What every desktop needs and is NOT M$

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
jee

What every desktop needs and is NOT M$

Post by jee »

linux software

hmmm Cameron, how about making a linux DVD with all sorts of free software and games just for linux? (another one ;) )

guys, please feel free to add your own to this list.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Mori

Post by Mori »

Power to the people!!!!
The linux section has been a little negelected the last few times. Another DVD would be nice 2, but I can see the funding problem arising miles away.
Azriel

Post by Azriel »

SuSe 10.1
Maybe this world is another planet's hell!
ADSL Petition
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Not to sound harsh here but this guy has no idea what he's on about. Switching from MS to Linux in a corporate environment will be anything but economical. Why do you think Linux techies get payed so much? ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
jee

Post by jee »

Master YOda, we have just changed our one school over to linux.... in another 5 - 8 years linux will be as common as Windows....
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jee wrote:Master YOda, we have just changed our one school over to linux.... in another 5 - 8 years linux will be as common as Windows....
Thats what they said 5 - 8 years ago. Taking an extrention on the deadline now?

s
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Haha!

As a guy who earns a living supporting M$, I am all for their world domination!
jee

Post by jee »

Mmmm Mister Traveler, 5 years ago linux was really complicated... don't you think it has a better chance with the current GUI interface and more and more software being able to use with it?

I read the thread about PC users getting a license.... to some people computers are just the pits, totally foreign... Windows is a total mystery to some people... why not teach them linux right from the start and get it over and done with? Don't you think it will become easier that way?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jee wrote:Mmmm Mister Traveler, 5 years ago linux was really complicated... don't you think it has a better chance with the current GUI interface and more and more software being able to use with it?

I read the thread about PC users getting a license.... to some people computers are just the pits, totally foreign... Windows is a total mystery to some people... why not teach them linux right from the start and get it over and done with? Don't you think it will become easier that way?
Nope - - I'm in jamin's camp.

s
jee

Post by jee »

hmmm here is a thought provoking article about open source and open standards... I think, no matter if I have endless problems with Linux (and will use windows till i'm proficient enough tho move away from it totally) that its arguments like this about choice that makes me hope that Linux will grow.
btw... i have endless problems with windows too :)
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

If I had to make a projection of the next 20 years, I see 2 major software companies (stuff Standard bank has been going on about last year at a class presentation @ UJ) and (my vision) a whole world of open-source stuff. Reason, the bigger companies are buying their way through the little guys so only 2 major ones will remain. The only other way for sofware development to remain active besides working for those 2 big guys is to make stuff available for free and may ask for donations and service fees or somthing.

I mean, OpenSource is growing exponentially and a lot more programmers are jumping in to plant their seed into the OpenSource world.
I myself, would like to write stuff under GPL licence for anyone to use for free. I mean, just look at all the good replacements you get nowadays.
Excluding OpenOffice, FireFox, Thunderbird and all the known ones, there are tons of stuff on the net that you can get under the GPL licence. Ok, not all software have OpenSource equivalents yet but thats going to change.

The 2 major companies of the future will stop making everyday kind of products such as M$ Office, etc. and more system-like software, like banking systems, inter-networking communication with augmented features, etc.

Well thats how I see it, how the PC world will change.
RadeonX64

Post by RadeonX64 »

Well if u look at Xp 64 bit edition, thats not even fully supported, if I may ask, cos i know nothing about linux, does Linux have a 64 bit platform?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Y0da wrote:Not to sound harsh here but this guy has no idea what he's on about. Switching from MS to Linux in a corporate environment will be anything but economical. Why do you think Linux techies get payed so much? ;)
Definitely. Linux start up costs are low but support is damn expensive... You buy Microsoft and start up is high but you get all the support you could want. Linux will never come close to the scale of Microsoft. I've seen both in action in large corporate environments, and Microsoft is the definite winner I'm afraid...
Futs

Post by Futs »

True.

I agree, give me MS over Linux any day.

I bought a Linux Format magazine from CNA the other day, and the DVD included, Slackware 10.2, Debian and knoppix.
With alot of apps and forth, Made the R130 I spend worth it.

But it would be nice seing those on a PCF disc ;)
comanche

Post by comanche »

RadeonX64 wrote:Well if u look at Xp 64 bit edition, thats not even fully supported, if I may ask, cos i know nothing about linux, does Linux have a 64 bit platform?
Linux is A LOT further along with 64 bit software... The major 'titles' such as Suse and Gentoo have X64 based systems, and they run just as well as the standard 32 bit systems.

ryanrich wrote:Linux start up costs are low but support is damn expensive... You buy Microsoft and start up is high but you get all the support you could want. Linux will never come close to the scale of Microsoft. I've seen both in action in large corporate environments, and Microsoft is the definite winner I'm afraid...
I have to dissagree with you. The school I worked at encorperated linux into the systems, and it has worked well so far. It's faster than XP when loading, and the sofware seems to run better. (Less hanging and load times)

And all the servers are linux... So much more flexibility than MS server...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

comanche wrote:
RadeonX64 wrote:Well if u look at Xp 64 bit edition, thats not even fully supported, if I may ask, cos i know nothing about linux, does Linux have a 64 bit platform?
Linux is A LOT further along with 64 bit software... The major 'titles' such as Suse and Gentoo have X64 based systems, and they run just as well as the standard 32 bit systems.

ryanrich wrote:Linux start up costs are low but support is damn expensive... You buy Microsoft and start up is high but you get all the support you could want. Linux will never come close to the scale of Microsoft. I've seen both in action in large corporate environments, and Microsoft is the definite winner I'm afraid...
I have to dissagree with you. The school I worked at encorperated linux into the systems, and it has worked well so far. It's faster than XP when loading, and the sofware seems to run better. (Less hanging and load times)

And all the servers are linux... So much more flexibility than MS server...
I'm not talking about a school, I'm talking about a 20 000 user countrywide corporate network, and more recently 120 000 user worldwide. I'm not saying Linux is crap and can't do anything, I just don't see it as an alternative in the kind of workplaces I support...
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

I'm not talking about a school, I'm talking about a 20 000 user countrywide corporate network, and more recently 120 000 user worldwide. I'm not saying Linux is crap and can't do anything, I just don't see it as an alternative in the kind of workplaces I support...
I think a Linux-orientated environment can work quite well. If its set up right once, you shouldn't have problems keeping it that way. Besides, a lot more people are becomming more Linux-aware so we can expect some average people in the future knowing a thing or 2 about Linux.
I think Linux can become just as "second skin" as Windows if you catch my drift. Infact, there is a company that have taken the Wine source and upgraded it a lot to run most of Windows apps known today on Linux. Just go to http://www.winehq.org and look for the CrossOver add.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yep, well all I know is I'm Microsoft as well as Linux certified, have worked with and helped implement both, and my preference is, and will always be with Microsoft... ;)
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

No, don't get me the wrong way. I'm not saying that every corp should change to Linux, I'm just saying that it definately can be done.
I want to be ready for both such environments.