HELP - HP dv6145eu Notebook - Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
PFS

HELP - HP dv6145eu Notebook - Ubuntu 7.10

Post by PFS »

Hi Guys

I really hope someone can help me out. I have formatted my laptop and trying to install Ubuntu 7.10. Brings up the selection screen, and i say start ubuntu or install (first option). Goes through it's loading of stuff. The "checklist" so to say with the [OK] on the right. Then to a blank black screen that has now been up for about 20min.
Frozen? Or is there something going on that i don't know about?

Thanx in advance

PFS*
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Try doing the install in vga mode.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

When the CD boots, the first option is to install Ubuntu, it boots into the Live CD, which takes a while. Once in the Live CD, click the install icon on the desktop and away you go

If that doesnt work, as Hman said install in VGA mode. I think its the F6 option or something
PFS

Post by PFS »

hmmm... takes long. how long is "long" ?? and i've tried it in VGA and in 800 x 600. Takes ages on the black screen. hour maybe? is that possible?

Will it work if i reinstall windows, do onto the CD and I saw that the disc has a install for windows function. What would be the best? I am very new to linux installations. Have used linux a couple of time, but already installed. Sorry for the Noob questions, but i really want to move to linux systems.

PFS*
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
Hman

Post by Hman »

If it takes longer than 30 minutes to get past the blank screen there is some conflict or anohter

PFS

Post by PFS »

k, thanx. will keep that in mind. just wish things were easy sometimes. everything always has some or other mission to it. O, well. The world of IT, gotta love it. Thanx for the help Hman & Silv3rback.

PFS*
simmy

Post by simmy »

Give up!

:P
PFS

Post by PFS »

simmy wrote:Give up!

:P
he he... i tend to not do that, ever. except when my girlfriend left me for her (female) friend. Luckily know when i'm fighting a losing battle.

I will get Ubuntu to work. somehow. need to.

PFS*
PFS

Post by PFS »

o crumbs! tried it on one of the DELL D620s here at work, and it works no problem. Going to throw my laptop off the roof. Should sort out the frustration.

PFS*
simmy

Post by simmy »

Deng! you turn 'em les'... you FTL. Unless you can get them both on a tipsy ladies nite.

:lol:

how big is the hard drive? maybe try a dual boot first? Boot options?
i've had problems in the past installing SuSe and it gave that same hanging blank screen but it took after a couple of times :oops:

Give up! It's Friday! :P
Hman

Post by Hman »

Hmm... I've had problems with installing Ubuntu on a Mecer laptop a while ago, also hanged with a blank screen, Suse 10.1 installed though...

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I know Ubuntu 7.10 has install issues on some HP laptops, mainly from the Pavilion range. Do a search for your specific model or ask on ubuntuforums.org.
PFS

Post by PFS »

snap. and mine is the Pavilion range. i know this is a turbo noob question but what is the difference between SuSe and Ubuntu? or is it like Windows 95 & 98. Just body changes and small tweeks??
simmy

Post by simmy »

NOOOOOOOB! :P

use g00gle.c0m now! :wink:

I call this here n00b mine! Ima slave him Paw! Please Paw cans I slave him! :twisted:

SuSe and Ubuntu, etc... are distributions of Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
PFS

Post by PFS »

i know that they are different distro's, just wanted to get a general feel so to say of what is better rated. But by the looks of it my laptop doesn't want to know Ubuntu's trouble. so on to Suse i go. :). Yeah, i always wanted to be a slave.

Do you give me chains and stuff, or do i make them myself then lock myself up?? :wink:
Hman

Post by Hman »

I like Suse more anyway, used to come bundled with more programs than Ubuntu, but it looks like Ubuntu has just as much now.

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

PFS wrote:i know that they are different distro's, just wanted to get a general feel so to say of what is better rated. But by the looks of it my laptop doesn't want to know Ubuntu's trouble. so on to Suse i go. :). Yeah, i always wanted to be a slave.

Do you give me chains and stuff, or do i make them myself then lock myself up?? :wink:
I read a couple reviews lately comparing Ubuntu 7.10 and openSUSE 10.3 and most favour Ubuntu. I have both and I agree. Ubuntu is now also officially the most popular desktop distro.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

SuSe = rpm based
Ubuntu = debian based

I think its safe to say thats about the main difference.

With regard to your problem........I had the same issue with one my systems.....a BIOS updated sorted it out. MSI actually released a "Linux-compatibility" update.......nice ;-)
PFS

Post by PFS »

thanx loads. have it running on my server at home. laptop still giving me jingles. but hey, that's life. Thanx for the help. If i someday get it to work on my HP i'll let you know how.

PFS*