PCF August 2009

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

PCF August 2009

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Picked mine up last night. Awesome!! Linux gaming article.... twas all I bought the mag for :P

lets hear what the rest have to say?
:mrgreen:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: PCF August 2009

Post by Stuart »

Hasn't found its way to Alberton yet.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Just glanced through the mag last night. I found the new layout a little disconcerting, but I supposed it's just a case of getting used to it.

What's up with the Editor's Letter. Can't quite figure out if you ARE or are NOT going to do Mac features in the future?

Edit: Big thumbs up on the cover. Refreshing change.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hey Stu. We were was is wanting to like to be going to do Mac, but then the poll results came in and changing things on plot is immensely difficult.

Edit: Thanks for pointing out the redundancy and poor grammar. I hope this is better. :mrgreen:
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

Nab wrote:We were was going to do Mac...
askies??? i dont mean to be a prude, but what did you say here?
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Thoroughly enjoying the new mag, thought the article about the self-regulating internet was great Brett. The meme's section's getting a bit old. WRT to the games section, could you guys add in a section on the best of budget out at the moment and add in some reviews?
Then, just some minor niggles, the blue-ribbons in the hardware reviews sometimes don't match the component in question, for example, the ribbon in the article for the projector reads "All-in-one PCs"?

Otherwise, another job well-done. Also liked the cover this month.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Prime

Post by Prime »

Nab wrote:Hey Stu. We were was going to do Mac, but then the poll results came in and changing things on plot is immensely difficult.
you realise that the poll was compromised by a security flaw? :twisted:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Oh and, what was the deal with the graphics card review? No 4850 or 4870? :?
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Prime wrote:
Nab wrote:Hey Stu. We were was going to do Mac, but then the poll results came in and changing things on plot is immensely difficult.
you realise that the poll was compromised by a security flaw? :twisted:
Must be one serious security flaw as it generated quite a few *irate* emails
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Prime

Post by Prime »

The poll contains or contained no verification that a person had not already voted. :whistling:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

How many times did you vote? :shock:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Prime wrote:Oh and, what was the deal with the graphics card review? No 4850 or 4870? :?
UK content
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Prime

Post by Prime »

KillerByte wrote:
Prime wrote:Oh and, what was the deal with the graphics card review? No 4850 or 4870? :?
UK content
And were the prices converted from pounds? :? Because they don't make sense in rands.

http://www.digitalsaonline.co.za/catalo ... ts_id=5532 and its a 2 gig version?!. I have never ever seen a single 4870x2 go for over 6K, let alone 7.5 at any of the online stores I browse. :?

The same goes for the pricing of the pair of 295gtx's in Xfire @ 16K. later on in the mag, you have a review of the Zotac 295gtx with water cooling for 6K!?

I know you guys have to include a certain amount of UK content but I think the standard of that review was pathetic, it did not compare apples with apples.
Please also consider the the average SA reader does not realise this is a UK article and that price comparisons are alot less valid when the review is no longer in the country.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Prime wrote:
KillerByte wrote:
UK content
And were the prices converted from pounds? :? Because they don't make sense in rands.

http://www.digitalsaonline.co.za/catalo ... ts_id=5532 and its a 2 gig version?!. I have never ever seen a single 4870x2 go for over 6K, let alone 7.5 at any of the online stores I browse. :?

The same goes for the pricing of the pair of 295gtx's in Xfire @ 16K. later on in the mag, you have a review of the Zotac 295gtx with water cooling for 6K!?

I know you guys have to include a certain amount of UK content but I think the standard of that review was pathetic, it did not compare apples with apples.
Please also consider the the average SA reader does not realise this is a UK article and that price comparisons are alot less valid when the review is no longer in the country.
We never convert the price from Pounds to Rands. We always source local prices. In this case I went to three online stores, DigitalSAOnline, LandMarkPC and Sybaritic. When I changed the prices I consulted those websites. Please note that those prices were changed in June so currency fluctuations COULD (please note that this is not an attempt to pass the buck). For this super test I did not get any prices from suppliers or distributors, I only got prices from online retailers.
Prime

Post by Prime »

KillerByte, thanks.

I just wondered how some of those prices ended up so high :?

Do you guys actually adjust the review scores, assuming some component of the review score is based on value for money, if the local prices are significantly different from those in the UK?

and +rep for getting the pricing from the online retailers! :thumbright:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Prime wrote:KillerByte, thanks.

Do you guys actually adjust the review scores, assuming some component of the review score is based on value for money, if the local prices are significantly different from those in the UK?

It would be HIGHLY UNETHICAL of us to adjust scores of reviews that we did not write.

I shop at those e-tailers so their prices are the ones that I accept. I've done my research and found them to be the best so far.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It would also be hugely unethical for you to allow someone like jamin to be a member of your forum, but hey, look at that. ;)
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Stuart wrote:It would also be hugely unethical for you to allow someone like jamin to be a member of your forum, but hey, look at that. ;)
sacrifices must be made
Prime

Post by Prime »

KillerByte wrote:

It would be HIGHLY UNETHICAL of us to adjust scores of reviews that we did not write.

I shop at those e-tailers so their prices are the ones that I accept. I've done my research and found them to be the best so far.
Wait hang on, a certain aspect of your review's score is based on price/ VFM. but the review is done in the UK where prices/VFM could differ quite a bit.

So in actual fact, your review's score is meaningless or arbitrary!? :? :scratch:

You are basically telling people that they should not buy product X in south africa because in the UK, its more expensive than product Y. :?:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I must admit that enjoyed the articles (the list is long). The advice at the back was really interesting (I was compelled to read it all). Still loved the memes but I guess I knew those - still read them though. New look is different but like most things - it takes getting used to.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Well the badger meme has been going on this forum for a while. If you don't believe me, check out the link in my sig :whistling:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Been thinking about the new look - it is more professional and less relaxed. Was that what you were going for?

And yes - I know about badgerbadgerbadger :twisted:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Tribble wrote:Been thinking about the new look - it is more professional and less relaxed. Was that what you were going for?

And yes - I know about badgerbadgerbadger :twisted:
A change is as good as a holiday and we all need a holiday. lol
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

+1 on that
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Prime wrote:
KillerByte wrote:

Wait hang on, a certain aspect of your review's score is based on price/ VFM. but the review is done in the UK where prices/VFM could differ quite a bit.

So in actual fact, your review's score is meaningless or arbitrary!? :? :scratch:

You are basically telling people that they should not buy product X in south africa because in the UK, its more expensive than product Y. :?:
You forget that the prices still fluctuate together. If a GTX285 is more expensive than a 4870 in the UK then chances are that it will be the same way here. It might just be the margin that differs. The only time when you will see a drastic change is when there is an abundance of stock in the country and I don't see that happening with computer hardware.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932