1st South African Fleet / Official ST:O thread

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

1st South African Fleet / Official ST:O thread

Post by KillerByte »

1st South African Fleet
Fleet Structure

The fleet is structure like most modern navies and positions will be filled as required. Currently there is only one Fleet Admiral but if the fleet grows (and I am hoping it does) then I will appoint a fleet member to position of Fleet Admiral.

Admirals, Vice Admirals and Rear Admirals will be appointed as necessary. The fleet structure is there to provide order to chaos and keep the fleet playing together even in the vastness of the Star Trek universe (for those who aren’t aware the entire franchise is confined to the Milky Way Galaxy).

Here is the fleet structure in a hierarchy layout

•Fleet Admiral is in charge of the entire Fleet

•Admirals are in charge of their respective Task Forces and report to the Fleet Admiral. If an Admiral is present when his/her counterpart's fleet is present but his/her counterpart is not present then said Admiral can assume control over both Task Forces. If an Admiral wishes he may assign a Vice Admiral to command the other Task Force; however no Vice Admiral may be given command over a Task Force if he/she is not a member of said Task Force.

•Vice Admirals are in charge of Task Groups and report to their respective Admirals. As with Admirals if a Vice Admiral is the highest ranking officer in the presence of two Task Groups then he/she may choose to either take command of both Task Groups or assign the command of the other Task Group to a Rear Admiral of that Task Group.

•Rear Admirals control a Squadron of 3 vessels. This therefore means that Squadrons are comprised of 4 vessels. Rear Admirals will report to their Task Group’s Vice Admiral. Unlike higher ranking officers a Rear Admiral may not choose to command another Rear Admiral’s squadron. Instead said Rear Admiral is to assign command of the other squadron to one of the Captains of said Squadron. This is to be done to allow Captains to show leadership capabilities and work towards promotion.

•Captains are in charge of their own ships unless otherwise stated by a commanding officer. Captains are to follow the orders of any higher ranking officer.

Fleet structure will be determined by the ships chosen by players. Player will not be told what class of ship to take but there may be times when a Fleet Admiral, Admiral, Vice Admiral or Rear Admiral puts out a public request for a certain ship type. Before a public request can be made by an officer he/she must consult his/her superior for permission. This is to stop unnecessary request of unneeded ship types.

Engaging in Fleet Actions

For any and all fleet actions Rear Admirals in charge of a Squadron can choose whether or not to engage in the Fleet Action. If a Rear Admiral chooses to enter a Fleet Action his/her Squadron must obey the order and head straight to the sector in which the Fleet Action is taking place. If a Vice Admiral chooses to enter a Fleet Action then those Rear Admirals and their tasks forces under him/her must enter the Action. This applies to Admirals and the Fleet Admiral too. If however the ranking online officer chooses not to enter the Fleet Action then the choice falls to each of the lower ranks. If all superior officers choose not to enter an Action then each Captain may decide for himself.

If members of Squadrons enter a Fleet Action without the command of a superior officer but wish to engage in combat as an improvised Squadron then the Captains have two choices. The first is to decide on a popular leader. If the majority of the Captains favour a particular Captain then he/she is to be the leader of the Squadron. However if a leader cannot be agreed upon within a period of 60 seconds then the highest in-game ranking Captain is to assume command. In both these cases the Captain in charge gains the field commission of Commodore for the duration of the Fleet Action. If a Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral or the Fleet Admiral enter the Action after a Commodore has been elected/determined then those player will relinquish command for the duration of the Action. The command structure will revert back to normal once the Fleet Action has ended.
If there are reports of any officers failing to obey the orders of the Commodore then an enquiry will be conducted.

(Fleet actions occur throughout the galaxy against different enemies and for different reasons. Players are informed when a fleet action is occurring and in which sector it is occurring.)

Our continuing mission... to have fun

The above rules and structure might seem a bit serious but the structure is there for our members the have the support to have fun. Its always more fun to have guild/ fleet members with you when you are doing a raid. I will more than likely increase the squadrons to five ships for 5 man raids but since its still early times I won’t start worrying about it just yet. If anyone has any questions or comments/ideas please feel free to drop me an email or a pm.
Last edited by KillerByte on 04 Feb 2010, 10:28, edited 9 times in total.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
doo_much

Re: Offical Star Trek Online thread

Post by doo_much »

Have you played the Beta?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Not yet

I have my key but due to a lack of funds or cap I have not downloaded it yet.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I'd be interested to know how bandwidth hungry the game itself is.
I won't enjoy forking out $14.99 a month AND having to pay for oodles of bandwidth.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

more than likely it will be as hungry as WOW.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I still want to see how a game with ranged and futuristic weapon can do well against a melee and magic medievil setting. Take Kotor and it worked but I dont think people will want to stand still while being blasted. Although the Star Trek universe has alot of open potential because they never really have a world to fight in, just open space and space ships.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Star Trek is different in that you have two areas to fight.

You have the space battles which can have hundreds of ships all fighting (think of EVE and its massive PvP battles)

Your away missions will also have battles. Not sure on how these will be but think of diving behind boulders as a phaser blast whistles over your head.

I am very excited.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

why was my post deleted ?????????

this must end.

Are you sure you posted? There are no deleted posts in the moderator logs.

I asked a question that was answered by KB in his next post.
Last edited by Sojourn on 22 Jan 2010, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Complete MMORPG n00bs allowed? I might be interested in this, but never played any other MMORPG for more than ten minutes.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

What exactly was wrong with my previous post? What was wrong with it?
I said that I find the game's website ambiguous in their explanation of how gameplay will work. How is that off topic, offensive or against the rules in any way?

Stuart, if it is you deleting posts like that, which made no infringement, you are blatantly abusing your god-button.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I didn't delete anything. And according to the moderator logs no one deleted anything.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Don't you two want to take it to PM so that we can discuss the game in peace? Pretty please?

KB - any idea what the game itself will cost?

*Edit

Seek and ye will find. Pre-order @ kalahari.net - R371.66
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Wow that's a very good price.

Stuart you are more than welcome to join our fleet. I want a fleet that helps the new guys but still caters to the more experienced players.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KillerByte wrote:Stuart you are more than welcome to join our fleet. I want a fleet that helps the new guys but still caters to the more experienced players.
Sweet ... I shall do what is necessary a little later.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KillerByte wrote:Wow that's a very good price.

Stuart you are more than welcome to join our fleet. I want a fleet that helps the new guys but still caters to the more experienced players.

Experienced? cough cough

The game hasn't even been released yet?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:
KillerByte wrote:Wow that's a very good price.

Experienced? cough cough

The game hasn't even been released yet?
Experienced with MMORPGs, I believe. ;)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ahhh. OK.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Is the beta open for play? Where do one sign up for a key?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Beta is ONLY open for play until 26 Jan.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

experienced MMO players
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

STO is cheaper on steam! (Normal, not the delux edition).

I checked.

Waiting for finances to get better, then I'm in!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Do you have to have Steam to install the game?
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

I don't think so.

I'm sure if you buy the game from BT games or somewhere else, you may do a normal install.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Stuart wrote:Do you have to have Steam to install the game?
If you buy the game on Steam then yes, as far as I know the retail version doesn't make use of Steamworks. Though I stand to be corrected.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Xiphan wrote:
Stuart wrote:Do you have to have Steam to install the game?
If you buy the game on Steam then yes, as far as I know the retail version doesn't make use of Steamworks. Though I stand to be corrected.
I hope you're not corrected, because I don't want to install Steam just for this.