Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Post by ryanrich »

Great article, might help some Windows users give Linux a chance...

Click click...
rustypup

Re: Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Post by rustypup »

nice read...

the not so great:

1) what in the name of honious' footwear is a "windows power user" - is this like a "mac power user" with frilly footwear?

2) there is no need to go through all of that hassle to give it a test drive... virtualbox is simple to install, really easy to use and, for a bonus, exposes the host's 3D capabilities to the guest OS... (i see they've already got windows 7 sorted)..

i would also warn anyone running ati to avoid 9.04 for now... the current fglrx revision is still gimped... not entirely, but not as stable as it should be... :/ (i mention this only because it might reflect badly on canonical when the issue has nothing to do with ubuntu....)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Post by ryanrich »

rustypup wrote:i would also warn anyone running ati to avoid 9.04 for now... the current fglrx revision is still gimped... not entirely, but not as stable as it should be... :/ (i mention this only because it might reflect badly on canonical when the issue has nothing to do with ubuntu....)
Yup, I absolutely hate ATI for this! I'm still running 9.04 for now using the opensource drivers and don't have any issues so far, but 3D performance isn't too great. I think by version 10 they should hopefully have those drivers properly sorted...