Lindows loses early MS Battle

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Lindows loses early MS Battle

Post by Tel »

Lindows Loses Early MS Battle in Netherlands
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
February 1, 2004

An Amsterdam court granted Microsoft a preliminary injunction against Lindows.com that forbids the Linux vendor or its resellers from selling Lindows in the Netherlands.

A Netherlands judge last week granted Microsoft Corp. a preliminary injunction against desktop Linux vendor Lindows.com Inc. and its resellers. The decision by the Amsterdam District Court "orders Lindows.com within eight days of service of this judgment to cease and desist from the infringement of … the WINDOWS trademark … by using the signs "Lindows", "Lindows.com" and/or "LindowsOS."

The court then specified that Lindows could not be sold; Lindows.com's resellers would have eight days to return Lindows software they had on hand to Lindows.com and to remove Lindows from any machines they might have installed on it.

Michael Robertson, CEO of San Diego-based Lindows.com, told eWEEK.com: "We're translating the full judgment now, but the essence of the judgment is that it bars us from selling LindowsOS in the Netherlands. We will appeal."

In a separate, prepared statement, Robertson said, "It's clear that Microsoft is using their army of hundreds of attorneys and billions of dollars as a battering ram to destroy any company that promotes desktop Linux. They were unsuccessful in the U.S. with this tactic, so now they're resorting to picking countries where they will find a sympathetic court.

"Today, U.S. customers can purchase computers pre-installed with desktop Linux and are saving millions of dollars when compared with expensive, virus-prone software from Microsoft," Robertson's statement continued. "This ruling may delay the day when Dutch customers receive those same savings, but I can assure you that we will continue to battle to bring the benefit of choice to the Netherlands."

In the meantime, Lindows.com said it will abide by the terms of the ruling. Lindows.com also accuses Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft of opening multiple fronts in Europe in an attempt to drain the resources of competitors. The software giant has threatened resellers and brought legal action against Lindows.com in several countries of the European Union, including France, Sweden and Finland.

Microsoft spokeswoman Stacy Drake told eWEEK.com, "We are pleased with the court's order. We feel this decision underscores the importance of trademarks and brands." She added, "Our concern is only about the Lindows name, not Linux per se. We only want Lindows to change its name. Many Linux distributions use different names, and Lindows can compete under a non-infringing name."

"Microsoft is pursuing Lindows because of jurisdiction issues," Drake said. "One of the fundamental rules of trademark law is that if you don't act to protect a trademark, you lose it."

In the United States, where Microsoft was unable to obtain an injunction, Microsoft takes Lindows.com to trial on March 1 in a Seattle court. Win or lose, Drake said, "The outcome of the U.S. decision doesn't necessarily impact other countries."

Reference

Microsoft!!! :evil:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Alls fair in love and war....

Like it or not Lindows is definitely a play on the copyrighted name Windows, and MS are within their rights to file for an injunction. If a major new clothing company calling themselves Bugo Hoss came out, and Hugo Boss sued them, we wouldnt have a problem.

Just because its MS tho, lets all get worked up.

NOTE: This is my honest opinion here, I'm not looking to argue or start a flame war. Anyway, I thought it was commonly agreed that Lindows is ****.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

I Agree with jamin,

If someone started making a Bercedes Menz or a Horsche, what would the reaction be? :D
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

And if some idiot started makin WMB i'd be well pissed off!!
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

:)

Lindows was initially reviled by many Linux users, but it's got it's place in the Linux scene and it's getting suprisingly good reception from a lot of people, even hardcore Linux hackers.

As for the court case, sure, the name Lindows is really skirting the copyright issue and we all know they chose that name to purposely cash in on the Windows name.

Copyright is a dodgy issue. I mean, lets face it, the word Windows isn't a copyright unless used in a Operating System environment.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

bb_matt wrote:Windows isn't a copyright unless used in a Operating System environment.
That would be true for any company except MS.
I'm sure If Jeep decided to name one of their models the 'Windows Explorer' they would hear a few words from Uncle Bill