PC International -- are they any good?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
GatsbyDyt

PC International -- are they any good?

Post by GatsbyDyt »

Hey all

I saw a few references to PC International on these forums, i wondered over there and saw that their prices are really good (and yes i did calculate vat onto the prices). Now seeing as im considering buying a brand new gaming rig in the near future i was wondering if anybody could give me sum feedback on them.

I would also like to know how you place an order with them, i assume its over the phone. And my last 2 queries are how long is their delivery time (I live basically in cape town) and also what sort of bundles do they give with their products (e.g games with graphics cards).

Sorry if this is in the wrong area but as u can see,im new. :D
douglash

Post by douglash »

Hi there Gatsby - welcome to the forums... i hope you enjoy and as long as you behave, the Gatsby tradition shouldn't continue... :wink:

anyhow - from what i hear PC International is very good and there service is excellent, however i cannot comment on the bundles with the hardware..

i do know you get a small discount if you pay cash... the shipping will be about the same as most other companies, so there's no diff there...
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

DAMN that reply was quick. And dont worry im not one of thise fools who join forums to start stupid fights. Im well aware of how pissed people get when you do.

I saw for the graphics cards they were selling the XFX brand. . .unless that suffix means sumthing else. So should i just chek the net for the XFX bundles or will the bundles differ from country to country?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The bundled software with the cards will probably be the same from country to country, though I stand to be corrected. I'm sure if you search some of the local online stores though it will tell you what comes with the cards.

Just another option to consider: For a full gaming rig, check out www.digitalsaonline.co.za. The owner is a PCF forumite (Thinice) and his gaming rigs comprise seriously decent hardware. His service is fantastic. Of course, you can also buy components from him (or PC Int) and build your own rig.
douglash

Post by douglash »

bundles will differ from country to country...

best you phone them and ask them.. the only real way to be sure...
oukie

Post by oukie »

Well, i bought a gfx card from them last week. Went to pick it up self. No discount for cash though... And no bundled software.... And they told me no delivery if your order is less than R2000.

Also card is working perfectly, no probs.
Total Forum Points: 14000
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

i plan on building it myself, i get a strange satisfaction from building my own pc, strange i know. Anyhow it looks like its a all round thumbs up for PC Int which is good to know. They said they could ship my stuff to me for R200 which isnt to bad now i just face one big prob. I hear new graphics cards are to hit the shelf around Xmas so should i buy before the year end or be patient and wait till Jan.
Thats the one downside to PC purchases u always seem to kick urself after a buy because 2 days later sumthing better comes out and prices drop.*sigh*
Gargmel

Post by Gargmel »

I got my Mobo, Cpu, Ram from them, did everything by e-mail, service was great.
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

i was just thinking if no bundles are included isnt the product usually generic and thus not really performing at its max? i could be completely wrong of course. . .sumone care to correct me

Gargmel how did you pay them?Electronic transfer?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

All Graphics Cards are reference cards in any case (Since quite a few cards back). Thus, unless they come factory overclocked (like XFX XXX Edition), they all perform the same, except for the coolers that are slapped on. Whether it comes bundled with games says nothing of the performance...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
oukie

Post by oukie »

I meant... no software except drivers and such :oops:

Apologies if I gave incorrect info. Only got driver disc with the hardware.
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

nah i know what u meant oukie.I was just always under the impression bundled games usually come with higher performance cards,and if you look above you will see that apparently i was wrong. oh well live and learn.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Also, dont install the drivers that are bundled with the card...

head on over to www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com (Not sure on ATI link, as they are now owned by AMD) and download the drivers from there. Else grab a PCF or NAG disk and take the newest drivers from there. Has a huge speed boost if you run newer drivers usually...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
oukie

Post by oukie »

Ok :D

I think PCINT excludes the bundles that's why they have such good prices, but that's just my opinion. And yeah, those drivers are massively old, used the latest drivers on first install.
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

thats probably true,i can live with that if it means i pay less.I cant wait till i order my rig.btw does anybody know anything about when the 9800 series will be released?
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

Leela: An idea?

I LOVE THIS :-)
Gargmel

Post by Gargmel »

GatsbyDyt, I did a bank transfer yeah, and they delivered the next morning before 8 already.
State

Post by State »

Best prices Ive seen in my life!

But I wonder are they retail goods? I DONT WANT TO BUY A CPU WITH A HEATSINK THAT DOES NOT HAVE A THERMAL PAD, lol first time builder...
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

Phone them and ask xactly what they retail for. . .they told me they sell direct to the public and that they will ship to me here just outside cape town :lol:

Mind you I have started working at a comp store and I can get the stuff at cost plus 5%. . . yay :D
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

State wrote:Best prices Ive seen in my life!

But I wonder are they retail goods? I DONT WANT TO BUY A CPU WITH A HEATSINK THAT DOES NOT HAVE A THERMAL PAD, lol first time builder...
:lol:

Just make sure that it isnt OEM or something, make sure that its a boxed CPU, they always come with everything
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

g0ldback wrote:

Just make sure that it isnt OEM or something, make sure that its a boxed CPU, they always come with everything
Im pretty sure it is a boxed unit. If not people wouldnt rate them so highly. I read in another thread Cameron also bought from them and he was happy. So if he says they are good I doubt we should argue.

WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

GatsbyDyt wrote:
g0ldback wrote:

Im pretty sure it is a boxed unit. If not people wouldnt rate them so highly. I read in another thread Cameron also bought from them and he was happy. So if he says they are good I doubt we should argue.
Too true GatsbyDyt. I know that Sybaritic sell OEM type CPU's, that dont come with fans etc

I must go check out PC Int sometime
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Bought my system from PCInt... don't go for their already assembled PC's and you'l be OK... They still owe me a R20 mouse though (never arrived with the courier :) )
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

I must go check out PC Int sometime
Im gonna try and give them a call tomorrow and then i'll post exactly whats what. I'll try and cover things like the exact price people pay, shipping and how long delivery takes. Should settle some curiosity. . .Im still amazed at their prices even after adding vat.

Im thinking the prices after vat have to be very close to what you actually pay otherwise why list the prices online. . .

GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

thEnaileDonE wrote:Bought my system from PCInt... don't go for their already assembled PC's and you'l be OK... They still owe me a R20 mouse though (never arrived with the courier :) )
LOL :D dude what were you planning on doing with a R20 mouse.

Since you bought from them how much above the listed price after adding vat did you pay (if you dont mind me asking)?

thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

About the mouse... thats why I didn't bother to push them to hard to send it :)

I took a pre-configured system and tweaked it slightly so I can't really say how much more or less I payed than was showing on their site but I am sure I didn't pay more (well... I hope not :) )

But I will deal with them again... my problem was that I got a sucky mobo with my system (but then again the system was cheap and you get what you pay for ;) )
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!