REALISTIC features of cell phones in the near future.

Any hardware related topics go here.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

REALISTIC features of cell phones in the near future.

Post by KALSTER »

What are some of the features you would like to see in a mobile phone in the near future, REALISTICALLY?

I think Nokia has the most potential. They have great build quality, technology and offer things like free voice navigation and Office suits with editing.

The E7 has many of the features already that I'd like to see and is nearly the perfect phone for me ATM. Specifications.

Additions I'd like to see:

1) A better CPU, like the 1GHz ARM or the up and coming duel cores.
2) A track pad at the back of the flip-up screen.
3) The 8MP camera should have auto focus and Xenon flash at least. Better resolution would be great.
4) Should be fitted with a screen with proper resolution, like a bigger version of the one found on the new E6 (with even better resolution than the iPhone 4).
5) A MicroSD slot.
6) Better OS like Windows Mobile 7 or finally a working MeeGo.
7) An updated GPU.

I think the combination of the track pad, QWERTY keyboard and large high resolution screen would make it very capable and, certainly for me, would take a lot of the drudgery and inconvenience out of working with spreadsheets and the like on a mobile phone. A fully functional mini office machine.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: REALISTIC features of cell phones in the near future.

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You know that most modern phones match the specs you want, right? 1Ghz CPUs in phone are old news, and there have been dual core phones for months already :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:You know that most modern phones match the specs you want, right? 1Ghz CPUs in phone are old news, and there have been dual core phones for months already :)
I do know, yes. ;) I mean a phone that has it all at the same time and that could be coming out in the near future, like the next year or so. I am not aware of a phone that offers all of those extra features along with the hardware QWERTY keyboard and such.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

LED flash light :|
Seriously. Why do I even have to ask? A bunch of the older (and basic) phones had this nifty little hardware addition, and I find it really tedious to go through the whole cam interface on my Satio every time I want to use the light.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ Yeah, why not simply a long-press short cut key that turns on the flash?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

KALSTER wrote:^^ Yeah, why not simply a long-press short cut key that turns on the flash?
Or you can load a widget onto any Android phone that does it at the tap of the screen :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
KALSTER wrote:^^ Yeah, why not simply a long-press short cut key that turns on the flash?
Or you can load a widget onto any Android phone that does it at the tap of the screen :P
I have that on my Satio. However, I still need to open the lens cover, which initiates the cam interface, which takes time. Then I have to exit said interface, which takes time, then only run the app that contols the LED flash. :roll:

A hardware button with a separate LED light mounted on top of the phone, like the old Nokia's, please :)
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Lame.

Try quad cores
Physx GPUs that shut off unless needed.
Cameras that have a lens attachment which increases the quality of the image you get but that the rails that the lens sits on doesn't intrude.
Cameras with better quality CMOS sensors.

Personally I think Cameras on phones are just used to send naughty pics and media coverage by countries that have massive censorship. Other than that? Pointless.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

I use my Cellphone cam much more than our Digital Camera. It's just much more comfortable.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i don't care so much about improving the features of the new phones. i think the first thing they should do is work to imrpover battery life on these new age phones. and i don't mean oh disable everything so that u can have 3 days battery. i mean have everything on as long as possible and last mayb 3 days. then with everything off maybe a week. the features are useless if the battery gets drained in 6 hours.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I'm sure they could put in the highest res screens,and 8mp cameras with optical zoom and the best of everything else. And then the phone will end up with an unrealistic price tag and no one will buy it. I think they have to sacrifice a few features just so the phone is affordable
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

What you mean like the iPhone 4 costing a ton and then Steve Jobs telling everyone that they are holding it wrong? I doubt price matters that much to some people.

I want a charge pad where you put your phone down on the desk and it charges automatically.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Maybe one day (a bit unrealistic I know) we will have a cellphone that can we can us to have actual decent phone conversations with. Or maybe be able to remove the battery without the time and date resetting.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Siemens wrote:Maybe one day (a bit unrealistic I know) we will have a cellphone that can we can us to have actual decent phone conversations with. Or maybe be able to remove the battery without the time and date resetting.
Ke? Retry in english please.
You know, natural progression of speech ability is supposed to supersede forum posts, never mind "having actual decent conversations".

And as far as I am aware, even a cheapy phone keeps the date/time with a batt changeover? Mine does.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I've never had a phone that keeps the time or date when the battery is removed. Very annoying.
If you superior intellect can't put an obvious "e" to complete the word "use" then maybe you should be the one re-examining your English. Oh, and the "an". I do beg your pardon. That does make the post completely unreadable.

Okay let me redo that. What I actually wrote there was:
I wish cellphones had the ability to become so excited on Fridays. I mean wouldn't it be cool if cellphones got up at 7am and had their cereal? Then rush to the bus stop just to ride with a kids in a convertible instead?

I hope that's more clear for you.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

SykomantiS wrote:LED flash light :|
Yeah, a phone with a Flesh light. That'll be awesome. :wink:

That is what you meant, isn't it?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Errm, No :|

That's just weird. Tho jamin might want one :lol:
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I do have Nokia C7 (The N8's baby brother) and one of my favourite features is the flashlight. I Just hold the slide-unlock for 2 seconds and the Camera's LED Flash light turns on as a torch. Couldn't be simpler. And it's a really awesome one at that. Haven't seen a brighter one yet. I'm thinking the E7 will have the same function.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Siemens wrote:I've never had a phone that keeps the time or date when the battery is removed. Very annoying.
If you superior intellect can't put an obvious "e" to complete the word "use" then maybe you should be the one re-examining your English. Oh, and the "an". I do beg your pardon. That does make the post completely unreadable.

Okay let me redo that. What I actually wrote there was:
I wish cellphones had the ability to become so excited on Fridays. I mean wouldn't it be cool if cellphones got up at 7am and had their cereal? Then rush to the bus stop just to ride with a kids in a convertible instead?

I hope that's more clear for you.
Crystal. :thumbleft:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

JollyJamma wrote:I want a charge pad where you put your phone down on the desk and it charges automatically.
It's called Powermat. ;)
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Longer.

Battery.

Life.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Synthesis wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:LED flash light :|
Yeah, a phone with a Flesh light. That'll be awesome. :wink:

That is what you meant, isn't it?

Now that's a phone one could truly love.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Stuart wrote:
JollyJamma wrote:I want a charge pad where you put your phone down on the desk and it charges automatically.
It's called Powermat. ;)
I want it naaaaaow!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

They are working on batteries where the charge path has been optimized to the point where a charge that would normally take an hour or more, would now take minutes.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Don't care how long it takes to charge, care how long it needs between charges.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken