Plex Case creation

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
PFS

Plex Case creation

Post by PFS »

Hi Peeps

Fairly new to this forum. but that's not the point.
I'm starting a Mod that i'll be logging here (and at SS most prob). I need a touch of advise. I've bought the plex (4mm thick) and the dimensions of the case are : 2 side panels 700mm x 500mm, bottom and top panel 200mm x 700mm and the front and back panel 200mm x 500mm.

How you you guys suggest putting it together? i'm trying to get a way to keep it all clear with white (going to make it interchangable) face plates and trim. Thus not the alu frame path. I got some funky glue type of stuff for the place that did my plex (smells like the glue you get with model aeroplanes), stong, but not convinced that it's going to do the job.

Then another "brain-burp" - if it interlink the edges like a puzzle, using the glue to secure it in place. If anyone has any ideas, please let rip. Have been modding for awhile, but nothing from scratch.

PFS*

(Sketchup model.)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

If you could get some perspex squares, you fasten one side to one panel with a screw and the adjacent side to another panel.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Hman wrote:If you could get some perspex squares, you fasten one side to one panel with a screw and the adjacent side to another panel.
That would be the easiest but probly not the cheapest...

i would go for it though!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Hman

Post by Hman »

Like so Image

PFS

Post by PFS »

aaaa... cubes. i had bought these corner triangle thingys, but they each need 4 screws (top and side) to fasten. Any that's just not on. trying to use minimal screws on the outter, but the squares idea is a great one!! Thanx loads.

I will up pics of how the place i get plex from cut tge stuff... Absolutely... horrible - nOObs! Cut is a couple of times with a carpet cutter and snapped then to side. If i knew they were going to do that i would have done it myself.

PFS*
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

PFS wrote:I will up pics of how the place i get plex from cut tge stuff... Absolutely... horrible - nOObs! Cut is a couple of times with a carpet cutter and snapped then to side. If i knew they were going to do that i would have done it myself.

PFS*
Dude you best bet is getting them pre cut to the sides and front top bottom etc.

Perspex must be at least 10mm.
PFS

Post by PFS »

@DoOb - that's the prob, i already have the plex, so some serious sanding time required. Probably going to end up having to take the edges abit in with my dremel. o well.
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

PFS

Post by PFS »

thanx man, having headaches with the damn thing.
DoOb - i seem to have broken my sig again. help please.
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
Hman

Post by Hman »

[img]url[/img]

PFS

Post by PFS »

@Hman - i did that... doesn't wanna work. Anyway. Anyone know where i can get plex cubes? I know of maizey, but doubt heavily that they with courier it to me.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

They will courier it to you. Just ask them to cut some squares for you. Then you need to get some Acetone for use as glue. You will break the perspex off before you break the acetone off. Maizeys sell it too.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

also, you need squares anyway, i mean... how do you plan to mount the top of the case to the sides? and the bottom to the sides unless u use 3/4 screw squares
DJBK

Post by DJBK »

Where u stay?
Coz in Durbz theres Durban Plastics...

So u gonna build a case from scratch? 8O
Good luck there, I'm too impatient to do that :P

And one thing about those cubes is how do you take the side panel off?
Sounds like you gonna be busy for a while ... have fun :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Welcome to the forum.

I've been working with Plexi for ages and i can tell you the you can chuck your 4mm panels. 4mm is WAY too thin. My case has 8mm panels, and that's the thinnest you can go.

Seriously, 4mm is way too thin.

Also, it may not seem that hard, but building a strong and stable plexi case is no easy task. I would rather suggest you buy one. Something like a C3 would be perfect.
DoOb wrote:Perspex must be at least 10mm.
Not necessary.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

excuase myu noob paint drawing...

i hope you can see whats going on, with the two interlocking panels from each side(i only did 2 -axis but obviously there would be a "floor" and a "roof") i would do the cube idea aswell but glue it instead of screws so it looks cleaner.

for the side where the hardware goes in im not sure, the case should be rigid without that side on, so perhapse just some piano hinge and some magnetic clips to keep it closed.
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
PFS

Post by PFS »

thanx for the ideas and suggestions. really helping getting this thing going. I know it's not the easiest thing i'm trying to make here, but do have most of the skills needed down pat.

The interlink is the idea that had crossed my mind. Just as said, the side panel might be a pain in die bottom. Have got a buddy that can hook me up with some seriously cool/nice plex hinges. Just a bit shakey bout there load carrying.

Have already started on the magnet "locking" system. Magnet catches the door, and a button electro "zaps" the magnet loose to open.

Started sanding the one panel last nite, what a mess the guys made cutting!!

PFS*
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Are you still using the 4mm thick plexi?
PFS

Post by PFS »

nope, going to order 8 mm as u said. can use the 4mm for other stuuf then, like the mobo plate and airflow chambers.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Good :)

3mm will be best for other stuff, but 4mm will be fine :)

Let me just reiterate, building a plexi case is not easy, not easy at all.
PFS

Post by PFS »

well, with alot of people that can give different perspectives. I will start logging the case as soon as i have enough stuff happening to be able to update on the reg.

PFS*