Domain Transfer

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Koko_Lion

Domain Transfer

Post by Koko_Lion »

Ok, I have been getting tons of people asking me if I do domain/email hosting. At first I would refer them elsewhere.

I have my own profile setup with Hetzner, been with Hetzner for as long as I can remember, but have only been hosting my own domain and email etc:

I have recently given this some more thought and have decided to take up the challenge.

* Is Hetzner a good choice, or have I been very lucky with service so far?
* Do any outstanding domain fees need to be settled first between the client and the current hosting company before transfer?
* How long is the downtime during transfer?
* Am I allowed to ask the current hoster for the domains traffic and usage reports? Better to help me put them on the right package.
* What can go wrong so I am ready?

Reason I am concerned, Is these guys are big companies that deal in big money a day. So I really would like this to go smooth and glitch free. I have called Hetzner, but unlike the support side the administration department doesn't seem to be very intelligent and helpful. Couldn't answer the above questions.

Tanks
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Domain Transfer

Post by Anakha56 »

Um Koko you have stressful day? Reason for asking is because you have this under gaming... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Oops! :oops:

Would you please be so kind? :wink:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Odd I cant find the move button :oops:. I know I am having a bad day... :?

*edit*

Moved to General...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Mondays! :(
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Bump

Nobody? :(
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

you have the right to ask your hosting company anything.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

I have a dedi server hosted in Germany. I've had nothing but excellent service from Hetzner. To answer some of your questions:
Is Hetzner a good choice, or have I been very lucky with service so far?
It's great.
Do any outstanding domain fees need to be settled first between the client and the current hosting company before transfer?
Generally yes. I usually do the co.za registrations myself and include it in the initial setup fee.
How long is the downtime during transfer?
DNS propagation can take upto 24 hours. I usually send the transfer ticket to co.za on a Friday afternoon and at the end of the month.
Am I allowed to ask the current hoster for the domains traffic and usage reports? Better to help me put them on the right package.
You may, there is nothing wrong about. It's crucial to ask them for the current ftp details so that you may backup their website.
What can go wrong so I am ready?
Make yourself a checklist and stick to it, you shouldn't make a mistake. Include the following:

*List of e-mail addresses - Warn the client ahead of time that if the clients POP their mail that they will need to change the passwords on their individual PC's
*Backup the site and reinstate, do this in advance and test before sending the transfer ticket
*Many hosting providers require a letter of cancellation from the client before they will accept the transfer ticket, speak to the current provider and get all their requirements

I'm a little hungover but if you need anything else answered I'll do my best :D
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Thanks so much for the info. Hopefully it goes problem free, otherwise I shall ask here.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

I think its best to carry on from this thread as its still related in a way.

Domain transfers have gone well. Except one little thing.

One site uses an SQL database for something on the site, the developers have emailed me the script to upload. I logged into the interface and tried to upload the file to the server but it gives me some kind of authorization error?
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Can you post the error Barry ?
Temporary Absence
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

If you go to this site: http://www.vcce.co.za and on the side their go to "Site Plans & Pricing", on the map click any zone. The page should give you some kind of SQL error...

...I was then asked to upload an SQL file to the server to fix this. When I try I get the following error:

http://prideonsite.co.za/upload/error.jpg
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Problem is the reference. :(

The SQL dump file is referencing "vcce" whilst the database is called "vcceac_db1".

I can't create a new database called "vcce" as the servers minimum is 6 characters. The developer can't help as the SQL database was created using some guy who is longer available.

So basicly I am told I need to change every reference of "vcce" in the dump file to "vcceac_db1". Is there an easy way to do this without going one by one in notepad?

Help! :(
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Notepad is your best bet.
Open it up and do a find/replace all. How this an issue?

A MySQL dump is raw text and perfectly readable in any word editor - windows or 'nix
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Oops, forgot about the replace all feature. It worked, well 90% there.

The SQL error has gone and dump file has imported. However the database entries are now not displaying on the site.

In the dump file there are cases like:

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE  `vcce`.
Where its on its own

and

Code: Select all

`vcce_feedback`
With "vcce" being part of something.

The replace all obviously replaced "vcce" in both cases with "vcceac_db1". This might be why the database imported successfully but the information is not visible. There a command to replace all except certain ones? Otherwise I guess it's one by one :(
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Never mind! All working. :yay:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Well there you go :D
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

replace all vcceac_db1_ with vcce?
[edit]don't delay. post today...[/edit]
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page