Getting to the root of piracy (Office 2007)?

Any software related topics go in here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Getting to the root of piracy (Office 2007)?

Post by Stuart »

So a friend just brought me her newly acquired laptop. I backed some stuff up from her desktop a week or two ago, and now she wants me to transfer it to her laptop. However, I have detected an issue ...

She called me while hunting at a second hand computer place for a used laptop. There was a particular latop she was interested in. She couldn't tell me specs, but the salesman told her that it came with Windows AND Office 2007. He told her that Office 2007 alone is R6k, and the machine was going for only R4.5k, so it was a good buy. I told her I'd like to see the specs first, but she went ahead and bought it ... Office 2007 being the big selling point.

Turns out it is a P4, 1GB RAM, Windows XP ... but it'll work for her needs. However ...

Office is certainly installed (and activated) on the machine. Not legally, however, because there is no license sticker included with the machine. I'll obviously tell her to take it back and demand either her money back or an Office 2007 license matching the installed version, but as a matter of interest, is there any way of me figuring out what they've done to install and activate Office? Are they just using a cracked copy, is it some sort of Enterprise version? How can I tell?

And, other than taking it back to the place and politely requesting a valid license, anything else I should do? Is it worth reporting them?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Getting to the root of piracy (Office 2007)?

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:I told her I'd like to see the specs first, but she went ahead and bought it ...
So why are you still trying to help this woman :?:
Stuart wrote:Turns out it is a P4, 1GB RAM, Windows XP ...
For 4.5K :?:
Stuart wrote:Are they just using a cracked copy, is it some sort of Enterprise version? How can I tell?
They probably (illegally) used a volume license key. No activation required.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:
Stuart wrote:I told her I'd like to see the specs first, but she went ahead and bought it ...
So why are you still trying to help this woman :?:
What can I say ... I'm a do-gooder.
jamin_za wrote:
Stuart wrote:Turns out it is a P4, 1GB RAM, Windows XP ...
For 4.5K :?:
Correct. :roll:
jamin_za wrote:
Stuart wrote:Are they just using a cracked copy, is it some sort of Enterprise version? How can I tell?
So is it worth reporting them? Or just threatening to do so till we get a license or (more likely) money back?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stuart wrote:
jamin_za wrote:
So is it worth reporting them? Or just threatening to do so till we get a license or (more likely) money back?
Yes - tell them you want a valid license. And if you get money back, tell her to wait on her next choice until you've checked out the specs first.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I just love uninformed consumers asking questions... especially those which then go ahead with their choice disregarding what you told them or even waiting for a reply. At this point I would bid her a nice "have fun", she would be on her own for all I care.

As for the license issue, report the business with the piracy board of SA, cannot recall their official name. Make sure you have the purchase slip and names etc.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Sounds like the sales rep tried to make the deal sound irresistible by installing a jip copy of Office 07
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Absolutely incredible, you can get completely refurbished Dell's for far less than that, all completely legal, come with the software disc. This lady buys a piece of crap for 4.5k and bleats about the 2007. This was a scam from the start.
I would report the outlet as well the lady for her epic fail.
She will never be able to update windows, a sad thing indeed. I had this with a computer I bought off this site, whether the seller knew this I do not really know or care. When trying to update Media, MS told me it was nor a registered copy, the key was invalid, Widows XP Pro that is. Anyway I upgraded at MS Cape Town and now all is fine. (It had a valid copy of XP Home on it)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

lancelot wrote:Absolutely incredible, you can get completely refurbished Dell's for far less than that, all completely legal, come with the software disc. This lady buys a piece of **** for 4.5k and bleats about the 2007. This was a scam from the start.
I would report the outlet as well the lady for her epic fail.
To be fair, she knows absolutely NOTHING about computers, so she's pretty easy to scam.

That being said, I did encourage her not to buy anything without running it by me first. Her loss though. I'm sure the machine will perform for what she needs (Excel and Outlook), but if they can't provide us with an Office license I am going to kick up a bit of a stink.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I would check all the licenses, I mean XP with 1Gb of ram?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

lancelot wrote:I would check all the licenses, I mean XP with 1Gb of ram?
Erm, it has an XP sticker on it. Better just check that the correct version is installed. Either way, I'm going to go see these people this afternoon on my way home.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Stuart, Is it a business? Would you mind sharing the name?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The name of the company? Dolphin SA or something like that. In Alberton.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Dolphin SA? Oh boy those people. Yup, would explain it. They do second hand computers and stuff. I thought they closed down about 3 years ago?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It's possible that they have closed down but that this news hasn't reached the Alberton branch yet.

They actually have quite a big store here. I've never bought anything from them, but I did wander in there a couple of years ago when I was looking at replacing a laptop myself.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I called Dolphin SA and told them the situation. At first they tried to explain that it doesn't need a license sticker because it comes with Office preinstalled. I essentially told them whilst they may have been able to talk around my friend like that, it wouldn't work with me. I told them I either want an Office license or a refund or we can talk to the BSA. They then put me through the the manager.

He claims that he explained to my friend that she needs to purchase her own license. At that point, I really couldn't go any further. I wasn't there at the time, so it's their word against hers. They said I can bring the machine back and they'll gladly remove Office, which of course is not what we want. I told them that Office was the big selling point, so that's not good enough.

Anyway, I told my friend what they said and she'll now call them. I shall report back when I've heard what they say.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stu, if you end up going to the store, go in like you know nothing and ask for a cheap machine with office and see what they say.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

^^ Good Idea!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Also you could use a proggi like rockxp to get the keys on the machine, and do a google search for those serials if they get a positive hit on a suspect site then do a print screen and show them the evidence. Chances are they are not that stupid but then again...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I say take it back, get the refund and buy something else. Drag her along by the hair if you have to. Even incredible corruption sells some laptops for R4000 and home office 2007 is like R700 isnt it? Almost the safer way to go.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Turns out it is a P4, 1GB RAM, Windows XP
This is just shameful enough even without the dodgy Office installation. I hope you find a way to nail these bastardo's to a wall! Install SP3 and see what Genuine Advantage says about office. If it moans, they don't have a leg to stand on and I'll bet they'll do a refund. :?:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I went with Jill this morning to Dolphin SA to see what they had to say. She did most of the talking; I just wanted to be sure that they weren't going to talk rubbish to her again. It seems like they worked very hard on their story over the weekend and, although I get the distinct impression that they were lying through their teeth, they produced a semi-credible story. They clearly understand the issue, and have told us that they will sort it out by this afternoon, either by providing her with an Office license or by refunding her if they cannot find a suitable license.

We left the notebook there in case they got the license, because they would then have to remove the existing version and reinstall the correct version of Office. Of course, after we left Jill said to me that she hopes they don't just remove it and claim it was never on there in the first place. This was a scenario that didn't occur to me while I was there, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. For now, let's see what happens.

The manager was most apologetic and assured us that "this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to us." Post a trance smiley if you believe him. :lol:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I hope he knows that his dishonest nonsense is being discussed on a popular computing forum. I am sure nobody that reads this will buy anything from them now.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I thought of mentioning it, but then I figured that no one who visits PCF is likely to buy anything from Dolphin SA anyway. :lol: If they don't immediately sort it out satisfactorily the story will appear on a few more sites too.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

While I'm a Pirate myself, I'm not eager to see people get scammed like this. If you want to view some of the keys of the software they installed (Office and Windows, and other Microsoft apps) you can download this application I wrote:

You'll also be able to see if it's an Enterprise edition of Office and what edition of XP.

No spyware, adware, malware or anything else. Comes with a readme too. And only 300kb or so. :mrgreen:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Bladerunner, nice one.
Can you say reggolyek backwards? :wink: