How about downloading 720 DVDs in a second?

Network problem solving and tweaks
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

How about downloading 720 DVDs in a second?

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.guru3d.com/news/how-about-do ... a-second-/
KDDI R&D Laboratories have collaborated with Japan’s National Institute of Information & Communications Technology (NICT), where their partnership resulted in the most advanced fiber optic cable in the world.

Just how advanced, you ask? Well, both parties are proud to announce that this new cable is able to move data at unprecedented speeds of up to 10 times faster compared to what existing cables can. In layman's terms, this means a whopping 30 terabits per second compared to 3 that we're "enjoying" currently. To make the scale even more unbelievable, that is the equivalent of 720 DVDs of two hours each transmitted to the other end within a second. KDDI hopes to commercialize this technology (how else are they going to recover the funds that were sunk into making this technology possible?), and hopes to connect all major Japanese cities with this new cable in the future, racking up a $210 million bill in the process.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: How about downloading 720 DVDs in a second?

Post by Monty »

Hmmm... Maybe we could borrow a strand or two, then telskum might only limit our speed to 2meg (4 if they're feeling generous)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Well, Durban University of Technology had a sneak peak the other day of the new Seacom speed... limited offcourse - got a rather tasty 4.7 gig file down in 3.5 seconds :| :mrgreen:
Temporary Absence
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Anthropoid wrote:Well, Durban University of Technology had a sneak peak the other day of the new Seacom speed... limited offcourse - got a rather tasty 4.7 gig file down in 3.5 seconds :| :mrgreen:
Where was the two end-points located ?
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

720 DVDs in a second ?

One PC is not capable of downloading that, its not even quick enough to copy 10X 4.8GB in a second :mrgreen:
even if it had a Raid 0 over 10 Drives.

But i get the point
jee

Post by jee »

Anthropoid wrote:Well, Durban University of Technology had a sneak peak the other day of the new Seacom speed... limited offcourse - got a rather tasty 4.7 gig file down in 3.5 seconds :| :mrgreen:

Anthro, how much of that do you think we will see? Affordable, that is..
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Sojourn wrote:
Where was the two end-points located ?
One was the landing point in Umtunzini (sp?)Then there wasa a 130 odd Km FIBRE cable running to DUT - they tested from within their tech centre
jee wrote:Anthro, how much of that do you think we will see? Affordable, that is..
We should see changes within at least four months from the competitors - maybe Telkom will follow suit
Temporary Absence
jee

Post by jee »

It lands in Mtunzini on the North Coast of KZN. I believe Neotel runs the landing station?

We are currently busy with the KZN broadband strategy - one that is targeting current broadband in the province, looking at a model and then doing a gap analysis to use for extended rollout to the province. Telcum is not playing the came... but some of the ISP's told me that it will be "some time" before we will see the benefit of the pipe, as they have to "recoup" their costs...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
capanno

Post by capanno »

With that speed, will I be able to download the internet?
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points