[W]Affordable MP3 Player

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Augur

[W]Affordable MP3 Player

Post by Augur »

Hello

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to portable media players :roll:
I've never been one to carry my music around with me but I would love to purchase a half decent media player as a birthday present. I've taken to reading a lot of online reviews and checking them against availability. This is unfortunately where the problem starts... I can't seem to find anything half decent at what I would expect to spend for a simple MP3 Player.
In my travels I have had the pleasure of using such devices as the iPod and the Creative Zen but they are what I would refer to as out of my price range.

Background: My girlfriend is permanently attached to her MP3 player but it is more than a couple of years old and held together with sticky tape! Her current model is a very old Acer MP3 player with 1GB (guess) of storage and besides being held together with the aforementioned tape, it has no discernible markings on it and the little screen is poked.

Required help: Please could somebody suggest a decent portable MP3 player for anything less than R500 and a retailer/e-tailer. (I'm looking at spending a little less than that but depending on value for money I might be able to afford up to R500)
Any help would be appreciated and if you're selling one second hand (decent condition) let me know :wink:
Jonboy

Re: [W]Affordable MP3 Player

Post by Jonboy »

Just go have a squizz at hifi corp. They have models that look like iPods, are generally about 4Gb and play MP4 and come in at around R300 to R500. Look for JNC.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Augur

Post by Augur »

Jonboy, So you would recommend JNC? I'll keep my eyes open and see what I can find.
Thanks for the advice, it's just unfortunate that it costs me almost R200 to get to the nearest HiFi Corp.
I can't wait for the new branch to open up just down the road, but I suspect that won't be soon enough to help me out :evil:
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

One thing about those iPod spoofs:

Keep the receipt, and all original packaging. (May seem a bit obvious, but hey...)

I had a Telefunken one, and was generally happy with it. Until, 1 month after buying it, it fizzled (literally). Plugged it into my PC to charge, and it never worked since.

So, in my advice, avoid Telefunken.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Augur

Post by Augur »

DarkStar, Thanks

This seems to be the problem with most of the affordable brands. I've not come across a single one that has consistently good reviews. I've looked at JNC, Canyon and Apacer, all of which seem pretty decent and at a reasonable price but when I find someone who has actually purchased one they'll advise against it.
Hmmm, I just want a simple device that plays mp3's with decent sound quality. Why should I have to spend close on R1000 for a Zune, Zen or iPod?

Beggers can't be choosers I guess but that won't stop me trying :mrgreen:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Iriver are also Good, and so are Sandisk, Sandisk are also memory upgradeable :)
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Iriver is very good, but also a bit expensive I fear.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Screeper wrote:Iriver is very good, but also a bit expensive I fear.
True, although i think it depends on age and model and size, My 128meg Iriver cost R800 from the US when that was still a decent sized player. :?
Augur

Post by Augur »

Right, I'm going to start surfing the interwebs and find a couple o' bargains online.
I'll report back and hope for opinions :mrgreen:

Please keep the advice rolling in...
Augur

Post by Augur »

Take a look at this:

Transcend

A little more than I would like to spend but it looks interesting. I've never used a Transcend MP3 player but I'm a big fan of their ram and flash memory.

Any opinions?
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I have a Transcend (albeit a 128mb screen-less one from a few years back).

I recieved an MP3 player for Christmas from my step-mother, but the quality was absolute carp.

Now, just for comparison purposes, the Transcend kicks the pants out of the new one.
good screen, and don't need a video player, or any real fancy features (like advanced equaliser), then go for the Transcend.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Augur

Post by Augur »

DarkStar, Thanks, right now the Transcend is at the top of my list :)

ps: Can't find a review for it :cry:
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I could get the details tomorrow of mine, 'cos it's at work. It's a MP4 / MP3 player 4GB with a micro-SD slot. What's awesome about it is it;s also a FM modulator. 8) It's runs for over 4 hours and I can keep it in my pocket so no need for the cigarette lighter. It's a wireless FM modulator. Actually that's all I use it for, not the MP3 / MP4 player. It cost me R499. There's a cheaper model that's R399 I think for a 2GB.
Augur

Post by Augur »

Synthesis, Sounds good :)

I'll check back with you tomorrow...
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Coincidentally came across this JNC for R799 at game on special. not too bad. Touch screen MP3 MP4 player.
http://www.game.co.za/portal/game2009/U ... -09-09.gif