Graphics issue with 8600GTS

Any hardware related topics go here.
brabham

Graphics issue with 8600GTS

Post by brabham »

hey Guys/Gals

I'm not sure if any of you would be able to help with this but I basically need some kind of confirmation. I have an issue with my graphics card that I noticed for the first time last night when trying to play CS:S. For the record the card I have is a Gigabyte 8600GTS 256mb and it has never been overclocked.

As you can see the graphics seem majorly fuxed. The machine runs perfect until I try to run any game. I've tried it in FIFA07, BF2 and CS:S. I ran dxdiag and it seems the issue crops up with the Direct3D component.

Now I have tried reloading the drivers. Using the latest forceware WHQL 169.21 drivers from nVidia. Note I had been using them succesfully for probably two or three weeks already.

I did a driver rollback which didnt help.

I even tried doing a system restore but that didnt help either.

I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the video and nForce 4 drivers.

I even tried reseating the card.

I left my machine off and unplugged overnight.

I even tried different monitors and a different VGA cable.

To be honest I'm not sure what would even would have caused it. The only two things that come to mind is:

1: I installed nTune yesterday to monitor the temps because I was trying to help another guy diagnose the issue with his card (the same card as mine). But that ran fine and I even played games with it installed and had no problems.I did however, for the sake of certainty, remove/uninstall the nTune application to no avail. My card was getting up to around 65 degrees in game and I had never had trouble with it before. I've had the card now since 14 June 2007.

2: I'd been messing around with the s-video cable and using my tv as a 2nd display. It worked fine the night before last but then last night I couldn't make it work for love nor money. It was after this futile attempt to make the dual displays work that the problem first occurred last night.

I should add that I had been running a dual display setup for the past 4 months now with a LCD and CRT monitor. One connected via DVI and the other via DVI-2-DSUB converter. I had never had any trouble before last night. Switching the dual display setup to use the LCD + TV worked fine first round. I then switched back to the dual display using the LCD + CRT.

To confirm, after trying to switch back to the LCD + TV dual display setup, the problem first occurred.

I am now at my wits end and have basically conceded that the card or pretty much done for and am hoping that the retailer will still replace it under warranty. Would anyone be able to confirm if this would be the case?

Thanks for taking the time to read through the post completely.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Your card is producing artifacts as you probably already know..

It's fuxxed like you said

Its also possible you accidently bumped a mem chip on the card when you were checking your friends card which would cause similar artifacts.

Basically, the card is under warranty so return it, they have to replace it if there is no evidence of the card being damaged by you :wink:

Edit: Oh and Brabham, why on earth are you playing Fifa??? PES 2008 is out and its crazy!!! :P :P
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
brabham

Post by brabham »

Firstly, Its not possible to bump memory chips on this card since everything but everything is covered by a huge heat sink (there are no fans on it).

Secondly, I was only giving online advice and at no stage did I remove the card prior to the 'artefacts' presenting themselves. The reason I installed the ntune application was in order to gauge temps and compare mine with his. They were both similar. At no stage did I even attempt to overclock the card (I'm not rich enough to waste money on blown gfx cards).

Lastly, I hear FIFA08 >>> PES 08. ;)

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
brabham

Post by brabham »

anyone else with any suggestions?

Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

brabham wrote:Firstly, Its not possible to bump memory chips on this card since everything but everything is covered by a huge heat sink (there are no fans on it).

Secondly, I was only giving online advice and at no stage did I remove the card prior to the 'artefacts' presenting themselves. The reason I installed the ntune application was in order to gauge temps and compare mine with his. They were both similar. At no stage did I even attempt to overclock the card (I'm not rich enough to waste money on blown gfx cards).

Lastly, I hear FIFA08 >>> PES 08. ;)
correction my 8600GT XXX does have a fan on it!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
jPm

Post by jPm »

LOL@ That ScreenShot

And Fifa 2008 Comes no where close to PES2008, Unless you a Noob is Soccer games and only want to score Goals.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I agree with ADV4NCED.

This seems like a classic damaged VGA RAM case to me to.

Time for a new card mate.
brabham

Post by brabham »

sigh. I was dreading that. to cap it all off my bios chip died today as well. 2007 started off k4k and its ending worse. goodbye and good riddance I say. !*#(^& piece of &%(! year. :evil:

brabham

Post by brabham »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:correction my 8600GT XXX does have a fan on it!
That dear boy is why you should stop drinking...[/b]

brabham

Post by brabham »

jPm wrote:LOL@ That ScreenShot

And Fifa 2008 Comes no where close to PES2008, Unless you a Noob is Soccer games and only want to score Goals.
I am a noob in "soccer" games. Frankly without the goals it would simply bore me to death. Perhaps you have some constructive advice to the topic at hand?

Oh and, its not nice to laugh at other people's misfortune.

ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Dude if you want realism, action, tons of entertainment, goals and football in one game, look nowhere else other than PES.

...its really that good :wink:
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
ACE2003

Post by ACE2003 »

That's the RAM on the Card alright. Had the same prob with my Historic S3 card. Luckily the card had memory slots so I just replaced the faulty chips with some spare chips I got of another S3 my friend gave me.It worked fine after that.
brabham

Post by brabham »

sigh I remember those old cards. life was so much simpler back then... :P

I'm gonna try and get the card swapped out tomorrow at rectum...I..I...mean rectron. :P

brabham

Post by brabham »

ADV4NCED wrote:Dude if you want realism, action, tons of entertainment, goals and football in one game, look nowhere else other than PES.

...its really that good :wink:
Maybe I should download it.

The demo I mean ;)

brabham

Post by brabham »

For the record guys, I had my card swapped out by rectron today. no hassles. was tested an replaced within 30mins. Best service I could have expected. I am stoked.

According to the techie it was indeed the vga ram that was faulty.

Thanks for all the replies. Mods please lock this thread.

DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Nice stuff man, Rectron are pretty good when it comes to testing stuff and replacing if need be, my ADSL modem screwed out, swopped it out straight away.