Samsung D500

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Colin_69

Samsung D500

Post by Colin_69 »

Does anyone know this phone? Samsung D500. Planning to get in on a contract. Looks real nice and has loads of features. Anyone that has it, or knows about it, give me your reviews or pages with decent reviews on it
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

You should speak to Scarlet_Spider - he has one. Go look in the Photography thread - he posted a pic that he took with it. So far he says it's an awesome phone... :D
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

its my phone of choice when i upgrade end of April (although by then there will prob be a D600 ;))
But from what i've heard its a beaut :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
ANGELUS

Post by ANGELUS »

HEY. IM ALSO GETTING THE D500 ON CONTRACT.I DID ALOT OF REASEARCH ON IT.ITZ THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET AT THE MOMENT.IT HAS 91 OR 96 MB ON MEMORY.IT HAS A 1.3MEGA PIXEL CAMERA.THE GRAPHICS ARE AWWWSOME:)PLUS IT HAS A MP3 PLAYER.ONLY THING I HATE IS THE SLIDE STYLE.WOULD HAVE PREFERD A FLAP.I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE SONY K700I BUT IT HAS NO EXPANSION SLOT FOR EXTRA MEMORY:( PLUS GRAPHICS AINT SO GOOD AS THE D500 :cry:
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

ANGELUS wrote:HEY. IM ALSO GETTING THE D500 ON CONTRACT.I DID ALOT OF REASEARCH ON IT.ITZ THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET AT THE MOMENT.IT HAS 91 OR 96 MB ON MEMORY.IT HAS A 1.3MEGA PIXEL CAMERA.THE GRAPHICS ARE AWWWSOME:)PLUS IT HAS A MP3 PLAYER.ONLY THING I HATE IS THE SLIDE STYLE.WOULD HAVE PREFERD A FLAP.I WOULD HAVE GONE WITH THE SONY K700I BUT IT HAS NO EXPANSION SLOT FOR EXTRA MEMORY:( PLUS GRAPHICS AINT SO GOOD AS THE D500 :cry:
WHich will help you in what way. It's a phone....... a P.H.O.N.E.
style121

Post by style121 »

Because the better you can see the graphis on your phone, the better you can see the pics that you take. Imagine a 1.3 megapixel phone with only a 4086pixel screen colour. You'd only be able to see what the pic looks like once you've downloaded it to a pc. Lotta help that would be. May as well just take one in the dark.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

style121 wrote:Because the better you can see the graphis on your phone, the better you can see the pics that you take. Imagine a 1.3 megapixel phone with only a 4086pixel screen colour. You'd only be able to see what the pic looks like once you've downloaded it to a pc. Lotta help that would be. May as well just take one in the dark.
huh? say what? what about Digital cameras that also have little LCD screens?
style121

Post by style121 »

Look at a digital cameras LCD screen and tell me what the resolution is. Its almost a perfect replica of the picture being taken, except its just smaller.

You mean to tell me you can't see the difference between a digital camera lcd and a camera phones screen? I wish my siemens looked like that. Its got 64 000 colours and the its still not enough to get a good indication on what the pic will look like.
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

look... you wanna take pictures, use a camera. Have never been one to gawk at phones. To me a phone is just what it is... a device make/receive calls and to send/receive sms..
Last edited by Demoraliser on 11 Mar 2005, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Hey...
I got one as WS said, it is a beaut, i am enjoying it alot if you want more info on it then check out www.gsmarena.com or www.mobile-review.com (in particular the mobile-review forums)

Screeper the next up is the D720, which i dont like the look of but interesting to note is that it has a symbian OS.

Angelus you get used to the slide very quickly, at first it anoyed me a bit but now i love it.

That pic that i took can be viewed by clicking on the image below.

(you might actually be seeing this pic in an advert soon - hehe...:) )

If you guys have any specific questions post away and i will answer them as soon as i can...

8)
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Amen
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

style121 wrote:Look at a digital cameras LCD screen and tell me what the resolution is. Its almost a perfect replica of the picture being taken, except its just smaller.

You mean to tell me you can't see the difference between a digital camera lcd and a camera phones screen? I wish my siemens looked like that. Its got 64 000 colours and the its still not enough to get a good indication on what the pic will look like.
Siemens smiemens... the D500 has a 256 000 colour screen.... have a look :
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d500-900.php
style121

Post by style121 »

I've had a look at the D500, but it wasn't out when I got my phone or else I woulda had it.

True demoriliser, you wanna take pics use a camera, but if ones not handy, which is in most peoples cases, then use a camera phone. Qualities not as good, but sooner or later 3 megapixel camera phones are going to be on the market, rendering most everyday cameras obsolete. Why carry so much equipment if you can just pack it all into one item.

The fact that you can use memory sticks now on a phone makes it all the more attractive. The D500 would be outstanding if it had that feature. I don't see the point of an Mp3 enabled phone when you don't have a memroy stick port
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

i know this thread is about the d500, however because it is taking a bit of a detour i thought it would be appropriate to paste this link.

Photogoraphy is one of my major hoobies - i take photos as often as i can.

so hereyou can go read about the Megapixel myth, dont know how in depth this particular article goes but you will pick up from Ken Rockwell's site if you browse it long enough just how irrelevant the megapixel rating is, there are far more important things to consider sensor type - CCD vs CMOS etc etc...

enjoy the read..

anyway back to topic
------
Nikonians
Colin_69

Post by Colin_69 »

Wow, some of you went little off topic, but thanx to those who did not. Anyone know of decent phones, in the same price region etc, that has external storage, flash drives, smart card etc. Thanx. I agree, a phone is phone, i use mine to send and recieve smsses and make calls, but if i can get it for free with a cheap contract, why not...
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

check out the specs for the Nokia 6230...
------
Nikonians
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Mmmm. Even better. The new sony ericsson Z800. Only available in America at the moment, but soon in SA. Apparently its got a 2MP camera! 3G, Bluetooth, MP3 player, Video recording and playing and all the rest! Can't wait.

Check it out on www.sonyericsson.com
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Scarlet you took the words right out my mouth re the 'camera' on the phones. Megapixels are nothing without the proper sensors etc..
A 3megapixel phone (when they get there) will never take better pictures than a 3mp camera.

but i'm really off topic now :/

the 6230 is good but i don't think its as good as the D500 imho.
I struggled to use the 6230 as a bluetooth modem for my pda whereas when i tried the D500 is was up and modem'ing ;) in seconds
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

ye, the 6230 was what i was going to get until the d500 became available that is.

Now all i need to do is find a cover for it?
Oh, and does anyone know how the speeds of bluetooth compare with the speeds of IrDa (cause i have IrDa on my laptop and it is dog slow, want to know if will be worth getting the blue tooth adaptor, or if i should just wait for the USB cable from samsung)
------
Nikonians
hexXie

Post by hexXie »

Creator wrote:Mmmm. Even better. The new sony ericsson Z800. Only available in America at the moment, but soon in SA. Apparently its got a 2MP camera! 3G, Bluetooth, MP3 player, Video recording and playing and all the rest! Can't wait.

Check it out on www.sonyericsson.com
ya the z800 looks SO COOL!!! I WANNA get me ONE!!! yummy!!1

oh and creat0r : :?
Everyday, I browse the forums just to make sure that there still are people more pathetic than me.
KikAsH

Post by KikAsH »

I got a D500 about 2 weeks ago and here's my 2 cents worth :

PRO's

Probably the sexiest looking phone on the market.
The camera and video recorder are amongst the best i've come across in a cellphone. Both device's come with a standard range of effects to play with and the flash works really well.
The phone is an ergonomic masterpiece.
The phone comes with GPRS and MMS settings already loaded for the associated network of your choice.

CON's

If you're a seasoned Nokia/Sony Ericsson user, u'll find the menu functions cumburesome and it'll take quite a while to adjust to the 'lack' of navigational logic. Battery life isn't great, but i suppose this will differ largely from person to person. My biggest gripe with the phone is that, even although it supports 3gp video content,(palyback and recording) it will not allow you to download any .3gp video content from the web!!(All attempts i've made retun a "file format unsupported" error. To date SAMSUNG have still not been able to give me an answer or a solution to this problem which is rather irritating. Limited phone to PC connectivity options and flexability.

I could carry on pointing out more Pro's and Con's but I decided to stick to a few that stand out in my mind. All being said and done, I think the D500 is nice too look at and will get the basic jobs done but I wouldn't suggest buying it if you're main purpose of having a phone with these features is to have hassle free, business mobility. If thats your aim, then i'd suggest you rather look at a Nokia 6630 or it's Sony Ericsson equivilant.(Not sure of the model number right now) They're roughly the same price as the D500 but with the HUGE added benefit of running Symbian OS which offers customization options, much greater support regarding software applications, overall compatability with other devices.

I'm sure that SAMSUNG will release a software update pretty soon to iron the D500's current liitle bugs etc........ so if you're heart is set on getting this ultimately stylish yuppie accessory then by all means, indulge yourselves. For the more practically inclined people who aren't in the mood for the D500's unfortunate few quirks, your money will be better spent on a Nokia, Sony Ericsson or what ever other brand of phone you've become accoustomed to using that offers the same features.

Only my personal opinion...... use it, don't use it..... as long as your happy with the phone u end up choosing to be your communications companion until your next upgrade opportunity.

Good Luck
"YOU MUST BE THE CHANGE YOU HOPE TO SEE IN THE WORLD" Mahatma Gandhi
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

well my friend has the fone and the foto's really great!
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

very happy with the phone, only have to invest in a USB cable now, damn things cost an arm and 3 legs.
Jane

Post by Jane »

I located 3 UK suppliers for that cable and they charge about R130 for it. Unfortunately they don't ship to SA.
simmy

Post by simmy »

The CellC shop in Tygervalley said they'll get it this weekend, the cable that is (+ pouch).

Kher how much is that arm and leg worth? Where?

-My prob is the headset-speaker-slider-thingy, keep on chipping a nail :|

-Also the -cancel- key is directly under the -down- key, besides that its a very cool phone. :D