The Ten post rule

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Prime

The Ten post rule

Post by Prime »

I have a suggestion for this sight, to implement a ten post rule where any user who joins must have their first ten posts screened by an admin before they make it onto the board. is this possible to do?

Thanks

Prime
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Lol, RevQ FTL?

Thing is, ten angel posts are really easy to pull off.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I second this notion. I know eg. system shock does it.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Or, we have a 'Report Post' feature added in.

I've seen it in other forums, where you click that button (and if enough members click it) a mod/admin will be informed about it.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

I this from the addiction thread?
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Guess it was the last straw, but I could be wrong. But it would really help stopping alot of idiocy.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

DarkStar wrote:Or, we have a 'Report Post' feature added in.

I've seen it in other forums, where you click that button (and if enough members click it) a mod/admin will be informed about it.
Coming in phpBB 3. :wink:

I think that sort of covers the original post in this thread too.
Last edited by Ron2K on 31 Jul 2008, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
capanno

Post by capanno »

Nuke wrote:system shock does it.
They failed miserably with me hint hint nudge nudge... :lol:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ron2K wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Or, we have a 'Report Post' feature added in.

Coming in phpBB 3. :wink:
And when is phpBB 3 coming? :D

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

D3PART3D wrote:And when is phpBB 3 coming? :D
When it's time. :wink:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ron2K wrote:When it's time. :wink:
What sort of answer is that? :? :P

(I had to put the "razz" in there, since you have banstick powers now. :P )

- Elon Musk
Prime

Post by Prime »

maxxis wrote:I this from the addiction thread?
yes it was :wink: but he was the nail in the coffin. there have been others :wink:

Ron, even if it was just for the fun sections, it would help. AFAIK stupidity seldom crops up in the tech threads and those posts usually need an answer in a hurry anyway.

Cap, the thing is, if the person doesn't know its there till he posts, then its more likely that he say something he wouldn't if he knew :wink:

doo_much

Post by doo_much »

why bother?
the idiot trolls normally either get the message and leave or mend their ways and become ... entertaining :D
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Apologies for the double-post, but I've just read maxxis's thread, and I can see why you guys requested this... :wink:

For people who are particularly annoying, another new feature that will be introduced is the "moderation queue". Depending on permissions set, users (or, in this case, lusers) will have to have their posts approved by a moderator before they become visible. A bit more work on our end if we decide to use this, but may be useful - particularly if the For Sale section gets out of hand again.
capanno

Post by capanno »

damn, i was trying to type a response about units of measuring time and the irrelevance of the answer, but my brain is misfiring like crazy. Tiredness with a fix of caffeine = serious brain lag for me. Its like I have gaps in my dictionary. ok last post for me here.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote:Apologies for the double-post, but I've just read maxxis's thread, and I can see why you guys requested this... :wink:

For people who are particularly annoying, another new feature that will be introduced is the "moderation queue". Depending on permissions set, users (or, in this case, lusers) will have to have their posts approved by a moderator before they become visible. A bit more work on our end if we decide to use this, but may be useful - particularly if the For Sale section gets out of hand again.
Awesome :twisted:

anyway thanks Ron :wink:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Ten post rule

Post by Stuart »

Prime wrote:I have a suggestion for this sight, to implement a ten post rule where any user who joins must have their first ten posts screened by an admin before they make it onto the board. is this possible to do?

Thanks

Prime
I would object to such steps being taken. If they were, then we'd miss the witty flames of rusty and jamin. This place wouldn't be the same without one of those guys flaming some freshly plucked n00bl3t.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

schase wrote:
<SNIP>

I would object to such steps being taken. If they were, then we'd miss the witty flames of rusty and jamin. This place wouldn't be the same without one of those guys flaming some freshly plucked n00bl3t.
Agreed.

But I do know that certain other forums prohibit one from creating any new threads when you have less than 10 posts.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

This is absolute nonsense and I will fight it with all my years of experience and influence; for goodness sake we are not dealing with children here and I do not believe that as an admin I do not have the power to stop idiotic posts without having permission from someone else. Grow up people and stop running to Ron every time you have a brainfart.
maxxis' thread was funny and tongue in cheek, life is far too short to peel grapes.
Lets just carry on as before and stop all hypocrisy.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

lancelot wrote:This is absolute nonsense and I will fight it with all my years of experience and influence; for goodness sake we are not dealing with children here and I do not believe that as an admin I do not have the power to stop idiotic posts without having permission from someone else. Grow up people and stop running to Ron every time you have a brainfart.
maxxis' thread was funny and tongue in cheek, life is far too short to peel grapes.
Lets just carry on as before and stop all hypocrisy.
+1 :D its called freedom of speech.... and there are rules in this forum hence why we have admins and mods.

im just waiting for rusty to see this thread..... :P :lol:

@ lancelot, lolz at brainfarts :lol:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

SykomantiS wrote:
schase wrote:
<SNIP>

Agreed.

But I do know that certain other forums prohibit one from creating any new threads when you have less than 10 posts.
Some forums also ban you outright without any warning or discussion being entered into, what other forums do is their business, what we do is our business.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Amen Lancelot!

We can deal with idiots on an ad-hoc basis.
These forums are not so big that this is a serious problem.
jee

Post by jee »

To be honest, if i have to read every 10 posts of a new poster i will never have time for fun - and enough guys are in contact with the mods/admins via im or cells to alert us if there is something really serious happening that needs immediate attention.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jee wrote:To be honest, if i have to read every 10 posts of a new poster i will never have time for fun
But you're not much fun anyway. :twisted:

j/k jee ... REALLY! We all love you!
jee

Post by jee »

schase wrote:
jee wrote:To be honest, if i have to read every 10 posts of a new poster i will never have time for fun
But you're not much fun anyway. :twisted:
hmm i did not say being fun... i said having fun :twisted:
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.