PCF August Disc discussion and rant area!

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

PCF August Disc discussion and rant area!

Post by Nab »

Since there are threads blossoming all over the place about the cover disc I thought it best to channel it here so I can get the right people to see your comments.

So far these are the issues that have been highlighted:

Ubuntu x64 will only be on 139
No local servers for WarRock
No 'real' content

amirite? If there is more plz add to the list but also try to keep the poop slinging to a minimum.

Thanks!
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Critics/Rants:
1) Maybe a bit more variation from the previous months disk, not the exact same software, maybe not even the same type of software
2) Sorry, but NEVER repeat old demos
3) The game galeries suck
4) lol, the plastic cover for non-subscribers too :wink:
5) I hate Sam & Max.
6) Shareware games is, well only shareware. Want FULL games! :lol: :wink:

Compliments:
1) The crysis community map pack was awesome!
2) Love the retarded skippy videos :lol:
3) The Disk GUI is still very good

Suggestions:
1) More mods for more games
2) More up-to-date patches for the latest and most popular games
3) Hardcore OCing and tweaking tools WITH guides. Like GFX Bios modding software like Nibitor and some guides for it.
4) Again, plz No more Sam & Max. They are mentally, physically and spiritually retarded. :wink:
5) Cool wallpapers, not just cover models, but other cool wallpapers like game designs and custom graphics.
6) Free software that might actually be useful, like something that really speeds up your boot times (If I may recommend BootVis), etc.
7) Compatible Patches. (The NFS PS v1.1 patch was incompatible with SA games, because it was the Europe release. We need the US one :wink: )
8) This one might be difficult, but a more up-to-date disk. Like if a new patch comes out say early September, the October disk should have it.

Well, I hope this helps you guys... :wink: :)
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

+1 on the no Sam & Max
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Sam & Max = Entire disc fail IMHO.

Game videos and trailers would be AWESOME!

A utility to make my Geforce Frikkin Xtreme 5200 uber1337 would be nice.

Agree with TMD, Tuning utilities WITH guides would rock.
to ápeiro anima
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I was just about to lock this thread until I saw that noob Nab had started it.

I enjoy most of the disk, including the plastic cover, thank you. I agree with much of the above, in particular the wall papers, I too would enjoy some gaming ones, board layouts, that type of thing. Otherwise a good effort.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

/ot

Lance, do you game? I mean as in single player type games, nothing web based and not older than say, 2 years.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming, except for oom Lance :D
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

I think TheModDoctor hit the nail on the head, those are my exact thoughts.

+ 1 for game video previews. ie Far Cry 2 etc.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4050Ghz
Asus Striker II Formula
4GB Transcend AxeRam DDR2 1066+ @ 1200mhz
2 x XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog SLI
AeroCool Horsepower 1020W PSU
Seagate 320GB SATA 16Mb
CoolMaster Stacker 830 nVidia Edition
Swifttech H20 Apexi Ultra+ on CPU/SLI
Samsung 22"
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Sojourn wrote:/ot

Lance, do you game? I mean as in single player type games, nothing web based and not older than say, 2 years.
Most of my games are in bed, however I have been known to play the odd game like Police Quest by Sierra and some others, Larry and so on. :D

I do play some FPS games, Mafia, Farcry, Crysis, Hitman and so on. I can only just play Crysis, rig getting a bit old now, just like me!
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Again, just the regurgitated 50 hot shareware apps which aren't really that hot. I thought I'd get Firefox 3 from that bunch and found, to my dismay, version two was still included!

My favourite discs used to include Cam's collection, please bring those back (obviously as somebody else's collection)

Lose the game galleries IMHO

A much broader patch selection, including games getting older now

Would enjoy some toolkits, like music, hard-drive, web security i.e. more focussed freeware sections,

+1 for more wallpapers, not necessarily babes (maybe games, etc)

I would love a section of top ten free mp3s (maybe up and coming SA bands, deejays), top ten youtube vids of the month, top ten email attachments of the month (funny flash apps etc)

Updates of older software supplied (i.e. GOM player)

I will continue to buy PCF because I am a long-time fan, would just enjoy a better coverdisc,

Don't mind the cardboard cover (remember those old plastic ones with that glue *shudder*)

Howsabout picking one forum member every month to give his top 10 which can include favourite apps with descriptions.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

TheModDoctor The only problem with having an up to date disc is that we start working on an issue 2 months before it hits the shelves, and the disc is finalized a month or so before we hit shelves.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Jonboy wrote: Howsabout picking one forum member every month to give his top 10 which can include favourite apps with descriptions.
+1

thats a gem of an idea :D
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Ike

Post by Ike »

I would comment but I can't find a copy of pcf in potgietersrus or pietersburg :P
halo

Post by halo »

I understand that the disk gets finalized a month before the magazine hits the shelf, but I've always found the lack of game trailers and videos rather worrying... It would save some people (like me ) from downloading them. even if they are only current as of a month ago, its still something.

I think some funnies hidden in the disks would be awesome. when i would the mouse video the other month, i got super happy thinking that you guys would start introducing things like that again... unfortunately, it seems to have been a one off thing.

Patches are always nice (maybe rerun FEAR combat so that every one can get it again so we can final have a good old jam :) )... But patches for newer games... even if you start repeating patches through months, along as you have the latest and greatest patches of popular games it should make life so much happier.