Prescott 2.8

Any hardware related topics go here.
SnowMonkey

Prescott 2.8

Post by SnowMonkey »

Would you buy a Prescott 2.8?

Got anything to say about the prescott? Lemme know cause I'm considering buying one, wanna know what your views are.
Schweet.

Cya :arrow:
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
n00b

Post by n00b »

snowy - they are nice chips - but they run a bit hot - so i wouldnt buy a prescott to do any overclocking even though they can overclock substantially - but im gonna assume you wish to run it at stock speeds - but those still run a bit toasty so id stick to an equivalent northwood which will not run as hot or maybe even a northwood 3.0c

if you wish to dabble in watercooling or some better forms of cooling than the standard intel HSF then yeah go for the prescott - though for gaming the northwood is still better whilst for video editting the prescott is substantially better. I assume that you want to make use of the mobo that you won from the modding article

dont let me sway your thinking too much though - read anandtech and toms reviews of the prescott to see for yourself - but IMHO id say stick to the northwoods still - prescott is going to mature when the D0 stepping is released which should be a cooler and faster version which will scale to higher speeds but im confident that this stepping is only going to be available in the socket T (LGA775) versions which will be released in july.

at any rate its a nice chip but just a bit too hot if you dont mind me repeating what ive said above
n00b

Post by n00b »

sorry for two posts in a row - totally forgot to mention above that the prescott has a longer pipeline ie 31 stage as opposed to the 20 stage of the northwood so its most likely going to be slower despite having double the amount of L2 cache - the prescott will improve as it scales to above 4ghz which is where it will kill any northwood at the same clock if northwood can officially go that high
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Thanks for the info n00b.

Yep I wanna use it with the board I won from PCF. "Shot, every one at PCF"

The reason why I'm thinking of getting the prescott is it's R50 more then the northwood.

Looks like it gonna be a hard choice.
Mybe I'll flip a cion and see what happens.

Agg well.
Thanks n00b.

BTW don't you think you should change your nick, as you are nolonger a n00b?!?

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
n00b

Post by n00b »

BTW don't you think you should change your nick, as you are nolonger a n00b?!?
LOL - dont wanna have too many nicknames here - i was registered here previously under a different name and guys didnt want to bother about me or bothered me too much so i changed my nick - anyway thanx for saying that im not a n00b but id prefer to remain considered as one

and for that socket 478 mobo i would definitely use the northwood version since its got the better all round performance and is only weaker in video editting - despite the price i think that the prescott is only going to be a great product when the D0 stepping is introduced
Mybe I'll flip a cion and see what happens.
LOL - that would be a good way to decide though
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hi Snowy,
How ya doing lately? Hopefully good.....

Anyway, I would definately use the Northwood on that mobo, Precsott cause to much strain on the Northie boards, as the vreg's is straining somewhat...so, it heats up the mosfets, which can't be too good.

Rather sell that mobo, and wait for LGA 775, or keep that mobo and get a 3.0C for a good price...I can help if you need 1 from Rectron......

So, me votes Northie 3.0C....

Br,
MrBean.
Soap

Post by Soap »

The Prescott's get hotter than the Northwoods, and espcially, not many mobo's today meet the FMB 1.5 standard and would have problems with the power delivery. The precoot furthermore performs worse with Cinebench than a equivalent Northwood. Then Intel increased the pipelines from 21 to 31 for Instructions. And the 13 new SSE intructions can't be utilised as all the software first has to be changed, though the Intel C++ 8.0 will support the new SSE instructions.

The HT has been improved so that multi-tasking is experiencing a increased performance.

The biggest problem with the Prescott is the heat. Prescott over 3.2 GHz need more than 100Watt. Therfor the 1.0 FMB standard is ineffective. If you buy a Prescoot under 3.2 GHz then you can put it in to your motherboard with 90% knowing it will work, as these still use the FMB 1.0 standard.
These Motherboards just require a BIOS flash to detect the new Prescott.
For the future, CPUs greater than 3.6 GHz will only fit into the Socket 775 (--> Socket 'T')
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Heya.

Uhmm I havn't bought any thing yet. Still deciding. I'm happy with the system I got, I was looking at selling the board, but I don't know how much to ask for it. It's brand spanking new, I havn't even taken it out it's plastic.

Do you guys know of any one that is looking for a P4 board? Send me a PM.

Guess we'll c.

Thanks for the help anyways. I think the 3.0C is a bit to pricey. 2.8C ain't got the performance I want.

Anyone wanna buy my ABIT NF7 - S and 2600+ Barton? R1400.

Cheers. :wink:

Smart-IT

MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Mmm...3.0C is not much more than the 2.8C...maybe someone is trying to do you in......what do you consider to be a bit pricey?

Br,
MrBean.
Soap

Post by Soap »

2.8C ain't got the performance I want.
What do you want? Just get a 64 CPU machine with Windows 2000 Datacenter and 64 GIG RAM :P

Your mobo will surely support it, just check the mobo manufacturer's site for a BIOS update :wink:
Last edited by Soap on 18 Apr 2004, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Lol @ Mr Bean, I own my own PC shop.

I did'nt want to spend more then R1500 on a new cpu. The more or less R300 more then the 2.8c. Is it actualy worth the extra bux?

Ok, help me here pls.
Why would you buy the 3.0c over the 2.8c.
Pls tell me what are mosfets?

Thanks.. :arrow:

Smart-IT

Soap

Post by Soap »

There's not much more performance over 200 MHz, that's exactly 7.14% and not necessary :wink:
Last edited by Soap on 18 Apr 2004, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Soap wrote:
2.8C ain't got the performance I want.
What do you want? Just get a 64 CPU machine with Windows 2000 Datacenter and 64 GIG RAM :P

Your mobo will surely support it, just check the mobo manufacturer's site for a BIOS update :wink:
Opps should check my posts. That made no sence!

Smart-IT

Soap

Post by Soap »

It's just a waste of money getting the best stuff, even though 3 GHz isn't the best, it's still not necessary as any CPU greater than 2.4 GHz will run all upcoming games with no problems
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hi Snowy,
It helps owning your own shop.....hehe...

Anyway, MOSFET=Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistor......what this all means is that they are the voltage regulators on your mobo supplying a constant, stable current to your circuitry.......so, they are the main succers providing you a clean, stable overclock......the more of them, the better......6 small ones is better (read more efficient) than 2 or 3 big ones for example......and of course the more, the less load per channel....

They should be small, black square little components, roughly 5mmx5mm dimensions, with a small metal tab at 1 end soldered in close proximity to you cpu socket......

Touch them when running a "Presshot" (pun intended) cpu, you will quickly find out which are the mosfets....just don't touch the legs on these, as they are very static-sensitive.....

If you plan o/clocking, get the 2.8c, it should go nicely to at least 3.5-3.6 gig on water, and would be 36 or so deg C under load.....and very powerful!

Br,
MrBean.