external hardrive issues

Any hardware related topics go here.
psYChowIt

external hardrive issues

Post by psYChowIt »

Hi, I recently bought a 750 gig external hard drive and it's worked fine until now. However it is giving me an issue which is generally just a pain in the @$$.
I have about 500 gigs or so of free space on it but when I select, let say, folder X that is 6gigs and copy it to the drive it says destination drive full and then it gives me the disk cleanup wizard...

Help?
Ike

Post by Ike »

did you run scandisk on it?
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

scandisk?

Edit: Busy googling it
Ike

Post by Ike »

ahem, go into your "my computer" right click on the drive letter -> properties - on the tab's go to tools -> error checking -> click check now.

This is for xp... btw
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

drive formatted as fat32 or NTFS?

FAT32 will handle transfers below 4GB... anything more and you're probably going to get griped at...

external as in USB? many of the pre-packaged drives have a file transfer limit of around 700MB in a single op... they don't make this very clear, but the reasoning behind this is supposedly heat build-up. i feel it is more likely related to el-cheapo PCB units which cannot cache anything beyond this....
[size=0]but, but, but[/size]
Last edited by rustypup on 08 Jul 2008, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Hmmm, that makes sense but how am I gonna get a 6gig image onto it? Or am I just royally screwed? Thanx Rusty, yup it's a usb hdd
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

psYChowIt wrote:how am I gonna get a 6gig image onto it?
if you're feeling cavalier, tear the bay open and plug the drive into your mobo and initiate the transfer without the USB bottleneck, (be sure to check the interface... if it's IDE, your problem remains if all you have is sata...)

if not... you'd probably have to figure out how to break the image into 640MB parts and reassemble them on the drive once the transfers have gone through...

option 1 would be my bet, but you can toss any warranty out the window....
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

If the drive is indeed FAT32, it can be converted to NTFS without any loss of data.

You need to open up a command prompt and type the following command in (assuming that your external HDD is drive Z:):

Code: Select all

convert z: /fs:ntfs
Keep in mind that the conversion is one-way; the only way to go back to FAT32 from NTFS is to reformat the drive.

See this Microsoft knowledge base article for more info.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

thanks ron2k... I'll give it a shot... any reason why anybody would then prefer FAT32 compared to NTFS?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

psYChowIt wrote:any reason why anybody would then prefer FAT32 compared to NTFS?
Operating system cross-compatibility. Just about every operating system can read FAT32. With NTFS, it's a different story - the Linux guys generally have to compile NTFS support into their kernel (not a very pleasant process, particularly if something goes wrong), and I think that the Mac guys are screwed no matter what.
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Ok but if I'm only going to use my hard drive with xp and vista systems it'll be fine?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

correct...

NTFS is far superior to FAT32 with respect to cluster usage, index speed, fragmentation management, etc, etc.

this will still not resolve your issue if the USB interface on the external housing throttles the drive usage...

i have a number of external drives, most of which are the genuine macgee slapped into an external housing - no limits on transfer size or time...

2 of them, however, are the pre-packed type and both come to crashing halts at <700MB... (disk full, delayed write op failed, etc, etc, etc..) which led to the discovery that these manufacturers acknowledge the poor ambient heat dispersal problems in their units by throttling the transfers....
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

ive ran into this problem before aswell, its annoying, formatting fully fixed it for me....im actually thinking it could be a spyware issue...have you done scans for spyware?
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

yup scanned my entire pc and then just the drive... nothing came up... Final question: you guys are 100% sure that converting (reformatting) from FAT32 to NTFS won't cause any loss of data? :oops: Soz I'm a real n00b
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

psYChowIt wrote:yup scanned my entire pc and then just the drive... nothing came up... Final question: you guys are 100% sure that converting (reformatting) from FAT32 to NTFS won't cause any loss of data? :oops: Soz I'm a real n00b
Start -> Run -> CMD -> type what Ron2K said.

(EDIT: If you do it this way, you won't lose data)
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

if converting from FAT to NTFS, there will definately be no data loss at all
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hi guys. a quick question. sowi 4 highjack.

I have a external 2.5" HDD. and i bought a casing 4 it and now use it as portable. now i have a problem where after i copy files onto it. (can copy any size.) but when i try to copy off the HDD then after a certain size then it might stop coping and the drive reads continuously. then it pops up a message bout cyclic redundence error or sumthing. is there anyway to fix this?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Bladerunner wrote: Start -> Run -> CMD -> type what Ron2K said.
Say what?
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

DeathStrike wrote:hi guys. a quick question. sowi 4 highjack.

I have a external 2.5" HDD. and i bought a casing 4 it and now use it as portable. now i have a problem where after i copy files onto it. (can copy any size.) but when i try to copy off the HDD then after a certain size then it might stop coping and the drive reads continuously. then it pops up a message bout cyclic redundence error or sumthing. is there anyway to fix this?
I think this means your drive is gonna crap. Backup a.s.a.p.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

psYChowIt wrote:
Say what?
1. CLICK Start-Menu

2. CLICK Run

3. TYPE cmd

4. HIT Enter

When the black window with text pops up:

5. TYPE convert z: /fs:ntfs

(Assuming z: is the drive you wish to convert. In reality could probably be d: or e: )
Last edited by Bladerunner on 08 Jul 2008, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Bladerunner wrote:

I think this means your drive is gonna crap. Backup a.s.a.p.
I don't think this, I know this.

The last HDD that did this to me failed a few days later. I had bought a replacement, but not before I had backed everything up. I was able to recover most of what was on that drive though before it totally died.

Just out of curiosity, how old is the HDD in question?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

um. well my dad got it at his work. they guy said it was brand new..... only had it 4 a few months. problem is it didn't cum in box. now do we got reciept for it. on the plus side we got it 4 free :lol:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Bladerunner wrote:
psYChowIt wrote:
Say what?
1. CLICK Start-Menu

2. CLICK Run

3. TYPE cmd

4. HIT Enter

(Assuming z: is the drive you wish to convert. In reality could probably be d: or e: )
Soz and thanks :oops:
EDIT: It then asks me to enter the current volume label for drive E (my drive is E: btw)
fourtyseven

Post by fourtyseven »

I think that backups should be foremost on your mind right now; I'd get all those precious files onto another storage medium asap.
It doesnt really matter how old an hdd is; the rule of thumb i believe is that hdd's WILL crash at some point - its just a question of when.

Out of interest, once you've backed up your files, format the entire drive and see if you can replicate your current problems. Although I wouldnt trust your hdd, it would be an interesting excersise!

Good luck!
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

psYChowIt wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:
psYChowIt wrote:
Say what?
1. CLICK Start-Menu

2. CLICK Run

3. TYPE cmd

4. HIT Enter

Soz and thanks :oops:
EDIT: It then asks me to enter the current volume label for drive E (my drive is E: btw)
That's just a name. You can leave it empty, and it'll show as "Local Disk (E: )" in Explorer. Or you can give it a name. If you type MUSIC, it'll be shown as "MUSIC (E: )" in Explorer. :)