MHz different in CPUZ to Windows

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Rikkelz

MHz different in CPUZ to Windows

Post by Rikkelz »

Hey all,

Having a funny issue with my laptop -> I’ve got two screenshots:

As you can see the MHz in CPUZ differs from those in the system properties. When the computer is in “Max Battery” mode the processing speed always used to drop to 790ish MHz, this would show in CPUZ and in the Windows system properties. And when it was in “Always On” profile the MHz would go to 1860ish (again this would match both on system properties and CPUZ).

Usually I’d just pass this off as windows being stupid, but when I noticed this thingy something happened that’d never happened before – I was browsing the internet and playing music (which I’ve done many times before) and then the music started jamming and skipping (like a scratched CD) and the web browser became unresponsive; nothing would happen so I just had to leave it, a few seconds later all unjammed, the music carried on, and all the commands I’d given it suddenly happened and it carried on as normal.

As I said its never done this before; do you guys have any opinions as to what it could be? Luckily HPs after sale support is good so if its something major I can send it for repair.

Thanks ;) ,

Rikkelz
Robster

Post by Robster »

Hi there

I could be mistaken (please correct me if i am), but the 790-ish could be the FSB speed of the processor.
Moses

Post by Moses »

When you put it on max battery, it throttles the CPU to conserve power, what's the problem?
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough.

I know that when its in Max Battery it throttles the CPU speed (SpeedStep technology).

My problem is that the windows system properties differs from what CPUZ says. Coupled with this is the issue I explained about the music jamming etc.

When in Max Battery the CPU speed should be 797Mhz ish - have a look at the windows properties dialog in the screen shot. When in Always On the CPU speed should be 1.86GHz - have a look at what it says in the windows system properties.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Like Moses said. Once you boot up your laptop from the battery it clocks the CPU down to save power. Cant remember what its called.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Rikkelz. The reason why this happens is because windows reports the rated speed or name of the chip while CPUz reports what it is running at.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Maxxis look in the second screen shot where it says "processor 1.86GHz" is says "334 MHz". It has never said this before. It always matched what CPUZ except recently when it started with the music skipping.

Like I've said, I know it steps down the CPU speed for battery saving (Intel SpeedStep), but the CPU has never reported (not in CPUZ or Windows sytstem properties) 334MHz. It'd always be 798MHz or 1.86GHz.
Futs

Post by Futs »

Its called EIST - Enhanced Intel Speedstep Techmology.

It basically allows the system to adjust power voltage and core frequency, resulting in decreased power consumption.

EDIT: Too late :P

have you tried running an instance of prime95 seing if you can get both to the true speed after the CPU is at 100% usage?
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Are you running your memory Asynchronously from your FSB speed?
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It happens because they are using different ways to calculate your CPU speed. Trust CPU-Z as it uses low level to detect what freq your PC is running at. Windows control panel -> system will use an API call.

Speed step works by dropping your multiplier, which you can see clearly in CPU-Z. That quoted speed by the windows system tab (334) is impossible to obtain by changing the multiplier in whole numbers (334/133 = 2.5). Someone here had 6ghz speeds reported on his Celeron 633 after he OCd it because of the exact same reasons.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Basipooned!

Post by Basipooned! »

Robster wrote:Hi there

I could be mistaken (please correct me if i am), but the 790-ish could be the FSB speed of the processor.
OR NOT..
lol.
Im too lazy to scan my signature in!!!