Windows vista on laptop freezing

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
CesarePlay

Windows vista on laptop freezing

Post by CesarePlay »

I need some advice. Yesterday my laptop started freezing up and stopped working properly. This occured after service pack 1 for windows vista was installed. At first I could only get into windows using safe mode .

I then because of the freezing tried to uninstall the service pack 1 to see if that will stop the constant freezing and non responsiveness of the laptop. However this is a major problem now.

The laptop froze on stage 3 of the uninstall and has remained like that for over 3 hours. I spoke to one shop and they say it is the hard drive and another shop said the windows had major problems with it. What can I do besides taking it in?
simmy

Post by simmy »

Run 'chkdsk /r' maybe?
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I did and it still did not solve the problem. I am worried what might happen if I turn it off now. :?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Did you try the Vista recovery console, failing that, System restore?

If none work, I say open up your laptop, get the HDD out and slave it to another pc. Copy your data and re-install windows.

I'd suggest trying the Microsoft forums, its possible some one has a solution to the problem without having to go the whole 9 yards and re-install your OS.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

ADV4NCED wrote:Did you try the Vista recovery console, failing that, System restore?

If none work, I say open up your laptop, get the HDD out and slave it to another pc. Copy your data and re-install windows.

I'd suggest trying the Microsoft forums, its possible some one has a solution to the problem without having to go the whole 9 yards and re-install your OS.
Ok thanks. I will try that.