What to get? PS3 or Xbox360

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
1GOR

What to get? PS3 or Xbox360

Post by 1GOR »

I wanna get one of those two consoles. After a bit of research it seems to me like the general opinion is that the Xbox360 is the better buy.

It's more cost effective, 3 grand vs 4.5 grand. The controller is apparently superior as is the overall "architecture" of the console. Better games and overall better value for money.

If anyone has one or both could you give me a honest opinion on this?

Your help is much appreciated!
They see me trollin', they hatin'...
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I would have recommended the Wii if it was on your list and didnt get even more over priced.

I'd say go with the Xbox 360. PS3 isnt as backwards compatible as it was meant to be so all those ps2/psx games are going to waste if you have them.

Main feature of the 360 is Live! If you get the xbox you MUST get live or your only getting half of the consoles experiance. Some of the exclusive titles currently out makes the xbox more attractive. Based on the consoles games and added features like intinuity and online support I would say Wii>xbox 360>ps3.

I can only speak for the Wii and xbox 360. I havent played a ps3 yet. Reason I sold my xbox has hopefully been resolved. Ring of Death...
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

If you have a gaming PC go with the PS3 - we get nearly all of the good 360 games on PC.

Otherwise, 360>PS3 IMO.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

My honest opinion (having owned both, and a PC fanboy) is to go with the PS3. The Xbox360 has a large game database which puts it in the lead to date. However, most of the ps3 exclusive titles are surfacing THIS year, like LittleBigWorld, Haze, Metal Gear Solid 4 ect. Which IMHO will make the PS3 a much better investment at this late stage. If you where buying in the beginning of the year I would have said the 360 hands down.

As a media centre your getting Blue Ray, and MUCH easier streaming of audio and video with the PS3. The interface is also allot more elegant and has a very professional feel.

Good Luck with your decision! :)

(EDIT: Also you don't need to pay monthly fees to game on-line with the PS3, and the in game Dashboard will be released soon)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Definitely the 360. I absolutely love my 360. I never thought i'd be into consoles but then i bought a 360. I love it. I've probably done about 5 or 6 hours of gaming on mine today already :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: What to get? PS3 or Xbox360

Post by StarPhoenix »

1GOR wrote:I wanna get one of those two consoles. After a bit of research it seems to me like the general opinion is that the Xbox360 is the better buy.

It's more cost effective, 3 grand vs 4.5 grand. The controller is apparently superior as is the overall "architecture" of the console. Better games and overall better value for money.

If anyone has one or both could you give me a honest opinion on this?

Your help is much appreciated!
Hello Igor.

The following is my opinion and should not be mistaken for professional advice.

Oooooh...NO! Stop now before you make a mistake!

As far as I know, Musica and Incredible Connection currently have a special on the 40Gb PS3. R4499 get you a PS3, 2 wireless controllers and two games. [Drake's Fortune and Heavenly Sword] Better games? Well I guess
that's subjective-and in some instances certain games appear on both platforms, so you may not lose out entirely whatever platform you choose.
What I like about the PS3 is that, from what I have read, it is easier to fiddle
with [40Gb not enough? Yank it out and buy a high-capacity 2.5 inch laptop drive.] There are free themes, playing online is cheaper than it is for the Xbox360. One gets to play the likes of Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet and Clank and God of War 3 [when it arrives]. If you're into that sort of thing, you can also install Linux on the PS3 and, errr, well I think PS3 looks a whole lot better than the XBox. Microsoft's Console also seems to break down more regularly.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

PS3 has more potential and should last longer both physically and product lifespan. The 360 isn't very well made and prone to failure although it is doing better with recent revisions. The 360 has more games but the PS3 is technically superior and is slowly getting more games. If I were you I'd check up on exclusives and see which games are going to what console and base your decision on that.

If I had to buy now it would be PS3, 6 months ago it would have been 360 hands down.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I say the 360 is the best.
I just look at the PS3 and ask 'why?' and now that Blueray is going to be available for the 360, it really sticks it to the PS3 and there is an even bigger 'why?'.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Will this XBOX 360 Blu-ray drive be an add-on drive as the HD-DVD was?
How much more will this add to the price of the XBOX360?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

It will be an add-on, I don't know if later versions will have it built in though. Anybody know of any price estimates of the external drive?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

No, it will be incorporated into the unit:

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Xbox+36 ... e11674.htm
Previous interpretations of Blu-ray Disc on Xbox 360 figured an add-on device similar to the HD DVD drive, but this latest report points strictly at a new SKU that would incorporate a BD-ROM drive internally to match up with the PlayStation 3.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
halo

Post by halo »

StarPhoenix wrote:Will this XBOX 360 Blu-ray drive be an add-on drive as the HD-DVD was?
How much more will this add to the price of the XBOX360?
I believe that is the right question to ask... but ill get to that just now.

I've played on both consoles and since the start i've had the following stance on the two.

XBOX360: Great library of available games and even though the controller is great of FPS' its not all that great for sports games and racing games ( GTA IV feels so much better on the PS3 for some reason). The console has Live, which hands down is the best online feature i have had the pleasure to play around with, only problem is that you pay to play(well to enjoy playing atleast) and i just think thats mean from microsoft.

On the other hand every XBOX360 is destined to fail... non of you can argue against that. at some point in time you will get a Red ring smiling back at you and at this point its a lottery as to how soon it will happen after you start up the console for the first time.

PS3: as said before the PS3 hasn't got a huge back library of games but its got alot of high profile exclusives on the way. GT5 (not prologue the proper thing), Haze, Metal gear solid 4, little big planet, and all this is coming out this year. A huge plus for the console is its built to last, it has hardware failure but not the 100% that the XBOXs have... on the online front, even though the PS3 doesnt have Live, i prefer suffering a bit to join a match than pay money to do it...

On the home entertainment side, I'm sorry to say that the PS3 is still ahead of the XBOX, blu-ray player included or not... Lets look at the facts: PS3 40Gb goes for about R4500 but includes a blu-ray player and twice the hard drive space that a R3000 XBOX pro has. add the cost of a Blu-ray drive to the Xbox (your looking at at least an extra R1500) and suddenly you are sitting at the same price point of the PS3...

Im not a PS3 fanboy nor am i an Xbox 360 fan.. Halo 3 almost got me to buy a Xbox and MGS4 and GTA4 have almost convinced me to by a PS3... But if i was in you position i would buy a Ps3... i believe its a safer bet and in any case, i don't see very many exclusive coming to the Xbox since now PS3 sales are starting to take off.

Just my two cents folks...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

PS3. 360 is unreliable. PS3 has a crap load of exclusive titles coming out that look really great, has Bluray, PS3 way ahead as a home entertainment device.

halo makes some excellent points.
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Frozenfireside wrote:I say the 360 is the best.
I just look at the PS3 and ask 'why?' and now that Blueray is going to be available for the 360, it really sticks it to the PS3 and there is an even bigger 'why?'.
Just to put a spin on the xbox360 Blueray thing. AGAIN I own both consoles, so no bias - just don't want someone to go buying (or waiting for) an Xbox360 because of the upcoming blueray reader.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/05/micr ... yet-again/

Still asking 'why?' Frozenfireside?
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate all the input and I must say I am leaning towards the PS3 now... I should make the purchase pretty soon...

Thanks again everyone!
They see me trollin', they hatin'...
Zaa

Post by Zaa »

I have both and I would recommend the PS3. Its future proof, and has a killer list of upcoming exclusives and as someone said, most of the 360 games are released on PC somewhere down the line and they are very similar to PC games so if you have a gaming PC, you rather get a PS3.

Also, I think the Xbox 360 has peaked already when it comes to games.

Get a Wii if you like playing games once every 4 months.
ImageImage
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Still asking 'why?' Frozenfireside?
Erm, yes and even if M$ denies it, it will happen eventually.
They won't ignore Blueray forever.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Coincidentally, a young friend of mine will be getting a gift for his upcoming birthday and he's unsure whether to go for a PS3 or a 360.

Now I own both consoles and since I know the dude on a personal level, I know what kind of games he likes, but, nevertheless I refrained from giving him an answer on the spot.

Instead I did some research (not much and some based on personal experience) but this is what I found:

PS3
- Future proof (like some guys above posted, I see)
- Great upcoming exclusive titles
- Free online play
- All round well engineered machine (Blu Ray, etc.)
- Has the same failure rate as the Wii, around 3%
- Connectivity with the PSP

- Xbox live, but you have to pay for it, not to mention large addons which aren't very friendly for our sickly Telkom lines and the prices charged for it.
- About R50 cheaper second hand games (PS3 - ~R350)
- Better controller, but changing batteries is a pain
- Has the highest failure rate from the 3 consoles (This isn't a biggie but it's the peace of mind that counts)
- A slightly larger selection of games than what the PS3 has to offer at this point in time

The 360 is an excellent console and honestly I use it more than my PS3, but, that looks like it's set to change as the year goes by. The only title I'm on the lookout for the 360 is Ninja Gaiden II. But, like it's predecessor it's highly likely to appear on the PS3 with added content.
However, I'm awaiting loads of titles for the PS3.

Ultimately, I'd choose the PS3. But, I didn't tell that to my friend. I told him the above and to browse the review list on Gamespot or wherever and take note of how many and which games he'd like. Then he should check previews of upcoming games for both consoles, check upcoming hardware developments and finally draw an analogy between the two.

After all, it's the game that's the major factor in defining a console. Not a console the game.

~EDIT~

And I just so happened to find this in my email.
No HD DVD for the 360
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Xiphan

Re: What to get? PS3 or Xbox360

Post by Xiphan »

1GOR wrote:After a bit of research it seems to me like the general opinion is that the Xbox360 is the better buy.
What research might I ask? :? Here's the best bit of research I came across in defense of the PS3.
1GOR wrote:It's more cost effective, 3 grand vs 4.5 grand. The controller is apparently superior as is the overall "architecture" of the console. Better games and overall better value for money.
Here's your superior architecture right here:

Walking around Gateway the other day I walked passed Govan Mani and they had a demo of GT-HD (GT5?) playing on a big Sony Bravia screen; a friend I was with just couldn't believe how real it looked, he thought it was real or at least pre-rendered, no way could it be in game. As far as I know it is in game. So PS3 FTW! And like so many people have already said, the PS3 has better games going for it or coming to it than the Xbox will ever have!
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

And I just so happened to find this in my email.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/05/micr ... yet-again/
MS will deny everything right until the last minute. If they admitted to it they'd cause the sale of their current model to take a hit, everyone would wait for either the new version or price cuts on the old version after the official announcement. The evidence is quite strong that they will have a unit with integrated Blu-ray. I'd even put money on it.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

No, you see, while I do agree with you that organisations will deny speculations (true or not) they would not follow it up with "games are what drive consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available".

Another thing is that Microsoft has a reputation for not commenting on leaked software and hardware (they just keep quite) The fact that they provided a press release STATING that there are no plans to use Blu-ray, you can pretty much take it with your cake and eat it happily...

Microsoft wont release a blue-ray drive any time soon, if they did - they would be putting a bullseye on their head as an unreliable information source, as well as Hippocratic. Believe it or not, even MS try hold a reputation.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I've played on both, but own neither.
Both are really great, but my nod eventually goes to the PS3. I just like the look of the incoming titles for the PS more than the Xbox360.

However I am slightly biased since i think the GT series is the best racing game ever in the the history of mankind and alllll the universe :wink: GT5 is going to be phenomenal !!
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Great minds think alike. I'm also going to pick up a console soon. I'm leaning towards the xbox though. Apparently the xbox is going to be upgraded to 60Gb soon. I wonder if I should wait for that...
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Well the Xbox dropped in price U can now pick one up for (arcade) for R1999
Anyways I own the Elite (120GB) version , And I’m happy with it , Games are excellent , GoW, Halo, and Forza 2, getting GTA 4 this week m have not played sports titles on it yet….
But for pure enjoyment, the XBOX 360 is great . I have not played PS3 yet , but at this point in time. I will support anyone that wants a xbox.
Zaa

Post by Zaa »

Also, with the PS3 you can upgrade your hard drive at any time without voiding the warranty. With the Xbox you have to buy an expensive add on drive.
ImageImage