The Kinect Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

The Kinect Thread

Post by Siemens »

Okay,before you all say this should be in the games or hardware section. This thread isn't about the games, maybe the hardware yes but actually it is more than that.(also I have searched for a topic already made but havent found one)

I'm sure most of you know that some hackers have made opensource drivers for the Kinect to work on PC and ever since then there has been insanly good concepts and ideas that has been made. This is a topic about these concepts and ideas and just to generally share anything interesting you've found.

This really is an interesting topic for me. It may actually redefine the way we use computers.
Check out these videos and see if you agree.

The first Kinect PC game coming:

These links are reports and videos that isnt from youtube:
How it all started
Microsoft is okay with the hacks
I really like this one :Shadow puppets
How a game controller can change the way you work
Skynet
NSFW : We had to see this coming
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadokoro/ (cant find the video)
Kinect can detect (man) boobs
Kinect wasted in video games
Kinect can turn you into a mutant
3D room modelling
(NEW)Microsoft wants to increase the accuracy
(NEW)Kinect drivers coming to PC from the manufacturers
(NEW)The first Kinect PC game

(I got all these videos via kotaku ... duh)

Also the purpose of this thread is NOT to promote hacking.
Last edited by Siemens on 22 Dec 2010, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: The Kinect Thread

Post by Tribble »

I will take a look as soon as my work is done - looks interesting though.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I had a look at the Kinect and whilst the technology is cool, the games that use it leave me cold. (If I want to excercise, I'll go to the gym - better perv value)

This seeems waaaay more interesting. Thanks Siemens.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Plus in the gym you look like slightly less of a dolt flailing around.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

-Prometheus- wrote:
Siemens wrote:Also the purpose of this thread is NOT to promote hacking.
Hey, now don't get personal here. There's nothing wrong with hacking.
Well some people are just very sensitive on this forum and I don't want to start another fight. :/
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hman wrote:Plus in the gym you look like slightly less of a dolt flailing around.
Speak for yourself...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I don't wana stand up in my room and move around etc. Imagine how tired you will get standing for a few hours straight
and making all kinds of movements! I think it would be really nice to operate the OS via Kinect but sooner or later I think we would get tired of
Of waving our arms around to control the PC...

Well that's my opinion anyway,everyone else is entitled to their own. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference...
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Slimshaedy wrote:I don't wana stand up in my room and move around etc. Imagine how tired you will get standing for a few hours straight
and making all kinds of movements! I think it would be really nice to operate the OS via Kinect but sooner or later I think we would get tired of

Well that's my opinion anyway,everyone else is entitled to their own. I think at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference...
(Finally a reply which is related.)
I understand what you are saying and I think it won't replace the mouse and keyboard. I do however believe it can be a great add-on to use.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Slimshaedy wrote:I don't wana stand up in my room and move around etc. Imagine how tired you will get standing for a few hours straight

Yes. But imagine giving a presentation and being able to move items on the screen without utilising a physical input device?
I'd pay a pretty penny for that functionality.
We have used 'interactive whiteboards' that cost a packet but are extremely limited in their application. This opens up the realm a bit?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

doo_much wrote:

Yes. But imagine giving a presentation and being able to move items on the screen without utilising a physical input device?
I'd pay a pretty penny for that functionality.
We have used 'interactive whiteboards' that cost a packet but are extremely limited in their application. This opens up the realm a bit?
In that case I think the Kinect is reasonably priced for what it can do. Let's just hope that they'll start making some official products etc.

Oh and some news.
Microsoft wants to increase the capabilities of the kinect by upping it's restricted redolution. It should be able to pick up finer movements. So who is ready for Air Guitar Hero?? :P
http://kotaku.com/5714843/microsoft-wan ... s-accuracy
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

The open source drivers are being released via the manufacturers(thanks pcf for the news)
http://www.pcformat.co.za/website_home_ ... ntent/603/

And the first Kinect PC game:
http://kotaku.com/5715880/first-kinect- ... from-korea
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

-Prometheus- wrote:Wonder why it always takes somebody else to do something before ms does. They even made some threatening statements to discourage developement. If I had a product I would actually want it used as widely as possible.
The exsisting games for the Kinect is a slap in the face. There is a youtube video of a guy playing a racing game and just sitting still and he finished 3rd in the race. the car turned by itself somehow.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

kinect as an input mechanism is retarded... it's even worse than those console controller jobbies... it's novel, but hardly the most economical or productive...

i'm sure there are swathes of tech-addicted gushers out there who will get their under-rods all soiled at this opinion, but they can be safely discounted as being insane...

i got to sit through some bastardised version of NCIS the other night, (courtesy of a blown lcd), when the protagonists where playing at minority report with something similar, (one of them gushing about how cool it was), and all i could think was "it takes you a 30 seconds to zoom a picture? this is using your time productively?... seriously?" at which point i was asked to go read a book...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I saw that crap as well rusty, that looked really uncomfortable.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I have been thinking that the Kinect opens up the door to some proper mainstream VR gaming, no? You'd wear a pair of video glasses and the Kinect would track your head and other movements. When you look left, the Kinect picks it up and updates the picture going to the glasses so you look left in the game. Marching in place will advance you through the game. You would be in little danger of tumbling over furniture, as the Kinect could give a subtle warning when you are moving out of the playing area, maybe by adding a faint red glow to the corner of the viewing area corresponding to the direction you are moving out of the paying area to. You would be able to look at your game arms, legs and body in the game. I would sell my kidney for a system like that.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

... i'd sooner spend the time stabbing myself with a spork...

the only positive application hinted at was for the surgeon's use during surgery to manipulate monitors/scans/etc while also preventing contamination, (a job currently performed by nursing staff)

but then i pictured the surgeon up to his elbows in gore flinging his arms around the place and realised that it would only result in messier surgeries... :/

i think the pr0n industry is going to own this...
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:
i think the pr0n industry is going to own this...
I'm probably going to hate myself for this, but...

Explain please?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Lol, just read my first post. There is an article about a sex game.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

you haven't been on the internets for very long, have you :lol:

i can't imagine why the pr0n pedlars would want a simple system to translate skeletal gyrations into electronic impulses capable of being piped around the globe...
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

KALSTER wrote:I have been thinking that the Kinect opens up the door to some proper mainstream VR gaming, no? You'd wear a pair of video glasses and the Kinect would track your head and other movements. When you look left, the Kinect picks it up and updates the picture going to the glasses so you look left in the game. Marching in place will advance you through the game. You would be in little danger of tumbling over furniture, as the Kinect could give a subtle warning when you are moving out of the playing area, maybe by adding a faint red glow to the corner of the viewing area corresponding to the direction you are moving out of the paying area to. You would be able to look at your game arms, legs and body in the game. I would sell my kidney for a system like that.

How would you implement this in a fast-paced first person shooter?
What action would you perform to change weapons, fire or reload.
Evasive action?

/Marching in place does sound like a cunning way of encouraging exercise among more....shall we say...couch-bound
gamers.

With a few strategically placed web-cams.... :whistling:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

ooops
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 01:05, edited 2 times in total.