Download a whole movie in just five seconds...

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Download a whole movie in just five seconds...

Post by Thrall »

Whoa - have you lot seen this?

"Imagine an internet connection so fast it will let you download a whole movie in just five seconds, or access TV-quality video servers in real time. That is the promise from a team at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, who have developed a system called Fast TCP....

...Since the packets are the same size as those used in TCP, none of the equipment along the internet itself will have to be modified, and no new hardware will be needed on computers receiving the data...

...By ganging 10 Fast TCP systems together, the researchers have achieved transmission speeds of over 8.6 gigabits per second, which is more than 6000 times the capacity of ordinary broadband links... "

New Scientist
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

this is kinda irrelevant to us, even of this technology is succefull it will neva be commercially available they keep it for the govt services.
and u forget a little company called telkom. its nice to know thos it can be done. maybe in abt 10 -15 yrs
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
simmy

Post by simmy »

Appreciate the info Thrall.
You have a point Skunky, but what's wrong with you today,huh :!:
rubber_toad

Post by rubber_toad »

haha. imagine telscum running something like that. phone up, "hey, you just cut me off you $%$&^$." telscum, "yeah well you're over you're 3gig bandwidth limit" :?
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Irrelevant for now, yeah - but imagine the possibilities in a few years' time *drool*
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
boetiemal

Post by boetiemal »

(yes telkom :!: ) to think you are sitting on a chat site and a whole page scrols down and you ar still chatting about the old topic , better go to a african chat site and learn to speak another languageb just so we can keep up with a topic so lets hope we get more tellecom survers
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Ha i thought somebody was messin' around when they posted this one but i see its true thrall yet it still seems like a fantasy we in SA can only continue dreaming about, but maybe there will be a knight/knightess in shining armor that will save us eventually! Sheesh imagine what size HDD's we'll need and how much cool stuff we'll have!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

the way i see it, if you take 25 years ago computers were as large as small houses, in 13 years here in south africa weve gone from 286 16mhz computers to 3ghz computers, id say people still alive in 50 years will have some tremendous toys to play with, if were not nuked by then lol,

oh well ill be 80 hopefully ill still remember how to use a keyboard if the smokes havent killed me by then, then again they might have lung transplants by then.