Vista SP1 released in the morning

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

ZOMG! Vista hacks not working! God save us!

Common sense should tell you that you cannot install an OEM product on two seperate laptops. I'm sure you knew this which is why you looked for a crack. The fact that the intended product broke has less than nothing to do with Microsoft.

And now your complaining your crack don't work? Are you stupid?
rustypup

Re: I installed SP1

Post by rustypup »

kedoef wrote:cause i am the legal owner of this ain't I.
no, you're not... you own the machine... OEM windows installations live and die with the equipment you purchased them with... in this case, your license died with your machine..

the fact that you had to 'patch' it to get it installed on another machine is supposed to have given you a hint....
kedoef wrote:So i got a patch that actually circumvents this by making windows believe that it is being installed on the correct hardware.
== i'm a pirate user... yar-har-har and a bottle of strained peas...
kedoef wrote:the bro's at microsoft found a way around this and you vista will grind to a halt if you install service pack1 :evil:
i say, good job microsoft...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: I installed SP1

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:i say, good job microsoft...
8O
WHATS TATERS, PRECIOUS?!?!
kedoef

SP1 Again

Post by kedoef »

== i'm a pirate user... yar-har-har and a bottle of strained peas...
It seems I was a wee Pirate then, but now I`m legal again yaaaaaie!!!!!

Sorry Microsoft I Jumped on my oem vista and it is now hanging from my rearview mirror :oops:
Packard Bell
Easynote PB85

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300@2GHz, 2Core
Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Hard Drive 320 GB
Display Nvidia 8600 GT 512mb
PhReaK_K

Re: SP1

Post by PhReaK_K »

kedoef wrote:But I must say my pc is working fine now and even reports the full 4GB of ram I vae installed... Pre service pack it reported only 3 gb of ram and no more
correct me if I am wrong, but as I have it , seeing and using is totally diffrent, when it sais " 4Gb" it is still just using the "3.whatever Gb" u were using previousely. They "fixed" that cuz too many people claimed that Vista was stupid and cannot work with 4 Gb mem, when in fact it is cuz of the " 32bit option" ..

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
kedoef

4GB Ram

Post by kedoef »

I think you might be right Preak k, I just had a quick look in CCleaner and it still reports only 3GB of systerm ram. Does this mean 64bit windows for me?

Does anyone have exp with 64bit win Vista, I would like to know beforehand of any troubles before trying it...especialy with regards to gaming

I,m Googling the ram issue now
Packard Bell
Easynote PB85

Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Hard Drive 320 GB
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

well the ram issue , has been like that since well , teh dawn of the 32Bit OS. I have heard of a lot of people that use 64bit, and play games fine, aparantly you can play in 32bit compatibility mode or something.

Tomshardware had a nice article about it a couple of weeks/months ago, where they actually tested the 64bit Vista with more ram to see what diffrence it makes. But seing as you actually need a app designed for 64 bi os you are still limited to somthing like 2 Gig per app. Like I said the article was a long time ago, so the exact details I can be wrong. But I can remember that at that stage they recomended that you rather stay with the 32Bit OS, and make piece with your 3Gb ram, as the issues related and the minimal performance gain makes it "unwise" to switch to 64bit.

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
kedoef

4GB Ram

Post by kedoef »

I went to microsoft and found this so Phreak you are right and i Am severyly dissapointed
Before the installation of Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista displayed how much system memory was available to the operating system. For computers that have 3 GB or less of physical memory installed, the reported memory value can sometimes be somewhat less than the memory physically that is installed. These differences are because of the BIOS and possibly driver reservations of physical memory. For example, some BIOS implementations allocate some physical memory for the graphics adapter. Typical sizes are from 8 MB to 128 MB for graphics. Other sizes are possible. The BIOS and some drivers may reserve physical memory for other peripherals or purposes. These reservations are reasonable and are part of the usual operation for a computer. However, they do reduce how much physical memory is available for use by the operating system and applications. These reservations affect both 32-bit and 64-bit computers.

On computers that have a 32-bit operating system, more than 3 GB of system memory, and with a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows Vista SP1, users will see a larger difference in how much memory is reported as available to the operating system compared to how much physical memory is installed. This is because some physical address space must be reserved as I/O regions for memory mapped peripherals. These I/O regions are allocated between the 3 GB physical address and the 4 GB upper physical address limit.

Physical memory addresses that are mapped to these I/O regions cannot be used to address physical system memory. These addresses also cannot be used to prevent the operating system from using some physical memory that would ordinarily be accessed between the 3GB physical address and the 4GB upper physical address limit. The size of these I/O regions varies from system to system because they determine the type and configuration of the system’s peripherals.
I see four but still only use three. :? :? :? :(
Packard Bell
Easynote PB85

Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Hard Drive 320 GB
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

is there any one in pretoria (east) who has SP1. I need it urgently.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Where exactly are you KB? I'm going to be in Pretoria tomorrow and I have it. I can stick it on a disc if you want to meet somewhere?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

lol theres nothing wrong with x64 Vista nor XP for that matter

My friend runs a gaming rig and he's been running Vista x64 for the last year and loves it

And for the record, it should be common knowledge ONLY x64 OS's can register and utilize 4gb's of ram. With x32 I think the max is 3.125gb

You should know that if you do WORK on your machine & run apps that aren't 100% mainstream you could pick up incompatibility problems. If you're gaming on your machine, x64 FTW (even if you dont have 3gbs of ram + ).
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

ADV4NCED wrote:lol theres nothing wrong with x64 Vista nor XP for that matter

My friend runs a gaming rig and he's been running Vista x64 for the last year and loves it

And for the record, it should be common knowledge ONLY x64 OS's can register and utilize 4gb's of ram. With x32 I think the max is 3.125gb

You should know that if you do WORK on your machine & run apps that aren't 100% mainstream you could pick up incompatibility problems. If you're gaming on your machine, x64 FTW (even if you dont have 3gbs of ram + ).
Actually with vista sp 1, 32 bit vista can see 4 gig but it can't use it.

On the question of 64 bit vista most of the games and applications will work with the odd exception. Only two programs I used on vista 32 bit which don't work on vista x64 bit is aquamark and coretemp. Coretemp can work but only if you disable the signed drivers at the start of boot each time which is a hassle so I just use speedfan. This can be easily solved if they would just pay the license fee but they don't plan to.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

hehe coretemp works no probs on Xp x64 :D
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
MANIAC

Post by MANIAC »

HI, Well I had that issue as well. 4GB ram wont be usable. Only 3 GB, reason for this is becuase only 4GB can be registered for x86 Vista. Display card, Sound Card , Mainboard uses memory as well.
Interfan wrote:
ADV4NCED wrote:lol theres nothing wrong with x64 Vista nor XP for that matter

Actually with vista sp 1, 32 bit vista can see 4 gig but it can't use it.

On the question of 64 bit vista most of the games and applications will work with the odd exception. Only two programs I used on vista 32 bit which don't work on vista x64 bit is aquamark and coretemp. Coretemp can work but only if you disable the signed drivers at the start of boot each time which is a hassle so I just use speedfan. This can be easily solved if they would just pay the license fee but they don't plan to.
#$% Maniac %$#
--------------------
1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 800
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA2 Seagate
GeForce 9600 512MB
Creative Audigy 2ZS
Logitech G11/Mx518/x530
AeroCool Aluminium Case / Samsung 22\" LCD
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

How do I check if I have Service Pack 1? I did a Windows Update and apperently that sort you out.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Right click "My Computer" and choose Properties. Under "Windows Edition" It'll say ...

Windows Vista(TM) Ultimate (or whatever version you have)
Copyright (c) 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All right reserved.
Service Pack 1

If it doesn't have the "Service Pack 1" line then you don't have it installed.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Ok, cool. Microsoft and the lies.

Thanks.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

just download sp1 from the automatic updates?

btw, after going to sp1, im hardly using my desktop anymore...
VISTA FTW!

if you dont know, im using vista business 32 bit.
and im not gaming on my lappy, just business apps and assignments!
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

I used Windows Update if thats what you mean. It's not available. Im just gonna do the 544mb download.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Or you could buy NAG.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote:Or you could buy NAG.
Is that like a Russian bride order? :dontknow:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Nope - SP1 is on the coverdvd :D
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

wierd... ja, rather spend 40 bucks and get the nag.
unless of course pcf has it on their coverdisc?????

how long have you had vista cyclic?

i know that it took 2 days before sp1 showed up in my update option?!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

You guys are forgetting Vista SP1 isn't patched in one update. Your PC must meet various requirements first, 2 or 3 pre-patches if I'm not mistaken. After these SP1 will silently install over a day or two. If you have Automatic Updates enabled it's most likely already downloaded or busy downloading (check system tray).

Turn of Automatic Updates > Run Windows Update > Restart > Run Update > Restart > Wait an hour or so (Vista configures updates after restart whilst you can work in the OS. Until configured new updates will not be shown) > run Update (asuming it was a fresh install).
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

@rayne:

trust me, i know!
i downloaded endless updates before sp1 allowed me to install it!
easily over 500mb, and that was before sp1.

i havent had an update since then, and its been a good few weeks now!

my setting is to inform me, but not download updates - voda hsdpa can be expensive sometimes when cash is tight!