Wireless problem in Windows 7

Network problem solving and tweaks
_Terry_

Wireless problem in Windows 7

Post by _Terry_ »

Hi
I am having trouble connecting to the internet with my wireless card only in Windows 7.
I can connect to the internet for max half a minute when I start up then it stops working. If I disconnect then connect to my wireless network I get internet for a few seconds then it stops.
I have tried disabling IP v6, setting the IP v4 properties to settings I know that work(at least on my wired connection), updating the driver and downloading the driver for windows 7 from the wireless cards manufactures website.
I have a Mega 105WR router and a Eusso 54Mbps wireless-G PCI adapter(UGL2454-VPK)
Please help, I have no idea what to try next.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Wireless problem in Windows 7

Post by Ron2K »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

A few things that I would look out for:
  • Wireless card drivers and router firmware. You did mention that you already updated your wireless card drivers, but I would also see if there's a firmware update for your router, and apply it if necessary.
  • Signal strength issues. How strong is the wireless signal? Remember, the more walls that the signal has to pass through, the more the signal will deteriorate, and it's worse in older properties where the walls are generally thicker.
  • Interference from other networks - how many wireless networks are in your area? It's possible that there's a misconfigured router in your vicinity, using the same channel that you are, and it's drowning you out. If you suspect this to be the case, you can change channels on your router (channels 1, 6 and 11 are the ones most recommended) and/or visit your neighbours armed with sharp pointy objects.
Hope this helps.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
_Terry_

Post by _Terry_ »

Hi Ron2K
Sorry for the delayed reply (was on holiday)
I have updated my wireless card's driver but not the router's firmware.
I'll update it tonight and let you know if it helped. I don't have any signal problems (4/5 bars)
and can only see 1 other network.
_Terry_

Post by _Terry_ »

Updated my router's firmware and still no luck