pc reboots

Post your scores or get advice on how to better them.
Praeses

pc reboots

Post by Praeses »

Everytime im online, my pc reboots 4 no reason at all or the connection freezes.(usually reboots) :cry:

Im running WinXP pro, Kazaalite(for anime needs :roll: ), and tried different firewalls, i did a clean windows install 2 weeks ago, using Norton Systemworks 2003(updated), using all of the latest drivers 4: Duxbury 128K TA, Networkcard, Chipset drivers(i875), video drivers...everything except my BIOS because im too afraid to do it...but im gona update it soon.hope i dont mess up! 8O

Any solutions? Could it b the videocard which runs at 50C+ the whole time?Or the CPU running at 50C :?:

Ps: Weird thing happened 2day...when the other PC on the network was turned on, the PC hung when the popup came up saying 'connected at 100Mbps' Does this mean it might be the onboard networkcard? I use ICS alot. :?
Last edited by Praeses on 01 Feb 2004, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
brabham

Post by brabham »

I think you got one of two possible problems. Either your temps are screwing you or your PSU is failing. I would get a second opinion though.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Does your PC hang during gaming? Or only when you connect to the internet?
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
brabham

Re: Pc Reboots

Post by brabham »

Praeses wrote:Everytime im online, my pc reboots 4 no reason at all or the connection freezes.(usually reboots) :cry:
I think that means when he is online. Personally I reckon PSU.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

The reason why I wanted to know if it hangs during gaming, is that it will use alot more power then while on the internet. If it runs games fine then I don't think it's the PSU.

Have you tried pluging your ISDN adapter into a diffrent PCI slot. I had a similar problem with a 56K modem. Changed slots and it work fine.
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
brabham

Post by brabham »

Dont you think it would depend on what card he has? The old cards didn't take that much power as the new ones do.

Praeses

bleh

Post by Praeses »

Nr 1 its an external TA
Nr 2 it only happens when im online.
Nr 3 in games it should take alot more power cos its a FX 5900ultra...uses alot of power. But maybe it is the PSU? although it is only 8 months old (Aopen 300W)

Nr 4 PLZ HELP!! lol. its bad 4 infinitcall!
Praeses

one curious thinger

Post by Praeses »

I used to use Zonealarm as my firewall...now i use Blackice...this is the first weekend ive use blackice, but it seems that it reboots alot less now. it only rebooted once...maybe it was juz bad luck? Could it b that zonealarm caused all of my problems? ill keep u guyz updated if it continues to reboot or not.
TheHulk

Post by TheHulk »

Sure you don't have a virus like those Worm Blasters that causes the XP service RPC(Remote Procedure Call) to restart your pc when on the net.
Run FixWorm and FixWelch(get from Microsoft) to remove virus or change RPC settings to not restart pc.
Just a reminder!
Praeses

yeah

Post by Praeses »

im quite sure i dont have a virus. when i install windows, i immediatly install norton and the wormfix. thx 4 the help anywayz.. :lol:
Praeses

umm

Post by Praeses »

how can i move this topic to the networking forum? i see that i accidently put it in the benchmarking forum... :oops:
Praeses

NC

Post by Praeses »

maybe it is my networkcard...sumtimes when i plug in my networkcable the pc juz freeze juz like when the other pc boots up with the lan cable plugged in... any solutions??
brabham

Post by brabham »

How about not plugging the network cable in while the PC is on?

Praeses

argh

Post by Praeses »

its still reboots :cry:
i dont know what to do anymore :!: :evil:
this cant go on
TheHulk

Post by TheHulk »

I feel with you buddy, can drive a person mad!

If you're running XP then go to XP Services and change all the settings in the "Recovery" tab where it says "Restart the Computer" to "Take no Action". Hope this will help.

Have you tried to repair your OS, or re-install from fresh?

In mean time I'll try to think of other fixes.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

disable your network card and see what happens.
I had a problem with onboard lan, disabled it in the bios, got a card from my frend and tested the PC and wholla.It worked, I then just bought myself a gigabit lan card and gave my friends card back.

Now my PC is happy

Iceblade
Praeses

ahh

Post by Praeses »

u know...this might work...cos it is an onboard LAN adapter...i never trusted onboard stuff!! i'll disable it and see what happens. but why does it only happen when im online? thx 4 the advice :lol:
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

Things that restarts XP on the net,

Everyone knows about the blaster wrm but that's with a RPC message, you said you loaded the patch and hopefully your virus defs are up to date.

You modem is faulty

You network card is doing WWF with your modem

And a couple of settings like IDDLE disconnect, power settings, and and and and

But dissable your network card fist and see what happens

Iceblade
Praeses

um

Post by Praeses »

I have ISDN so its a terminal adaptor...dont think that they can really go wrong. virus definitions are alwayz up to date. dono what WWF is. Idle disconnect is disabled and so is harddrive powerdown ETC.

ill get a LAn card from sumbody and check it out
Praeses

lan

Post by Praeses »

i disabled the onboard lan and popped in an other network card...still reboots :cry:

can it have anything to do with the cable?? its a peer to peer cable...as in the cable doesnt go through a HUB but directly from the one pc to an other.
Praeses

Post by Praeses »

TheHulk wrote:
If you're running XP then go to XP Services and change all the settings in the "Recovery" tab where it says "Restart the Computer" to "Take no Action". Hope this will help.

Have you tried to repair your OS, or re-install from fresh?
where do i get XP services?

i formatted my hard drive because of the rebooting. still does the same.
Praeses

um

Post by Praeses »

Is it possible for a faulty USB Terminal Adaptor to cause this trouble? its really starting to depress me :cry:
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Iceblade »

go to:
control panel, then proformance and maintenance, then administrative tools and there you'll find services

Iceblade
Glitchfreak

Rebooting?

Post by Glitchfreak »

Hey bud.

Before your pc reboots, boes it give you a blue screen of death. If so, what is the reason XP gives for the restart?

Freak
MotoGuzzi

Blue Screen

Post by MotoGuzzi »

To which driver file does the blue screen refers ? & if you trace this file which component does it serves on your PC......The ISDN TA ?

If your PC[+TA] was switched off for a day, and you power up and log to internet, does it also reboot shortly after logging on ?

>When rebooted, open your ISDN TA and feel the heat of the main chip in it.....If it's very hot, you may cool it to see if your problem disappear.

Heat is the main enemy of components.