Help me choose website hosting provider.

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Synthesis

Help me choose website hosting provider.

Post by Synthesis »

Hi, hope I'm not breaking laws here as this is sort of a follow up from my mweb hosting problem which came to a conclusion I need a new host.

These are my requirements:

1) A typical wysiwyg site which I've already done. Nothing special, just pure html.
2) A phpBB forum for liasing between employees. I must be able to give each user individual rights as to what they can see on the forum. I assume this is a standard feature like PCF. Basically user groups, such as admins for our staff, normal users for clients and mods to be able to make changes to posts and create categories for posting. That sort of thing.
3) A upload/download facility. I don't want to mess with ftp etc. If a have a manual I need to clients to see, I just want to be able to login and create a new post and upload a file with it that they can download. Preferably I would like to have a "download" section that I can upload files to from anywhere. (I'll ask for help on this when the site and forums are up and running)
4) Space, I would say, a minimum of 3GB with 6GB transfer p/m or unlimited would be preferable if the price is low enough.
5) Does not need to be hosted locally, or preferably not as local is too expensive.
6) preferably Linux so that I have more "admin" control over my sites functions and such. This is open for debate and advice if you disagree.

This is a pretty urgent request. I wanted it the weekend but relaised I am wet behind the ears and putting up a forum like PCF isn't as easy as it looks.

Thanks Guys.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Help me choose website hosting provider.

Post by GreyWolf »

a friend of mine recently signed up with:
http://www.gridhost.co.za/

They seem to be part of a larger UK based hosting provider and they seem to be quite good.

Otherwise:
http://www.hetzner.co.za/
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

If you want overseas hosting I might be able to hook you up with a friend in Sweden who does web hosting...
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

As always with these questions, Elitehost gets my vote.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

wow, thanks for the quick replies guys, I should post more often during the day :wink:
Thanks for the offer Bladerunner, I would prefer to have it done with a local company.

So between these two, which would you say if right for me or offers the most features:

http://www.elitehost.co.za/?hosting-compare -S4 Elite for R89.95 p/m
http://www.gridhost.co.za/web_hosting.php -Unlimited for R129 p/m

I'll be back soon to check replies and get started on moving hosts. Gonna go check out properties. I'm moving up in the world. :mrgreen:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Look, when it comes down to it these hosting packages are pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. Once it's up and running you'll rarely need to contact support for anything.

That said, I've always been very impressed with support from Elitehost. I have them on Skype, so I can get real time support when they are online, and their response to their tickets is always pretty quick. And they usually are able to resolve whatever issues I'm having. Of course, the guy who runs Elitehost is also a member here (albeit a relatively inactive one!), so you have the added bonus of supporting a PCF member. :mrgreen:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

http://www.nigerianwebhosting.com

I take no responsibility if you use the above service.....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, thanks everyone. It's a coin toss and if it wasn't for stuart I would've gone for gridhost because their site is better and they explain in more detail what I get but I figure 'cos they use the same cpanel, I should get the same features. Keep in mind I don't know much. So as not to hurt Stuarts feelings, I'm moving over to elitehost. I need support to get the thing up and running. Never done databases or forums before.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It's dead easy to do all that stuff with Fantastico. You'll find you don't even need much help after just a little while. Still, Jason is always willing to help. ;)
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Cool. Thanks Stu. I'll wait until it's moved over then if I run into any problems I'll get advice here or contact their support.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Synthesis wrote:Hi, hope I'm not breaking laws here as this is sort of a follow up from my mweb hosting problem which came to a conclusion I need a new host.

These are my requirements:

1) A typical wysiwyg site which I've already done. Nothing special, just pure html.
2) A phpBB forum for liasing between employees. I must be able to give each user individual rights as to what they can see on the forum. I assume this is a standard feature like PCF. Basically user groups, such as admins for our staff, normal users for clients and mods to be able to make changes to posts and create categories for posting. That sort of thing.
3) A upload/download facility. I don't want to mess with ftp etc. If a have a manual I need to clients to see, I just want to be able to login and create a new post and upload a file with it that they can download. Preferably I would like to have a "download" section that I can upload files to from anywhere. (I'll ask for help on this when the site and forums are up and running)
4) Space, I would say, a minimum of 3GB with 6GB transfer p/m or unlimited would be preferable if the price is low enough.
5) Does not need to be hosted locally, or preferably not as local is too expensive.
6) preferably Linux so that I have more "admin" control over my sites functions and such. This is open for debate and advice if you disagree.

This is a pretty urgent request. I wanted it the weekend but relaised I am wet behind the ears and putting up a forum like PCF isn't as easy as it looks.

Thanks Guys.
90% of the functions you describe are easily accessible via a Joomla webpage with Kunena Forums.

And I'm kinda particular on using PCPerfectfor hosting. (aka weasel from the forums)
The pricing might not be the best but the service is exceptional...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey