The beauty of Firefox (and open source)

Any software related topics go in here.
jee

The beauty of Firefox (and open source)

Post by jee »

Just imagine not waiting months to have holes fixed, or bugs debugged or having your machine work in perfect condition... oh what bliss.. can I add that to my wishtlist?

A new version of Firefox has been released to patch a handful of security holes, Firefox 1.0.3 http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

Mozilla 1.7.7 http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ addresses the same set of security gaps. Both were released last Friday.

I will admit that i will NEVER use ie again.. and if M$ don't want me to d/l patches cause i use firefox.... :x
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Yup we all love mozilla. Also I loaded Redhat 9 for my dad because he doesnt like MS anymore.(he still have XP too) And one of my friends also wants linux(he doesnt play games so theres no probs) hes only prob was his WLAN card but that well fix.
Yup MS is losing thier market share(or so I hope)
mow Cancelled

Post by mow Cancelled »

you know its i nice thought , but for another os to conquer MS its going to take years and lots of funds - something open source does not have.

the problem is , at most if not all skools they teach kids on MS os . then when they grow up and buy pc for themselves or for their companies they use an MS os. because they know how to use it.

and with how many prebuilt pc to you get linux instead of windows ? thats how gates made MS what it is today - he made i deal with ibm all those years ago . for every pc they sell he gives them a free copy of his os and in return he gets $1 as royalty.

everyone got to kow his os and eventualy he started charging for it .

i would love too see MS on its knees, but who will do it ? word is that Mark Shuttleworth is working on a new OS that might give them a run.

oh and btw Firefox rules.

sorry if this posted is off topic.

----Thanx to Kher-za for this piece of Art-----
brabham

Post by brabham »

Mark Shuttleworth's 'new' OS is called Ubuntu linux. Supposedly the best distro available atm according to some sites. He is introducing it free of charge (obviously) into schools and some universities and colleges. I dont know how its taken off, but is surely the right thing to do for an African solution to software costs. Open Source is the future.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
capanno

Post by capanno »

I just installed Firefox and the first thing I noticed is how fast it is. Was at least twice as fast on www.indiegameresources.com
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
mow Cancelled

Post by mow Cancelled »

shuttleworth is a smart man - doing what gates did - to get his os off the ground

----Thanx to Kher-za for this piece of Art-----
aXe

Post by aXe »

FireFox rules!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

It is wat better than Opera and IE together!!
Soap

Post by Soap »

mow wrote:you know its i nice thought , but for another os to conquer MS its going to take years and lots of funds - something open source does not have.

the problem is , at most if not all skools they teach kids on MS os . then when they grow up and buy pc for themselves or for their companies they use an MS os. because they know how to use it.

and with how many prebuilt pc to you get linux instead of windows ? thats how gates made MS what it is today - he made i deal with ibm all those years ago . for every pc they sell he gives them a free copy of his os and in return he gets $1 as royalty.

everyone got to kow his os and eventualy he started charging for it .

i would love too see MS on its knees, but who will do it ? word is that Mark Shuttleworth is working on a new OS that might give them a run.

oh and btw Firefox rules.

sorry if this posted is off topic.
Spot on! That is true, and so I guess Microsoft won't really have to give a damn when their market share of the browser declines. Why? Because IE is a main part of Windows, and uninstalling it via external utilities like XPlite can really live your system in chaos.
Mark Shuttleworth's 'new' OS is called Ubuntu linux. Supposedly the best distro available atm according to some sites. He is introducing it free of charge (obviously) into schools and some universities and colleges. I dont know how its taken off, but is surely the right thing to do for an African solution to software costs. Open Source is the future.
Yes, Mark Shuttleworth does resemble Bill Gates a bit. He took Debian Woody, masked a bit, threw some nice autoloading window managers in, and then calls it Ubuntu, just in-time to match the spirit of Africa. I can bet with you he won't even know what the command ls does, so I personally think that he and his Linux idea are a total laugh. You see people ordering 20 Ubuntu CDs, and if you ask them why they order a near darn shipload, they'll tell you "cos I can." If you want to learn Linux, get a good Unix book and study the commands. Don't just throw a CD into the drive and say you're a Linux Expert because you can use KDE (or I dare say, Gnome). Throwing a CD in a drive and installing it with defaults isn't how it works, Mr Shuttleworth.
treel

Post by treel »

If you want to learn Linux, get a good Unix book and study the commands. Don't just throw a CD into the drive and say you're a Linux Expert because you can use KDE (or I dare say, Gnome). Throwing a CD in a drive and installing it with defaults isn't how it works, Mr Shuttleworth.
Soap - I am one of those keen to experiment with Linux, and I am using the live cd to play with. Maybe I will gain enough confidence to ditch MS, but in the meantime - I don't mess my Windows o\s. Method to the madness??
Soap

Post by Soap »

I know that it is possible to not load the X interface with a knoppix CD. Fiddling in GUIs is senseless, if you want to change system parametres, you'll have to make your way through /etc ;) and not some windows.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

I ordered 20 ubuntu cds. I kept one and distributed the rest of them through my IT Council at school. They were gone very quickly...

EDIT: We also allow people to make copies of a Python CD and the OpenCD

Rikkelz
Soap

Post by Soap »

And now everyone is a Linux pro and updates their kernel through CVS every 34 minutes and then quickly patches it?
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

been using firefox for 1 year.
10/10

IE6
6/10
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
jee

Post by jee »

Soap wrote:And now everyone is a Linux pro and updates their kernel through CVS every 34 minutes and then quickly patches it?
Unfortunately not everyone has your superior knowledge. Most of us are plebs, you see.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
razor

Post by razor »

i also think firefox is better than ie, but there is nothing great about it :(
so there are tabs and u get less spyware...
but come on how many times has some one used a security vanrability
in m$ to hack into ur system or get personal information about u.
the only reason most peeps use it is cause no more spy ware while viewing ur favourite kind if sites ... wink ,... wink
Byte this or laugh:
Amd 3500+
1gb Corsair DDR 400
Gigabyte 6600gt
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Soap wrote:And now everyone is a Linux pro and updates their kernel through CVS every 34 minutes and then quickly patches it?
No, but Im guessing you are one?

A lot of us use those live distro's to just learn to use Linux a bit, get used to the feel.

Just because we dont know everything in the world, dont bite everyone...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Soap

Post by Soap »

jee wrote:
Unfortunately not everyone has your superior knowledge. Most of us are plebs, you see.
That is prefectly understandable. I also didn't learn it overnight. Throwing a CD in the drive and then clicking around in the GUI isn't a lot of learning, mostly cause you know how to click around from Windows. It may well be that I have the wrong idea of how to learn Linux, but I started off with Debian, which doesn't install a GUI by default. Today, my most valuable book remains:
Unix Complete from Sybex
Soap

Post by Soap »

Slasher wrote:

A lot of us use those live distro's to just learn to use Linux a bit, get used to the feel.

Oh no, not at all. I just think that the money Mark Shuttleworth spends to make CDs is completely incorrectly invested. I see a lot of people ordering 20 Ubuntu CDs, which is a total laugh. It may well be that Rikkelz distributes them to his friends, which isn't a problem. But for instance, in my school, there's people ordering 20 or so CDs for the fun of it. They'll most likely give it to some friends aswell, they jam it into their CD drives, it will give them some kernel panic and then they'll never ever use that CD again in their life. Invest the money in courses. Yes, I know he's doing that already, but try and embed that idea into schools aswell. There's no sense going into 1-hour-courses on a Saturday at 4pm once a week. I think he should invest his money into schools and general institutions, not blow it out for some free CDs from which no-one gains any or just some knowledge. That's not how it works. Linux is a Unix-clone, and going to it means learning the principles of a whole new operating system. This doesn't happen by throwing in your CD. There's absolutely no problem with Live-CD, I use a FreeBSD Live CD myself, but just do Mark Shuttleworth and others a favour: Don't order 20 CDs just "because you can". If you want to play with Live-CDs, either download it, or if you're on 56k which is fine, then order 1 CD and not 20.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Soap wrote:
Slasher wrote:

Oh no, not at all. I just think that the money Mark Shuttleworth spends to make CDs is completely incorrectly invested. I see a lot of people ordering 20 Ubuntu CDs, which is a total laugh. It may well be that Rikkelz distributes them to his friends, which isn't a problem. But for instance, in my school, there's people ordering 20 or so CDs for the fun of it. They'll most likely give it to some friends aswell, they jam it into their CD drives, it will give them some kernel panic and then they'll never ever use that CD again in their life. Invest the money in courses. Yes, I know he's doing that already, but try and embed that idea into schools aswell. There's no sense going into 1-hour-courses on a Saturday at 4pm once a week. I think he should invest his money into schools and general institutions, not blow it out for some free CDs from which no-one gains any or just some knowledge. That's not how it works. Linux is a Unix-clone, and going to it means learning the principles of a whole new operating system. This doesn't happen by throwing in your CD. There's absolutely no problem with Live-CD, I use a FreeBSD Live CD myself, but just do Mark Shuttleworth and others a favour: Don't order 20 CDs just "because you can". If you want to play with Live-CDs, either download it, or if you're on 56k which is fine, then order 1 CD and not 20.
On the multiple CD order I can agree... I ordered 2 CD's (One for my brother in Durban). In any case, at 99c a CD these days, why cant the people just give a R1 to get another OS. I would happily pay R100 for a decent copy of Suse or the likes, for lack of download time (Did it once, was corrupt).

The problem with embedding it in schools is that a lot of people feel that MS is the kings and they 'will never use Linux' , 'Linux is just a load of computer geek users that cant live with MS' or the likes. These kinds of people tell the school's what is in the learning plan. Some of them do not even know how to use a PC, never mind install a OS.

I would personally love to go to a few courses on Linux, but the time is hard to find. The advantage of 1 hour courses is that you can stretch it over, say, 2 months. I can easily steal an hour each Saturday, but find it near impossible to find a 4 hour opening in one day to just go to a course.

The big thing about this Ubuntu thing is, everyone is just saying how good Mark S is in paying for this, but they forget that there are a few HUGE companies sponsoring him. This isnt really coming out of his pocket. Was his initiative, but he does pay for everything himself...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
simmy

Re: The beauty of Firefox (and open source)

Post by simmy »

jee wrote:Just imagine not waiting months to have holes fixed, or bugs debugged or having your machine work in perfect condition... oh what bliss.. can I add that to my wishtlist?

A new version of Firefox has been released to patch a handful of security holes, Firefox 1.0.3 http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

Mozilla 1.7.7 http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ addresses the same set of security gaps. Both were released last Friday.

I will admit that i will NEVER use ie again.. and if M$ don't want me to d/l patches cause i use firefox.... :x
1. :D .4

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... 1.0.4.html
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Bill gates is a pleb. Add a bit of hypocrisy to that and you end up with Mark Shuttleworth.

This guy advocates open source to the masses, but this only after making his own billion. Would someone please explain to me why he didn't license his Internet Security Certificate code under the Open-Source model? (rhetorical)

Hypocrite !

S
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Sojourn wrote:Bill gates is a pleb. Add a bit of hypocrisy to that and you end up with Mark Shuttleworth.

This guy advocates open source to the masses, but this only after making his own billion. Would someone please explain to me why he didn't license his Internet Security Certificate code under the Open-Source model? (rhetorical)

Hypocrite !

S
Because he doesn't own it anymore. And at the time he could have open sourced it, it was what was feeding and clothing him. Why don't _you_ do your work for free? Yeah, thought not. Same with him. He can afford to help other people, now that he doesn't need to help himself so much, so he is. Don't knock him for being 'fake' or a 'hypocrite' because he's doing something nice that he wasn't before.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
simmy

Post by simmy »

Dear reader.

A reminder to all, this is a topic about "The beauty of Firefox (and open source)"

Have a super day :D
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Synkronos wrote:
Sojourn wrote:Bill gates is a pleb. Add a bit of hypocrisy to that and you end up with Mark Shuttleworth.

Hypocrite !

S
Because he doesn't own it anymore. And at the time he could have open sourced it, it was what was feeding and clothing him. Why don't _you_ do your work for free? Yeah, thought not. Same with him. He can afford to help other people, now that he doesn't need to help himself so much, so he is. Don't knock him for being 'fake' or a 'hypocrite' because he's doing something nice that he wasn't before.
:wink: