Crytek Blames PC Piracy

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
arcadecrawler

Post by arcadecrawler »

Crysis was too much work and not enough fun, getting from point a to b was really annoying.....

combat was meh, I know you can use your scope but I think they were going for the realism factor.... but meh.... I liked the Farcry weapons much more

you had the grapple but it was really poor compared with grapples in condemned 2 or other newer games, it was just for show really

I give it a 7/10

I enjoyed halo2 much more even though it was kinda ugly it was much, much better than Halo1 (total crap) I even enjoyed Fear Perseus mandate more than crysis even though it wasn't as innovative.

crysis = not all that and a bag of chips.... farcry 2 is also looking like a stinker more of that realism crap factoring in.... go join the army if you want that I just play my games to have fun and relax
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

PsYnaNoTiC wrote: If you buy a decent rig it will last you till the next console upgrade.
LOL!

You obviously don't see what's happening around you.

Consoles are released ever 5 or 6 years, maybe even more. If you go more than TWO years without upgrading your PC you'll be playing new games on low detail.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Domino_PhoeniX
Permanently Banned

Post by Domino_PhoeniX »

How dare you insult gay people by insinuating that they enjoy console gaming!!!!

:evil:

- jamin
Amd Phenom 9600+
Msi K9A2 Platinum
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 3850 512mb
Antec Neo Power 500 watt
2x 1GB Corsair Dominator 1066
Coolermaster CM690
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Domino_PhoeniX wrote:consoles are for gays that want to play games in the lounge.
If you're going to post discriminatory and stupid crap like that, rather just refrain from posting.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

consoles are for gays that want to play games in the lounge.
We will give you 30 seconds head start before we try hunt you down. ok?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Domino_PhoeniX wrote:consoles are for gays that want to play games in the lounge. i just cant concentrate if im playing games with my feet up.
What's with you and calling everything you're apposed to gay? Are you trying reeeaaaaallllly hard to hide something?

Hmmmm...

:P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I never played Crysis.

Was it any good?

I personally don't mind if all FPS developers abandon PC in favour of consoles.

FPS is LCD gaming at it's best.
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

PsYnaNoTiC wrote:The same old story story, Pc's are so expensive to constantly upgrade?? thats what they say....

Bull crap! If you buy a decent rig it will last you till the next console upgrade.The people that constantly upgrade their rigs do it because they can and WANT to, it's our passion! Has anyone ever considered the price difference in console games vs. pc games aswell? Sorry... but I'll never pay 600 bucks for a game
Wait a couple of months and you can get the game for less, PC or Console. We see, we want , we buy or pirate.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Mow wrote:The problems with crysis were as mentioned before.

A: The game is very resource intensive.

Meaning a smaller market segment.

B: when crysis was released the game cost R450 in its little mettle case. Thats almost console pricing.

I will call an example ...

Galactic civ 2 . The game has no copy protection , was gamespots favourite game of the release year ( editors choice )( gold medaL ) and sold very well. Still if you google torrents for it there are very few results. Why ?

( The game is not available locally , thats why I was looking for a torrent )

The answer , the game did not sell itself on hype , but rather innovative gameplay ...

Crysis on the other hand .. Again as said before did sell itself based in
Next-gen first true DX10 marketing bs.

Face it guys the game was not that great.
Were did it cost R450?? I paid R300 for mine on pre order from BT Games and the no pre orders were R320.

Crysis is problem was they only focussed on graphics and not enough on game play. Blame pirates is a lame excuse. It's passing the buck. We screwed up we won't admit so lets blame the hot topic of the day.

The guys who pirated would not have bought it anyway.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Crysis was ok. It wasnt the better game around at the time but the if you liked farcry you should like crysis.

PC games are easier to pirate. Simply because you can break the code and toss it on the net. Consoles have their own size discs.

Anyway the thread has taken its turn from what it should be. Like I said earlier I dont believe piracy is the main reason behind alot of games failing these days. A digital art piece you say? Well in that case the developer has dug themselves a grave. Art is liked or disliked by people by a random choice. It would be much easier to state it like this then: "Our sales werent as high as expected. The gaming community just wasnt in the mood for another jungle based first person shooter."

If the game developers took a much more honest approach to the situation then I think we will have a much clearer picture of whats going on. But these days everything has to be politics en Eskom. Find the suitable scape goat and blame them for your incompitence.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Fact of the matter is that Crytek is in its fullest right to do what they want for whatever reason they want and we, the "gamers", can not stop them to do what they want. If they want to move over to consoles with their games then let them. They will find that they can not do all of the eyecandy on a console like they can do it on a PC.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
arcadecrawler

Post by arcadecrawler »

jamin_za wrote:I never played Crysis.

Was it any good?
Imho nope
Crysis was too much work and not enough fun, getting from point a to b was really annoying.....

combat was meh, I know you can use your scope but I think they were going for the realism factor.... but meh.... I liked the Farcry weapons much more

you had the grapple but it was really poor compared with grapples in condemned 2 or other newer games, it was just for show really

I give it a 7/10

I enjoyed halo2 much more even though it was kinda ugly it was much, much better than Halo1 (total crap) I even enjoyed Fear Perseus mandate more than crysis even though it wasn't as innovative.

crysis = not all that and a bag of chips.... farcry 2 is also looking like a stinker more of that realism crap factoring in.... go join the army if you want that I just play my games to have fun and relax
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jamin_za wrote:I never played Crysis.

Was it any good?
They put way too much stock in GFX. Which buy the way is totally awesome for a game. The game becomes more of a showcase of what can be done rather than the gfx being a tool to help the gameplay and portray the storyline. Personally I would prefer a game with a kick bottom story and fluent controls over something where the only real plus point is the gfx.

I would advise having a shot at Assasin's Creed if you want something with an interesting story and some diverse gameplay. The controls are also very well thought out. I have however found some sound and gfx glitches in the game on my machine but I don't know if there is a patch I need to load.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
capanno

Post by capanno »

Crysis for me was a good action game. I really really enjoyed it. Probably cause I never played far cry, so I was new to the whole jungle and "open ended" gameplay. The game had good pace, in story and action. The graphics were awesome, and the gameplay fun. Say what you want, it will go down as one of the big titles of PC gaming. It set a new benchmark.

About consoles being cheaper in the long run, im not so sure about that. If a console comes out every 6 years, and you buy 1 game per month (mediocre for gaming enthusiasts), and you save 300 per game, you can save a bunch of cash over a year or two, that can easily pay for an upgrade if you sell your old stuff. I haven't worked this out properly, but I say it should come out roughly the same in the long run. Even if PCs are slightly more expensive, id happily spend the money and have a machine that I can actually do stuff on except game and watch dvds. :roll:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

capanno wrote:Crysis for me was a good action game. I really really enjoyed it. Probably cause I never played far cry, so I was new to the whole jungle and "open ended" gameplay. The game had good pace, in story and action. The graphics were awesome, and the gameplay fun. Say what you want, it will go down as one of the big titles of PC gaming. It set a new benchmark.

About consoles being cheaper in the long run, im not so sure about that. If a console comes out every 6 years, and you buy 1 game per month (mediocre for gaming enthusiasts), and you save 300 per game, you can save a bunch of cash over a year or two, that can easily pay for an upgrade if you sell your old stuff. I haven't worked this out properly, but I say it should come out roughly the same in the long run. Even if PCs are slightly more expensive, id happily spend the money and have a machine that I can actually do stuff on except game and watch dvds. :roll:
Yeah Crysis is a benchmark in gfx and with the rest it just lags behind. It is not a game that I can play from beginning to end a couple of times.

Price wise I have to agree with you.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
capanno

Post by capanno »

It depends on why you play the game. I play through some levels again, because I enjoy sneaking through the bushes and attacking camps. The story is pretty unimaginative, but thats not why I played it. I guess it all comes down to what you like and prefer. I believe the saying goes "to each his own"?
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Well, I'll just settle for both.

Crysis = Boring = Lights are on, but nobody's home.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Mow wrote:Maybe we should consider this.

We are no longer buying great pc games .... We are now buying interactive art pieces .... 450 rand is not much for a static painting. So an interactive one seems to be a bargain.

The point is that so much is going into next gen gfx. And selling based. That it has turned into art not gaming.
A piece of art should not depreciate in value as the years go on. Good art should appreciate in the long term. I can see how you may call it interactive "art", but to compare it to actual art I think is a bit of a stretch.
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

capanno wrote:Crysis for me was a good action game. I really really enjoyed it. Probably cause I never played far cry, so I was new to the whole jungle and "open ended" gameplay. The game had good pace, in story and action. The graphics were awesome, and the gameplay fun. Say what you want, it will go down as one of the big titles of PC gaming. It set a new benchmark.

QFT
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

A theory is (that I have), is the Crysis had built up so much hype, that everyone wanted to get it.

You get some people with the mentality 'I'll get a pirated version now, and buy it later'.

They found out it wasn't anything too special (apart from GFX) and said 'stuff that'.

It's just a possibility.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI