Forum Gremlins

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:As to having email contact, of course you do
:lol: well ... yes.. some do, not all..

just to clarfy here:
1) No Post Exists: we all know about and accept.. it's not going away and has a simple workaround..

2) Post Time: is simply an issue with the server - can't be that difficult to fix but has zero impact on the forums...

3) PHP-Nuke errors and intermittent speed degradation - these two appear together in clumps and then vanish for a few days...

while 1 & 2 really are just niggles which can be safely ignored, 3 is concerning because these are indicators of an underlying gremlin getting ready to bite...
The email addresses are in the magazine, therefore all have access.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

We seem to have found a potential cause for the problems people seem to be experiencing as of late. It seems the paper on some of our data cards has become frayed from all the punching and we have blown a couple hundred vacuum tubes :D We are painfully aware of how old our phpbb is and we are working on a complete revamp but we ask that you just bare with us till dalfers gets done with another massive project he i currently working on. In the mean time the powers that be are apparently setting something up with ron2k to keep us ticking which I am hoping includes the migration to phpbb version 3 but I am really not sure. I can't give info on the revamp guys so please don't pm but I can say is that the whole PCF crew is pushing as hard as we can!
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Thanks Nab :D Ron2k FTW!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Nab wrote:the paper on some of our data cards has become frayed from all the punching
"Do not FOLD, SPINDLE or MUTILATE" - those warnings are on the cards for a very good reason! :lol:

good to know :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
PaperCut

Re: Forum Gremlins

Post by PaperCut »

lancelot wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:So the forum crawls, it's down every few days (sometimes every few hours) and frequently when there's a new page we get the "No post specified" error. This has been happening way more frequently than before... whatsup?
Rubbish
...that's what's up! 8)

anyways, although the errors and whatnots are somewhat irritating. It's not the end of the world. So what if the you can't post for a few minutes/hours? Do you have any idea how many sites you could visit in that time?

I really couldn't care less if the forum gets revamped or not. It doesn't do anything for me personally. We moved from the Entertainment3 skin (the theme and everything) to what we have today. And still doesn't mean anything. I couldn't tell you what the difference is. Looks better, sure. But for me, that's about it.

edit:
in closing: Viva Ron2K, viva!!

8)
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Nab wrote:We seem to have found a potential cause for the problems people seem to be experiencing as of late. It seems the paper on some of our data cards has become frayed from all the punching and we have blown a couple hundred vacuum tubes :D We are painfully aware of how old our phpbb is and we are working on a complete revamp but we ask that you just bare with us till dalfers gets done with another massive project he i currently working on. In the mean time the powers that be are apparently setting something up with ron2k to keep us ticking which I am hoping includes the migration to phpbb version 3 but I am really not sure. I can't give info on the revamp guys so please don't pm but I can say is that the whole PCF crew is pushing as hard as we can!
w00tage of notage :lol: :) :D :D :D

o/t much better avvie Nab o/t
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

and now the spam thread is dead, and has been for an hour :?
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Just for the record...

I can't comment on this stage about any possible revamp of this site, but if I get my way, I'll be getting rid of PHP-Nuke entirely. My reasons are poor maintenance - PHP-Nuke is full of flaws and security holes; what's even more worrisome is that nearly all of them have not been patched by the author. Some of you have probably noticed this already - the issue of users being taken to the home page when they post something containing a SQL keyword comes to mind.

For those interested, do a Google search for PHP-Nuke security flaws. What you'll find will probably scare you (as it did with me).

I've been experimenting with integrating Joomla and phpBB 3, with promising results. I'd really like to take that route if given the chance. Converting the site will however be a real mission with significant downtime involved, due mainly to its sheer size (~900,000 posts).
rustypup wrote:ron2k will probably be able to explain the NPE issue...
Out of sync topics. I have explained this previously.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Firestrm wrote:and now the spam thread is dead
jee wrote:go into the actual forum, find the post and click on the previous page
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Ron. We will all begin sending you periodic PMs to find out your progress. Everyone now expects you to produce results within the next 43 working days. M'kay? :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

and locked...

Relevant people have responded, issues explained, so thread no longer needs spamming.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.