what are good makes of monitors

Any hardware related topics go here.
jphegers

what are good makes of monitors

Post by jphegers »

Hi i am looking for advice about what is a good and reliable LCD monitor.I do not know anything about monitors so any concrete advice will be truly appreciated.I am looking for a reasonably priced 23" or 24" monitor, what the pros and cons are and what to lookout for like full HD, response times and and anything els that i should know and like i said i do not know anything about monitors so any concrete advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sojourn

Re: what are good makes of monitors

Post by Sojourn »

Frankly, in today's market most recognisable brands are great quality and have warranties that extend to full replacement under certain conditions.

The brand is not the focal point. The focus should be for what you need the screen and what your own need is when it comes to refresh rates, contrast ratio's, resolution, available input and output ports and also energy consumption / environmentally friendliness.

Samsung and LG are the most prominent brands (my own opinion) when it comes to your requirements. Look at what they have on offer (google it, don't expect this forum to do all the work for you) and ask when you don't understand the properties. That will help in your choice.

One comment on HD products, it will be pointless if you get an HD capable (or better) screen, but don't have a GPU (or plan to get one later) that can take advantage of that.

Also, there is very recent threads in the hardware section that discusses monitors in-depth. Maybe use the search function and check those out?
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

SAMSUNG!!!

That is all ty ...
0.o
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
MadFrog

Post by MadFrog »

I have a samsung 2333... And it seems like that is a very popular screen. so, in other words, Samsung FTW!!!
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

YES I agree fully lol!!

Samsung has always been my favorite brand for a few items!
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

so in other words you guys all recommend Samsung's then, thanks for that
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with LG screens. It's pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. The Samsung ones typically look sexier though.

KALSTER is a BenQ fanboi, so ignore him.

(j/k)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Samsung for me. ViewSonic used to make great monitors, but I haven't checked out their range lately...
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

Stuart wrote:Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with LG screens. It's pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. The Samsung ones typically look sexier though.

(j/k)
someone told me yesterday that Benq and LG are made by the same people and their innards are the same only the outer casings differ is that true or not?
Ratwiz

Post by Ratwiz »

jphegers wrote:
Stuart wrote:Not necessarily. Nothing wrong with LG screens. It's pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. The Samsung ones typically look sexier though.

(j/k)
someone told me yesterday that Benq and LG are made by the same people and their innards are the same only the outer casings differ is that true or not?
A lot of monitors share the same TFT panels. As many others have said here, Samsung :mrgreen: . They're the sexiest and always rock!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Dude, look at a Samsung 2494HS. Full 1080p HD, 5ms response (you won't notice a difference between that and 2ms), 50000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 23.6" viewable, D-Sub DVI and HDMI inputs. You can get one of these from an online shop for +- R2000.
KALSTER is a BenQ fanboi
I am? Cheap can also be a virtue... :)
Last edited by KALSTER on 19 Jan 2010, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
jphegers

Post by jphegers »

Thanks Kalster will investigate that one
Prime

Post by Prime »

PHILIPS! not sure what the latest models are but we have been using their tv's and monitors for over 20 years. when we have had problems, or needed servicing it has always been painless to get it sorted.

We have 4 220ws screens. One died under warranty and was replaced within 2 days. And we also had excellent life from their crts.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Prime wrote:PHILIPS! not sure what the latest models are but we have been using their tv's and monitors for over 20 years.

Philips who? :?
Prime wrote:when we have had problems, or needed servicing it has always been painless to get it sorted.
Good for you! My Samsungs over 10 years+ never had to be fixed for any reason.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:
Prime wrote:when we have had problems, or needed servicing it has always been painless to get it sorted.
Good for you! My Samsungs over 10 years+ never had to be fixed for any reason.
I had to have a Samsung repaired after six months of use. Repaired under warranty within 24 hours.
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

I am not a great fan of any Samsung product. We have Philips, Acer, Dell monitors at home and they all work without any problems.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

c0d3r wrote:I am not a great fan of any Samsung product. We have Philips, Acer, Dell monitors at home and they all work without any problems.
Why not?

Dell make good monitors, Acer not so much, in my experience anyway. Samsung LCD's are consistently rated the best though...
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

actually there is a special on at the moment at incredible rip off ... or corruptions ... or what ever their name is!! Samsungs for R1500 I believe and I think they are 22"
hmullie

Post by hmullie »

Samsung support is rated high in my book. My monitor just died bought
The lcd in 2007 and still under warranty, had a issue
With the agents , but phoned samsung and got a
Refference number all resolved now. Warrantee of
3 years on all monitors. Samsung rocks.
Main pc | lg 2443t 23.6" monitor |
Raidmax gaming case | 500w power supply
| Msi g31 motherboard | Intel core2 duo e8400 @ 3ghz (stock speed)
| 4gb. Ddr2-800 ram | Asus gts250 1gb (gddr 3) |
Conner 250gb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd | Maxtor 640gb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd
| Samsung 1tb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd |

Samsung 24x cd/dvd writer | Canon ip4500 printer.
MadFrog

Post by MadFrog »

hmulie, seems like you would've bought a samsung processor, ram, case, PSU, printer, motherboard, GFX card and case if you could... You must love Samsung, LOL!!!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I love Samsung products as well. Have been using many of their products for around 12 years now and have only experienced excellent support and great products...
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

I haven't used Samsung monitors for that long, only a few years. But for the time that I've used them I've been completely satisfied! :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:
c0d3r wrote:I am not a great fan of any Samsung product. We have Philips, Acer, Dell monitors at home and they all work without any problems.
Why not?

Dell make good monitors, Acer not so much, in my experience anyway. Samsung LCD's are consistently rated the best though...
The best at what? I could rate myself the best but unless I qualify it, it means nothing. Or sounds stupid.

So as ludicrous example, Samsung are not the best tasting monitors. ;)
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

ryanrich wrote:
Why not?

I probably get the bad Samsung from the good batch every time because I've just had nonsense and trouble with literally any Samsung product, be it phones, CD / DVD drives, monitors etc. I refuse to buy Samsung products, because of the bad experiences I've had in the past.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I probably get the bad Samsung from the good batch every time because I've just had nonsense and trouble with literally any Samsung product, be it phones, CD / DVD drives, monitors etc. I refuse to buy Samsung products, because of the bad experiences I've had in the past.
Well there you go. Samsung makes great monitors, ok phones and poor optical drives (DVD players and drives, etc). You just got the bad monitor.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W