quick question

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
RobThePyro

quick question

Post by RobThePyro »

Is a slow, medium or fast drill speed FTW for drilling about 8mm holes in 3mm plexi?

Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

ask me... slow and steady... and dont push down... Let the weight of the drill do the pushing.
douglash

Post by douglash »

Rob - slow and if possible, use a blunt drill bit as it doesn't catch, which cracks the plexi...

trust me on this, i used to manufacture signage using 2mm and other plexi..
darkranger wrote:Let the weight of the drill do the pushing
agreed..
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Don't EVER drill fast in plexi, no matter the drill bit size. This is my personal opinion which i have formed from working with plexi constantly for almost 2 years now.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Don't EVER drill fast in plexi, no matter the drill bit size. This is my personal opinion which i have formed from working with plexi constantly for almost 2 years now.
And that is where I learnt the bit I know about plexi.
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Slow and easy does it... Read that everywhere on the net. + you know... Dae
douglash

Post by douglash »

Dae - have you tried using a blunt drill bit before? it works really well, obviously you can't go faster, but the chances of you cracking the plexi are so much less...

just a thought, maybe next time the MOD-master has to drill through plexi.. 8)
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

lol ok thanks guys, oh and like, can you smooth the insides of the holes to look nice!? im gonna make a radgrill....

Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

douglash wrote:Dae - have you tried using a blunt drill bit before? it works really well, obviously you can't go faster, but the chances of you cracking the plexi are so much less...
I also prefer blunt drill bits ;)

I HATE buying new drill bits because i first have to make them blunt on my bench grinder before i can use them.

Sharp drill bits are from the devil, i'm telling you. Sharp Drill Bits + Plexi = sad case modder :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
douglash

Post by douglash »

dajeavoo wrote:Sharp drill bits are from the devil, i'm telling you. Sharp Drill Bits + Plexi = sad case modder
ROFL - so true... :lol: :lol:
PFS

Post by PFS »

One the quick question. When you cut slots in say a drive cage made of plex. What's the best way to sand the inside to get it smooth? Have thought of folding the paper and running with it, but el' problemo, not straight line.

PFS*
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
douglash

Post by douglash »

how thick are the slots? if you can, fold a sheet of sandpaper around a ruler or thin plastic object that can fit in the slot and sand, slowly...
PFS

Post by PFS »

4mm. thanx - didn't mean to hijack your thread Rob~.

PFS*
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
douglash

Post by douglash »

hmmm, 4mm, not much to work with, but like i say, take a thin object with sandpaper folded around and sand slowly...

time is your greatest tool, use it... 8)
haja

Post by haja »

get a small needle file,, it will fit in nicely. Hell, spring for a small diamond needle file and you can use it on anything them :)

Rob, for 8mm holes, I would buy a Step drill, they really are the best thing when drilling into plastic and alum. They make 100% round holes, and they work incredibly well when you need to make a hole bigger from say 5-10mm,
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
douglash wrote:Dae - have you tried using a blunt drill bit before? it works really well, obviously you can't go faster, but the chances of you cracking the plexi are so much less...
I HATE buying new drill bits because i first have to make them blunt on my bench grinder before i can use them.
Just drill into a solid wall, problem solved
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

@Wikid - LOL I thought the same thing! :twisted: