Itunes

Any software related topics go in here.
KaosHunter

Itunes

Post by KaosHunter »

Hi everyone

i recently tryed to download itunes 10 but something happened during instaling that caused the file to corrupt and i had re-download it but now the program says 'C:\Users\Josh\Downloads\itunes64setup.exe is not a valid Win32 Application'
Tryed downloading many times but says the same and ive also had problems with downloading programs.

Josh
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.40 Ghz
6 GB Kingston Hyper X 1800 Mhz with cooling fan
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2x MSI HD 5870 in CrossfireX
(HD 5870 Lightning & Standard HD 5870)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Samsung SyncMaster B2330 23'' Full HD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Itunes

Post by Tribble »

I have had trouble with it too - not the same though. It won't recognise my iPod as a valid device - no matter how many times I remove the program and reinstall. Perhaps you need to uninstall it and refresh windows?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

are you using a download manager?

i assume you are in fact running 64-bit windoze?
KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

no i was not using a download manager but i just discorvered that i was my Internet explorer. downloaded firefox and tryed then and it worked first time.
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.40 Ghz
6 GB Kingston Hyper X 1800 Mhz with cooling fan
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2x MSI HD 5870 in CrossfireX
(HD 5870 Lightning & Standard HD 5870)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Samsung SyncMaster B2330 23'' Full HD
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

iTunes should die.

That is all.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

You have the 64-bit version of Itunes with a 32-bit operating system which is why it isn't working.

Download iTunes again, but download the 32-bit version.

Good luck :)
to ápeiro anima
Prime

Post by Prime »

UrBaN wrote:You have the 64-bit version of Itunes with a 32-bit operating system which is why it isn't working.

Download iTunes again, but download the 32-bit version.

Good luck :)
He's running:
according to his signature.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Good point, assuming it is the same PC.
to ápeiro anima
naughty

Post by naughty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:iTunes should die.

That is all.
why? - its one of the best audio related programs - even for windows users - it has an easy to use interface and with speakers like i have i have proved it to everyone who comes and listens it is the best sounding app ever for music playback on a PC - it sounds better than winamp and musicmatch jukebox and windows media player as well as foobar and to be honest to be able to use ALAC as a lossless audio codec is a boon - ALAC is less lossy than FLAC

so anyone who doesnt like i-tunes as an app is just totally anti-apple for no reason - cos to be brutally honest (and sorry to be boasting but this is not an idle boast it is a statement of fact) i have forgotten more about audio and audio related stuff than most people would ever get to learn in 20 lifetimes and to me i-tunes is simply the best sounding app on a PC or any form of computer that you could ever have

and from me thats saying a lot cos i normally hate anything apple with a passion - yet i will give credit where credit is due - you obviously wont hear it being better if your speakers dont really have the audio resolution capable of revealing this - and absolutely no computer speakers will be good enough to reveal this including the top of the ranges from logitech or creative or Klipsch ...... obviously im not using any of those

yet this is why i have to laugh when people ask me why i need such big speakers for my PC
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Prime

Post by Prime »

UrBaN wrote:Good point, assuming it is the same PC.
That said, the 32 bit one can be installed in 64 bit windows with some fiddling
Prime

Post by Prime »

naughty wrote:

That is all.
why? - its one of the best audio related programs - even for windows users - it has an easy to use interface and with speakers like i have i have proved it to everyone who comes and listens it is the best sounding app ever for music playback on a PC - it sounds better than winamp and musicmatch jukebox and windows media player as well as foobar and to be honest to be able to use ALAC as a lossless audio codec is a boon - ALAC is less lossy than FLAC

so anyone who doesnt like i-tunes as an app is just totally anti-apple for no reason - cos to be brutally honest (and sorry to be boasting but this is not an idle boast it is a statement of fact) i have forgotten more about audio and audio related stuff than most people would ever get to learn in 20 lifetimes and to me i-tunes is simply the best sounding app on a PC or any form of computer that you could ever have

and from me thats saying a lot cos i normally hate anything apple with a passion - yet i will give credit where credit is due - you obviously wont hear it being better if your speakers dont really have the audio resolution capable of revealing this - and absolutely no computer speakers will be good enough to reveal this including the top of the ranges from logitech or creative or Klipsch ...... obviously im not using any of those

yet this is why i have to laugh when people ask me why i need such big speakers for my PC
The only reason I have Itunes installed is because Winamp buggered up half the tracks on my Ipod. Itunes Import and rip facility is crap, even WMP is better.

MMJB is still the best though, pity it died so many years back. :(
naughty

Post by naughty »

Itunes Import and rip facility is crap, even WMP is better.
well i beg to differ - try ALAC vs WMA lossless - play it back on a decent playback system and "bob's yer uncle" - WMP is ridiculously useless to me

if you rip to Mp3 its possible maybe that itunes is not so good but i hardly would rip to mp3 - Alac is almost as good as having the original CD - and the CD's i rip to backup and store on hard drive are generally audiophile labels like sheffield lab's or telarc or chesky - even the stuff i would download is the stuff that you cannot buy at all anymore ie stuff like the Focal demo discs in lossless form - these dont commercially exist anymore to be able to purchase and the lossless downloads of those can only be played back in itunes unless you want to purchase the apps that can convert those into another codec but the problem then is that you will experience conversion losses - which kind of defeats the purpose

i suppose it depends on the type of music you listen to as well as the quality of the playback equipment you use

if you like you can visit me at my place and have a listen and compare the various codecs as well as the various apps - the closest app you will find in terms of sound quality to itunes is winamp but i stopped using that at winamp3 - i found winamp 5 to be too bloated and it spent more time and energy on other things that were useless to the purpose it was originally invented for ie to listen to music

also when i play music on the PC i dont apply any EQ ie all EQ and processing functionality is defeated to try and play back music as naturally as the playback equipment allows it to be - as ive said itunes still sounds the best and ALAC is a better codec than any other including FLAC and WMA lossless that ive experienced when it comes to the export and ripping process

as i have pointed out im no apple fanboy - because i find many of their products pointless but to be honest i cannot fault itunes in any way - once you set it up correctly and use it as intended it an awesome little app and definitely to my ears is the best sounding app ive come across for the purpose of playing music ........ maybe the fact that the cable between my PC and receiver/amplifier costs R600 has a lot to do with what i hear cos thats more than an average set of PC speakers costs before we get into the costs of my various related playback equipment - as a proportion my music playback equipment connected to my PC costs around 4 times more than the actual PC including my 27" monitor so rest assured my speaker system definitely has the resolution to make out the difference between junk and otherwise - and as far as i can hear itunes is great and everything else that i have tried is utterly second rate ....... also to make things clear i dont have "golden ears" ie i wont hear anything you dont - so anyone is welcome to come over to my place to see/hear for themselves (if they strongly feel inclined to do so) what im talking about
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

naughty. Resident Audiophile.

:lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

itunes should still die... not just because it's apple-crud but because it is bug-ridden, stupidly bloated and thoroughly superfluous for its function.

anyone arguing for its continued existence is sorely in need of counseling... digital audio reproduction has little to do with the application initiating the stream and everything to do with the underlying codec, the hardware and the quality of the system processing the stream...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

That is all.
+1

naughty wrote:

That is all.

Yes, iTunes may be a decent audio playing application but I have had endless trouble with it. My first laptop was a P3 500 with 512MB RAm - I installed a beautifully nLited version of WinXP, which took up next to no resources, on it. I then installed iTunes and the system died. It stole all my friggen resources. :evil: :evil:
And my problems didn't end there - most of the PCs I've had to fix ended up being broken due to some itunes stuff up.

iTunes for mac on the other hand is enjoyable to use.

Oh, and Quicktime needs to DIAF.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i will never forget the time they pushed safari out as an itunes "update" to bump their download number... :lol:

tjops, victims and newblets think itunes is worthwhile... winamp/rhythmbox offer superior performance at a fraction of the footprint....
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

There are much better, quicker and less bloated apps out there, but if you have an iPhone or a newer generation iPod Touch, iPad etc then iTunes is kind of a necessity...
naughty

Post by naughty »

winamp/rhythmbox offer superior performance at a fraction of the footprint....
rusty if you truly think that then you really fall into this category
tjops, victims and newblets
:P

winamp after version 3 is ridiculous and totally useless especially in terms of performance - i will try out the other app you mention

as for the audio quality being dependent on the codec - im sorry even mp3 sounds better on itunes than on any other app - my R20k worth of amps and speakers and associated cables (yes total cost of all cables being used is around R3k) linked to the PC will easily show you that - its got nothing to do with codecs or EQ's or settings or anything like that - and thats all im saying - it sounds better than any other app if you care about audio reproduction - if you dont then use all the other apps you like ...... especially if you use R200 computer speakers cos then it makes no difference whatsoever

for the record - so far ive had no issues with itunes for as long as ive been using it - and the updates allow you to deselect whatever you dont want :wink: unless you cant see a tick in a box
Last edited by naughty on 13 Sep 2010, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

naughty wrote:as for the audio quality being dependent on the codec - im sorry even mp3 sounds better on itunes than on any other app - my R20k worth of amps and speakers linked to the PC will easily show you that - its got nothing to do with codecs or EQ's or settings or anything like that
Why? What is so special about the iTunes program that makes audio played through it sound so good?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Monty wrote:
naughty wrote:as for the audio quality being dependent on the codec - im sorry even mp3 sounds better on itunes than on any other app - my R20k worth of amps and speakers linked to the PC will easily show you that - its got nothing to do with codecs or EQ's or settings or anything like that
Why? What is so special about the iTunes program that makes audio played through it sound so good?
who knows - maybe they coded it better - maybe they have a better idea of how to achieve a flatter frequency response from the resultant output of the app - but it has better stereo separation and definitely an improved frequency response and for sure smoother sound reproduction than any other app ive used using whatever audio codec you like (though WMA doesnt play and you have to convert that to some other format to play unless you use another app for that)

WMA ...... hence WMP has totally bloated bass and lower midrange which make your speakers have a popping sound - winamp and musicmatch jukebox have relatively spitty treble response with increased sibilance but it isnt a smooth sound at all

it is possible than when they coded the EQ they applied a different curve to their "flat" setting - so its got a bit of EQ applied to it even when their EQ section is bypassed (defeated ..... or what ever you want to call it)
There are much better, quicker and less bloated apps out there
quicker ..... i wont disagree - less bloated ...... definitely BUT better ...... well i have yet to find one better to me personally for my purposes (ie good sound) and trust me ive looked high and low
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

apparently, because it's apple, it's auto-magical...

like 'conditioning your lines' before musical goodness is achieved - a practice designed to catch the auodiophile with more money than sense... last i recall, the JReF folks have been after these hoaxters for some time now...

itunes processes AAC by default?... mp3 sucks regardless of compression level or equipment... it just does... ogg/vorbis still kicks behind, although ,sadly, not as widely supported...

i still contend that the itunes crud is loading, and executing, the same codec libs as any other player. a bit is a bit. a byte is a byte. there is no magic-smooth-byte. we're not talking LPs here... :/ i will always accept that i'm wrong, but speaking as someone who has actually written a functional decoder&player, i have a strong feeling this will not happen in a hurry... it may well be they're fiddling the MP3 data to eliminate the hissing and popping which infests it...

also, i'm half deaf. :P
naughty

Post by naughty »

apparently, because it's apple, it's auto-magical...
dude - ive stated many times im not an apple fanboy - i will though as stated elsewhere give credit where its due

whether you want to believe me or not doesnt bother me - itunes sounds better than any other app ive used so i will carry on using it - end of my story
also, i'm half deaf.
just to put it into perspective ...... im not :P :P :P
a bit is a bit. a byte is a byte. there is no magic-smooth-byte
be that as it may - the thing is before those bits play back as music it is converted back to analog - and then you are discounting the existence of DSP (digital signal processing) which allows for manipulation of the digital signal ie you can crossover frequencies and time delay them with delayed write operations and also apply EQ in the digital domain too :P

then there is also the digital to analog conversion process - lets not talk about jitter and clock mechanisms that exist in playback hardware cos its not within the scope of this discussion but what is is that the bye will convert exactly how the software that is converting it tells it to - all that bits and bytes stuff inside the computer is not what determines the sound - its how good the DAC is and the algorithms that the DAC uses that decodes those bits and bytes - in a PC this is dependent on the software used - in a player this is hard coded into the firmware of integrated chips and various circuitry but nevertheless the hardware will merely do what the software tells it to ..... is that not essentially the function of software

[sarcasm mode]and yes every audiophile just goes and buys magic stones to put onto their cd player just cos it affects biorythm's and magically makes the sound better - some of us dont do any research as to how sound can improve and what truly can make it improve - so we all of us dont know how sound and the hearing process works - all we do is blindly spend money on what could be construed as religious faith that something works like the maker claims it will[/sarcasm mode] :P :P :P

and dude i reiterate that im not fighting with you - you are welcome to stop by my place and check this out (bad hearing and all) if you feel like
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

This is what I hate about iTunes: Bonjour service installed without my permission and really what use is it to me? Apple Mobile Device Support installed and start at system startup without my permission and yet I have no iPhone, why do I need this? If Apple could just put a ask screen before these install I would be happy but to go and uninstall and all the services I dont need is a pain in the rear.

BTW naughty whats your opinion on the Zune player from Microsoft? http://www.zune.net/en-US/

*edit* I am not going to argue whether it sounds better or not but more about the bloat that it is... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

as a person who is not into all these fancy programs and really doesn't know the difference between the different programs and through which the music sounds better, i have no problems with iTunes. i'm on my 2nd iPod and everything is a ok. the only problem that i had is that the latest version cd that i got with the new iPod had a problem loading onto the laptop (86x) and had to download it from the net.

i am sure for all you guys who are more into computers than me and know about these things, will have the best programs and know better.
but for the general public (moi), it works
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

naughty wrote:im not fighting with you - you are welcome to stop by my place and check this out (bad hearing and all) if you feel like
:lol: i never fight on the internets, but even you would agree that audiophiles who expound the virtues of cable conditioning, or claim their ears are now superhuman and capable of detecting sounds outside of the 20-20000hz range of mechanical human limits are so full of it you could shovel for a week and still not find anything...
KatrynKat wrote:i have no problems with iTunes
liar! :lol: