Anyone getting PVR?

Any hardware related topics go here.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone getting PVR?

Post by neon_chameleon »

It's R2999 for the SA version of TiVO called the PVR. It launched on monday.

Anybody getting it or going to get it?

Edit : Or have an opinion on it?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Its a good idea.
Would love it, but 3k goes a long way towards a DVD recorder which i would rather have than the PVR Decoder.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
dammod

Post by dammod »

I really hope we get one. Our decoder atm is performing like Doom3 does on a Pemtium2...rubbish. Its so slow.

The PVR seems really awasome. Its like a Dual View decoder, as u can watch 2 channel at the same time, BUT u can also record a third. I'm sure it would not be too hard to replace the HDD in there with a nice fat 250Gb :-) :evil:
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

dammod wrote:I really hope we get one. Our decoder atm is performing like Doom3 does on a Pemtium2...rubbish. Its so slow.

The PVR seems really awasome. Its like a Dual View decoder, as u can watch 2 channel at the same time, BUT u can also record a third. I'm sure it would not be too hard to replace the HDD in there with a nice fat 250Gb :-) :evil:
Do you know how big the HDD is?

Might be getting it next year.... Hoping for now..

@Neon, now to get DSTV to show Dark Angel and record hehe :wink:
dammod

Post by dammod »

Im not sure how big it is. From what I have seen from channel 10, it seems pretty big.

From the DSTV site:

The introduction of PVR is set to revolutionise the television experience and the way you watch television.

The DStv PVR Decoder is a Personal Video Recorder and decoder in one. With your DStv PVR decoder you will be able to take control of your television.

Some of the exciting features of the DStv PVR decoder that you can look forward to include:

Record 80 hours of TV Programming
Pause live TV
Watch two channels and record a third channel at the same time
Rewind programming
Fast forward and slo-mo programming you have recorded
Click here for the complete list of features and benefits.

All this and more for the amazing introductory price of only R2999 (incl. Vat but excl. dish and installation). Click here for more info on how to get your DStv PVR Decoder and for more detailed information about the workings of the decoder click here.

Additional information is available on channel 10.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Yeah I watched the promo like 10 times. he he.

I read somewhere that TiVo has an 80Gb hdd, not sure about this SA PVR. But I'm assuming it'll be the same, as it's based on the Sky+ which Britain has and those are built on the TiVo.

The thing is we recently got Dual View, and there doesn't seem to be any trade-in options available which is rather unfortunate.

The main reason we'd want it for is for my dad to record the TopGear's and for my bro and I to watch Jay Leno & Conan O'Brien which are on at midnight everyday of the week. As well as for us to watch "The Soup" on tuesdays without staying up to 12.30am.

Anybody know in what format the files are recorded? That's the main reason I started this thread. If it records as mpg3,mpg4's then can it connect to the pc as a external hdd via usb or something. That would be awesometastic.
sisa wrote:@Neon, now to get DSTV to show Dark Angel and record hehe
Petition time again, lol, ;)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

neon_chameleon wrote:
sisa wrote:@Neon, now to get DSTV to show Dark Angel and record hehe
Petition time again, lol, ;)
I actually looked up that page few days ago and was thinking of reviving it lol... :roll:
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Mozz wrote :

YO!

does anyone have it yet???
and i see that the [explicitly deleted] dnt have an Ethernet Port, so you think the HDD can be put in a pc and one can get the the mpegs off

Coz i want to collect episodes, not jsut delete them when i'm done watching
Last edited by neon_chameleon on 24 Nov 2005, 01:04, edited 2 times in total.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Alpha wrote :

Mozz - If you you want to copy the movies off the hard disk....... I suggest you get the LG HDD/DVD recorder. I have the model with the 80GB disc in it (also comes in 250GB)...I've read its possible to just replace the Hard Disk with an IDE model and you're good to go. I have a 160GB which I want to install when I have the time.

Records to all DVD formats as well, including dual layer DVD+-R. Another cool feature is that I can store MP3's/Photos on the hard disk...very cool if you dont want to swap MP3 cd's all the time. Also plays DivX movies, has timeshift, and you can watch DVD's and record to HD at the same time.

Another cool feature is the firewire input, which allows you to record directly from your digital camcorder to HD or DVD.

I dont know what they cost as I got it from insurance as a replacement instead of 2 DVD players which were water-damaged.

Not sure of the price, but I think its in the region of R3000 though...about the same price as the DSTV PVR.

Check it out at DVD Recorder @ LG

*edit* Neon i edited your url, was a pain to read this topic with such a long url... Anakha56
Last edited by neon_chameleon on 24 Nov 2005, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Mozz wrote :

@ Jamin, i'm too lazy to get that sort of thing to work

@ Alpha, Shot dude, but i also want to use the other features, I.E. TEH SECOND CHANNEL!!!! OMG< i hate it when those useless people known as parents watch k@k, and i'm left stranded

But i guess a PVR for the Folks, and that LG for me would be great!!!!
Last edited by neon_chameleon on 24 Nov 2005, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Alpha wrote :

Mozz --> Yah, the snag with the HDD/DVD recorder is that you cannot watch a channel through the decoder and record something else broadcasted by DSTV. Thats where the PVR comes in handy.

If you habe dual-view, you will be able to get around this problem.

But, you're right....and ethernet connection on the PVR would have been great!

That unit is cool, but not versatile enough to justify spending R3000 on it...

Post by Avatar7 »

Who needs T.V. anyway?
Well despite that, the PVR soes lok quite sexy, a major advance for DSTV.
I've heard rumours bout it having USB connectivity, anyone out there to confirm or denie that?
QBM

Post by QBM »

Nah....obviously I'm not getting this version. I did have Tivo once but have swithed to a SFF PC. I'm much happier now.
Mal

Post by Mal »

Just got it, our old decoder got struck! Its quite a lekker setup! Very cool! 80hours of vid! Its convenient cos u just set the thing u want to watch and itll record! the pause and replay function is also pretty cool! I just love it for the dual view, thank the pope, i can now watch what I want. LOL

Its also much quicker than our old system, and displays the next two programs on the bottom line!
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Cool, someone has it! W00t, woot and all that jazz. Right now to answer the questions we want to find out, that we can't get on the website or get from the informerical :

1. Does it have PC connectivity? via USB?
2. What files does it record the files as? MPEG4?
3. What size hard drive does it have? 80Gb?
4. Does it support HD TV? No?
5. Can it wash the dishes? Of course?
shlebib
Permanently Banned

Post by shlebib »

most importantly, does it make coffee for u?
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film. :lol:
Mal

Post by Mal »

Its got a USB port and have literally just plugged it in and havnt played around with it or read anything! Ill post all that tomorrow..........l8er today! LOL
Mal

Post by Mal »

The thing I dig is that u can pause TV and SLO MO it weneva u have the urge!
Mal

Post by Mal »

Sorry to make multiple posts, but here are the specs at the back of the manual,

Memory

DDRAM - 64MB
FLASH - 8MB
Non-volitile Mem - 16KB

Video and Audio

Audio Decompression - MPEG-1 Layer 1, Layer2, Musicam

Video Decompression - MPEG2

Cant find HD size!!!!! Weird
Souledge

Post by Souledge »

Ok, I just had mine installed yesterday.

Two cool things: it has 2 USB ports, one in the front and one in the rear.

It has Dolby 5.1 for TV1 via an optical audio cable.

Gonna try and plug my pc into the usb port tonight and see what happens, hopefully not *BANG* :)
Jasonhk

Post by Jasonhk »

80GB HDD Standard :)

We ordered one, only getting it in fnew house though :/
Elitehost| Professional Web Hosting Solutions | www.elitehost.co.za
1.5GB Storage / 15GB Bandwidth - R29.95/Month | cPanel, PHP, MySQL and Fantastico
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

What is the monthly payment on this baby? Is it R450?
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Yeah it's the same as dual view, R450 a month.