Which one is the best?
1 - Telskum
2 - Mweb
3 - WorldOnline
4 - Any Other

In terms of speed & reliabilty!!
brabham

Post by brabham »

I got Telskum and its ok. Its prety stable most times. I got the 64k connection so if you're gonna get 128k then you'd better get info from someone else. Though I cant see it being much different.

I have heard good things about Mweb and ABSA for ISDN access so you might look there too. Though Mweb are more expensive I hear ABSA's rates are quite good.

Hope this helps...
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Hi feverdj

Ok let's assume you're going to use the line for downloading and general surfing right?

Then It doesn't really matter what isp you use cause all of them will give you atleast 7kb/s download average (believe me i know. I've been through 4 different isps within the past 4 weeks.)

Ok now let's assume some or other time you are going to take up gaming or playing games online? So then Get Ataris Isp. I play games online and this has to be one of the best Isp's so far i've used and at a great price.

Visit their website at www.ataris.co.za and click on the isdn/dial up links.

Pricing is all there.

For 56k/64k Isdn = R85 bucks a month is really not bad.
For 128K Access R185 bucks.

A General Rule of thumb ALWAYS DIAL A JHB ISP IF YOU HAVE INFINITY CALL (R7 OPTION).

These Servers are Usually better and faster for general surfing/downloading aswell as being great for gaming (since all the game's servers are up there).

Don't go for mweb. They're service is crappy they're overpriced and there general isp speeds aren't that great.

ABSA STINKS. Believe me this is worst possible Isp you can choose. The line drops with them if it's idle and they have connection problems.

Telkom is ok'ish but rather get ataris. Believe me I had a simliar question to yours and mine was solved with ataris.

If you don't like ataris get UUNET or Imaginet then, both those are excelent isp's too.

Then for interests sake go to http://www.ispmap.org.za/topmap.html to see all the available isp's. Remember that most of the isp's out there are "virtual isp's" which means they are on either

1. Saix Backbone
2. UUnet Backbone
3. Internet Solutions Backbone.

So all the others are virtual isp's running from these 3's backbone.

Hope this helps. Gimme a shout if you need anything else
feverdj

Post by feverdj »

:roll:
Thanks guys!!
CookieMonster - Will be running 128kb when Telkom cums 2 to installs it.... Will most probably be using there dial-up too!
What if any problems can i expect from ISDN connection eg. timeouts, dropped calls etc...
What can i do to fix it!
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Heya

Sorry for only replying now.

Ok if you are running 128k access you do realise that is dual dial up aswell meaning R14 per call?

Ok if you use ataris you can expect 00000,14% chance of being dropped by the isp (THEY ARE VERY STABLE)

Timeouts etc will only happen on the isp side of the connection (drops aswell) so if you do get a drop it's the isp.

ISDN by itself is usually very stable and seldomly disconects etc..

Make sure you get a decent modem (Duxbury, Us robotics or Rectron One) those are your best bets (i own a duxbury one).

ALSO don't go for telkom's isp they are crappy and i've heard alot of ppl complaining about slowness etc....

Read my post again and please reconsider b4 getting an isp.

Cheerz
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Hey Cookiemonster, your information on this thread has been extreamly helpfull! :D

One thing, are you using a 128k connection or 64?

Do you play games on international servers? if so what pings to you get :?:
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Sorry for the double post, but the link to http://www.ataris.co.za/ does not seem to exist! :oops: