GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

XFX: never again

Post by GreyWolf »

/begin rant

I used to think that this was a good brand. I used to have confidence in them. Not any more.

Last year in March we baught 7 new machines for the designers in our studio. As the resident techie I was asked to put togther the hardware specs, and I chose to porvide graphics through GeForce 9500GTs. Our supplier gave us a couple of Inno3D card and a couple of XFX ones due to stock levels.

To date ALL the XFX cards have failed, 2 failed today while I was upgrading our OS to Win 7 Pro 64.

One of the designer baught an XFX MoBo last year, and it too has failed before 1 year was up.

That kind of failure ret cannot be coincidence.

To XFX: your packaging sure is cool, too bad what really matters is absolute donkey feaces.

/end rant.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Frozenfireside

Re: XFX: never again

Post by Frozenfireside »

Have you tried the cards with the old OS to make sure they have failed? Seems odd I must admit. I am using my XFX 250GTS with win7 64bit and haven't had 1 problem.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Still have a 6800XT running at least 6 hours a day for the last well 4 years with no problems.I do not think as such it is the brand it self but perhaps the generation of the brand.

I mean have a look at the 7 8 and 9 series of cards across all brands have been hit by failures and a lot more than in the past.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I've heard similar stories about XFX, but I have had only pleasant experiences personally.

I have a 280GTX running on Windows 7 and working it's bottom off at the moment with no problems.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Notice how the models of card we have listed are middle to upper range (I have had a 6600GT XFX that STILL works as well) so maybe its the lower range of cards where you get what you pay for.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:To date ALL the XFX cards have failed, 2 failed today while I was upgrading our OS to Win 7 Pro 64.
No offence GW, but the issue there is the installation, and not the cards. Installing 7 isn't going to kill your video cards. You have some sort of driver issue or something going on there. If the cards did, in fact, fail while installing 7, you've encountered a RIDICULOUS coincidence.

Anyway, I've got to agree with the general consensus here (of everyone who replied, not you GW :P ), I've had nothing but win from XFX. My first XFX cards were the two 7800GTs I bought in 2006, after which I had an 8800GTS for about 18 months, and now I have a GTX295. I've never had any issues with any of my cards. Heck, I even accidentally overheated the one 7800 to the point where it melted the plastic on the heatsink once, and even THAT didn't kill the card.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

No offense taken. I failed to mention that the two cards that failed yesterday were not the only 2 that failed upon upgrade of OS. Same thing happened week before last as well.

But it was definitely installation of Win 7 that killed them, because I swapped in a Inno3D from the same order and the installation went off without a hitch.

To make sure, I put the XFX back into a machine with Win XP and it boots into log-in screen and then *black*. The monitor stay on but nothing shows on screen.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Um er refresh rate...hello ?
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
garp

Post by garp »

I have a XFX 7600GT that runs 24/7 365 days a year... Still going strong.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

If its a refresh rate problem, booting in safe mode will help. If the display actually works until the login screen, then I doubt the cards are dead, maybe a driver conflict or similar type issue
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

If it was the refresh rate then why does the inno3d card work just fine? The log in screen comes on at a really low resolution and then just goes black.
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So it works fine up until that point? Try something, for me, if you're willing :P

Pop a live CD in there, any linux live cd if you have one. Pop it in there, boot into the live desktop environment and see if the card handles it. Please :D
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So it works fine up until that point? Try something, for me, if you're willing :P

Pop a live CD in there, any linux live cd if you have one. Pop it in there, boot into the live desktop environment and see if the card handles it. Please :D
ok it boots to ubuntu 9.10. Now I am confused and even more frustrated. Because before it meant that the card was gone. Now it means that there is some sort of conflict between Win 7 drivers and this particular card. and there is NOTHING that I can do about it because it wont even go into safe mode. CRAP...

EDIT:

Scratch that, changed resolution and.... BLACK SCREEN!. yay... back to my original hypothesis...
Last edited by GreyWolf on 15 Feb 2010, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
- H. L. Mancken
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Email Microsoft or XFX?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

do the mobo's have built in graphics? If they do, pull the card out and install 7 again, then plug the cards back in.

Do the card's have more than one out put? Try using the other out put and see what happens.

And maybe flash the bios of the cards?

Edit: have you tried re seating the cards or swapping them between machines?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Monty wrote:do the mobo's have built in graphics? If they do, pull the card out and install 7 again, then plug the cards back in.
This might be worth a try, but after the Linix experience I am quite certain the cards are boned.
Monty wrote:Do the card's have more than one out put? Try using the other out put and see what happens.
the cards do indeed have mutliple outputs and none of them work.
Monty wrote:And maybe flash the bios of the cards?
This sounds very extreme, not sure if I feel safe doing it.
Monty wrote:Edit: have you tried re seating the cards or swapping them between machines?
yes, and like I said, the Inno3d card baught at the same time with the same chips work just fine.
- H. L. Mancken
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

if the cards are indeed boned, you have nothing to lose by flashing them to the newest bios
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So it works fine up until that point? Try something, for me, if you're willing :P

ok it boots to ubuntu 9.10. Now I am confused and even more frustrated. Because before it meant that the card was gone. Now it means that there is some sort of conflict between Win 7 drivers and this particular card. and there is NOTHING that I can do about it because it wont even go into safe mode. CRAP...

EDIT:

Scratch that, changed resolution and.... BLACK SCREEN!. yay... back to my original hypothesis...
No no. If it works fine at XxY screen resolution, but doesn't at another, that's FAR more likely a driver issue than a hardware issue IMO. I suggest you use a different graphics card, download the newest nVidia driver, install it, and then put the "busted" card back in. That should sort your problem out :) See, Win 7 installs it's own certified nvdia driver, but nVidia's probably released a few drivers since, so it's worth a shot. My newly installed Win7 Pro configuration is still running the Windows certified driver too... I should probably do something about that...

Come on GW, one last try before you give up on the cards :P
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

dae is right. Ms installs its own, cut down version of the nvidia drivers. So use one of the working cards to install the newest nvidia drivers, and swap one of the other cards in to the machine
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...XFX

cards are definately at fault.
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So send them back.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:So send them back.
Called supplier on Friday, new GT220 repalcements coming in tomorrow/wednesday, and I made damn sure they not XFXs....
Last edited by GreyWolf on 15 Feb 2010, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hhahaahhaah!!! Alright, as long as you're getting new stuff, all is good :D
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:So send them back.
Called supplier on Friday, new GT220 repalcements coming in tomorrow/wednesday, and I made damn sure they not XFXs....
Erm ... so what brand are you getting now?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Update in case anyone else has the problem:

did some googling and it seems that there is a problem with those cards (and maybe other 9500GTs) and Win 7 / Vista.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... fcc0586eb2

XFX released a bios update.

@Stuart: Club3D
- H. L. Mancken