon as i get my laptop back i will see if anything has changed and then just organise it again and post a pic....
the Cat's desktop is far more cluttered than mine!!
Sssshhhhhhh
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

I for one also don't like littering my desktop with icons...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

thEnaileDonE wrote:I for one also don't like littering my desktop with icons...
100% agreed. I don't want a single icon on my desktop. I'm really OCD about that. Stuff like "Fences" is a crazy concept for me, because it's like an organised form of a mess. So...

I really used to be into the whole Desktop Modding thing, but I soon got over it, because in my case, I never really used any of that stuff. While having every possible statistic about my machine graphed out on my desktop might LOOK cool, I never read that stuff, so what's the point? So now, I have an empty desk, and on the bottom right I have a clock and a bandwidth monitor.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

So Dae, I suppose you have your stuff hotkeyd ?
Or do you navigate the start button to get to progs ?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Sojourn wrote:So Dae, I suppose you have your stuff hotkeyd ?
Right Click -> Pin to Task Bar

Best invention EVER
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sojourn wrote:So Dae, I suppose you have your stuff hotkeyd ?
Most of the apps that I use regularly are always open. I use virtual Desktops, so it's always very organised.

Desktop 1: Browser
Desktop 2: Music
Desktop 3: Tweetdeck
Desktop 4: Photoshop/Lightroom

Looky:

I have the desktops hotkeyed, so to go to my "next desktop" I press Win+S, and previous desktop is Win+Q. So I can get to all my apps really quickly and efficiently, and there's absolutely NO minimizing happening, ever. If there's anything else I need to run that I don't run often, I just run it from the Start menu search. So if I wanted to run Skype, for example, I'd hit Win, type "sk" and then Skype is the first option, so I just hit enter and it launches.

I'm kind of an efficiency nut, so stuff like this is stuff that I spend lots of time perfecting for myself, and making it right for what makes sense to me, and then drilling into my brain. I have a sick amount of hotkeys set up with AutoHotKey that I use for browsing/navigating. Without a mouse, I could use my browser perfectly if it had absolutely NO toolbars/tab bars/etc. In fact, that's why I'm so excited about Google removing all of that crap with their future releases.
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 27 May 2011, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

DJV Is that an external app for the multiple desktops? If so the link? How much memory does it chew? That looks very nice indeed... :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

"External app"? What does that mean? :(

It's an app called Dexpot. I found it about 18 months ago, and it's something I can't live without anymore. Dexpot and AutoHotKey are apps that I'd die without now.

According to Task Manager, it's using about 8MB. I'm actually a beta tester for the Dexpot team, so I'm not sure if I'm running a beta release now or a stable release, but it's very stable either way.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I did not know if it was a Win7 built in feature or external thats all :P.

Awesome! Will download both now for home. Could also use it for work. Thanks DJV that trumps everything I have inputted into this thread :).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Also don't have a single icon on my desktop. I use Spotlight or the Dock to launch any app I need or find any document and my Windows 7 VM always has the apps I use running and I just suspend it when shutting down my laptop so that it all fires up again within seconds when I need it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahaha, you're welcome :)

Autohotkey has a bit of a learning curve, but it's CRAZY powerful. You can use it for more than hotkeys too. You can use it to move windows around without having to click on the title bar, resize windows without clicking the edges, etc etc etc. So if you get into it, it's very powerful :)