WANT TO BE A GAME REVIEWER?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

WANT TO BE A GAME REVIEWER?

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Do you have a passion for PC gaming and a monster rig capable of running anything from Oblivion to F.E.A.R at butter-smooth frame rates? Then put that baby to good use! PCFormat is looking for game reviewers to help us hack, slash and click through our incoming PC game titles. What’s in it for you? Free games, of course. And the prestige of being a PCFormat contributor! We did mention the free games, right?

Interested? Send a 600-word trial review on the latest PC game you’ve finished. We’re looking for good writers who know their gaming and have a talent for getting their thoughts across. (Tip: have a peek at how it’s done in the mag and send it in the same format.)

Send your submissions to pcf@intelligence.co.za.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Is an awesome PC really a must? The reason I ask is because I am pretty interested in contributing but my PC is not that great and I only plan to do a full upgrade later this year, around June.

Could I still submit a review nevertheless, so that you may be able to consider my writing skills and maybe give me some feedback?

I would really appreciate that!

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Yeah, submit it anyways but just say that you cant do much until June.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Oh YES!! I was waiting for this day to come :D Yeah! Whoohoo!!
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Cut off date?
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Yeah, me to! Finally, all those years of varsity English and gaming might actually come together!

Good luck with you review W1K!

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ouch... This is not a good sign.
If a mag cannot afford their own writers and have to turn to their community for game-reviews, the end is nigh. 8O
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Gatsby wrote:Good luck with you review W1K!
Awesome. Same to you dude.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

think ahead guys... the requirements should be extended to include adsl, to cover the dearth of MMORPGs, and vista-ready hardware, as most games moving forward will be dx10 :wink:

unless this is a move to cover the sinkhole about to be generated as the uk switches rapidly to vista/dx10 while us down south continue to linger in xp-coventry :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Sojourn wrote:ouch... This is not a good sign.
If a mag cannot afford their own writers and have to turn to their community for game-reviews, the end is nigh. 8O
I was just thinking the exact same thing! 8O
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

This is very exciting :D

I have a high end PC and love playing games, so this was definitely something i considered.... until i thought "I'll do the review later, i'm too lazy to do it now". That was what showed me that i'll probably be a useless reviewer because i'll be too lazy to do the reviews.

:(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

He he.

That'd be awesome to check you dudes writing reviews for the games!

Free games, fame and fortune and hot sexy ladies await you...

Naiiiiice
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Wish I had a 'Monster Rig'. hehe

gl hf. :D
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

hot sexy ladies...... dont have the monster rig, dont play games .... can i do spell checks for those doing the reviews!! :D
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I have a question. Will that person do the reviewing as a part time job from home or will they have to go PCF itself?
syntheticdarkness

Post by syntheticdarkness »

I know this may be a weird question but what exactly counts as a monster rig?
The reason i ask is cause a will be getting a new pc in 1 week and was wondering what counts.
My new pc details are as follows.
MB= Asus p5n32-e sli
CPU= Intel e6600 @ 2.4 4 mb L2
G/C= Chaintech GeForce 7300gt 256 mb PciX
Ram= Kingston ddr2 800 1gb.
naughty

Post by naughty »

thats a nice rig - but it wont count as a monster rig until you have a high-end graphics card like an 8800gtx or something higher like the new upcoming R600 from ati

the cpu is also adequate for high-end but will also only count as a monster if you manage to overclock it to above 3.4ghz

though to be honest i think that most gaming rigs would qualify you to be able to write a review if you know how to
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Opty 170
X1900XTX

combo a high end rig? Hell yes it is :twisted:

Right? Right...?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

W1K wrote:I have a question. Will that person do the reviewing as a part time job from home or will they have to go PCF itself?
I'm almost certain it'd be a freelancey kind of thing where you could probably even email your review to PCF headquarters.

Hell, they could even post the game to you! :D

Although I'm certain I'm right, I've been known to be wrong as well.
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

Mikdog wrote:
W1K wrote:I have a question. Will that person do the reviewing as a part time job from home or will they have to go PCF itself?
I'm almost certain it'd be a freelancey kind of thing where you could probably even email your review to PCF headquarters.

Hell, they could even post the game to you! :D

Although I'm certain I'm right, I've been known to be wrong as well.
was thinking the same thing

something like:
they send you the game, you clock the game, you write the review and send it to them
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:This is very exciting :D

I have a high end PC and love playing games, so this was definitely something i considered.... until i thought "I'll do the review later, i'm too lazy to do it now". That was what showed me that i'll probably be a useless reviewer because i'll be too lazy to do the reviews.

lol--I think I might feel much like that at times! Although the greater problem might be that the only games I can play without cheats or trainers are sports games. I could review Cricket 07 for you! (But then I might come across as highly negative.)
eraser

Post by eraser »

schase wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:This is very exciting :D

lol--I think I might feel much like that at times! Although the greater problem might be that the only games I can play without cheats or trainers are sports games. I could review Cricket 07 for you! (But then I might come across as highly negative.)
Haxxor!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :lol:
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

LOL!

PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

Is there any where we can find out more detail about this. Will this be like an actual JOB and will the person get paid for it. If yes in what bracket are we talking. Cuz money is really important. I might have a kind sick passion for games and like to blab about it but if I am going to do this I would want to do it full steem and give all my focus on it. It sounds really great and I think it is a good idea to actaully ask the gaming community to give their opinions.

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
Screeper

Re: WANT TO BE A GAME REVIEWER?

Post by Screeper »

Cameron_Losco wrote:What’s in it for you? Free games, of course. And the prestige of being a PCFormat contributor! We did mention the free games, right?
Unfortunately doesn't say anything about earning money PhReaK_K
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.