1) Asus P5K
2) Intel e8400
3) Sapphire HD2600 Pro
4) LG 20X IDE DVD recorder
5) 2X1GB OCZ DDR2-800
6) Codegen 480W PSU
7) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2

The problem I having is the following

System POSTs successfully. BIOS detects the SATA HD and the IDE DVD recorder. When I try to install Windows, it says that there are no useable disks on the system. If I try Linux, it fails when it tries to mount the root file system (seems like its having the same problem as Windows). Once this happens and I reboot the system, I go back into the BIOS and it does not detect the SATA HD. I need to power down the system completely, wait a while, then it detects the disk again.

What I have tried so far to troubleshoot this problem.

1) Tried my LG and my Lite-On IDE DVD Recorders
2) Replacing the IDE DVD recorder with my wife's 20X Samsung SATA (to avoid using the IDE controller on the mobo, thus disabling the Jmicro PATA controller)
3) Replacing the new disk with my WD SATA2 disks.....tried my 320GB and 250GB with the same (negative) results
4) Different SATA ports on the mobo
5) Different SATA power and SATA data cables (just to be eliminate that)

None of the above work and I am at my wits end here - I assume there is some setting in the BIOS I dont have correct to use the SATA HD.

I even tried booting with "System Rescue CD", but this disk doesnt find the SATA HD either.

Any advice would be appreciated - I suspect its something in the BIOS I might not have configured correctly.
Last edited by AlphA on 02 Apr 2008, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Nice setup btw.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Frozenfireside wrote:Have you tried updating the BIOS?

Nice setup btw.
Thanks man - I wish it were my PC - Its for a friend @ work.

Anyway, to answer your question....No, I have not flashed it yet (its about 5 versions behind the latest). I wanted to leave that as a last resort and get my friend's go-ahead in case it goes horribly wrong - You never know with these things.....

My friend emailed the supplier with the link to this post. See below some questions from the supplier and my comments

"Tell your installer to please reset everything to default "
Tried that.

"make sure that raid is not enabled."
done that

"Also make sure that the SATA has been selected"
done that

"I know the hard drive is being detected but the problem here is most certainly a config problem in the BIOS as he mentioned."
Agreed. thing is, I have tried every possible config.

"Make sure that AHCI is NOT selected (use IED or SATA here) "
done that

"Jmicron diabled "
Dont I need to have this enabled to use the IDE controller for the DVD recorder? Just to make sure, I tried disabling this, and using my wife's SATA DVD Recorder. Made no difference.

"If all else fails please send the board back to me so I can RMA"
I'm beginning to think RMA is the only way out at this point. Ask him if I should flash it first? Let him know we're on version 0704. (about 4 or 5 updates behind)

"Ask the installer if that board’s box has the 45nm sticker on it"
Yes it does. Thats why this whole thing surprises me. It has a big sticker saying support for the new 45nm CPU's.

Any comments?
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

Is there an Option to run SATA as Legacy? Also, check if the Sata ports are set to RAID, because the OS Installations are missing drivers, which you need in SATA RAID mode...

Strange that the drive disspears completely tho... :?

Silly ? i know, but you are using the SATA ports in the group of 4? not the lil lonley guy by the PCI-E slots?

[EDIT] too late :?... this is crazy! did you get a Jmicron Floppy in box? try use that? do you have a Vista Instalation DVD install that and use a flash drive for the drivers? sounds like the south bridge is... uhhhh it rhymes with duct :P
Last edited by Mozz on 01 Apr 2008, 10:45, edited 2 times in total.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Mozz wrote:"Is there an Option to run SATA as Legacy? Also, check if the Sata ports are set to RAID, because the OS Installations are missing drivers, which you need in SATA RAID mode... "
Yes, I am running it as "Compatible IDE" ..... also tried "Enhanced IDE" with no success. RAID is disabled.
Mozz wrote:Silly ? i know, but you are using the SATA ports in the group of 4? not the lil lonley guy by the PCI-E slots?
Yes, using the SATA ports in the group of 4. There are too red ones and two black ones. The two red ones are for boot disks and the two black ones are for data disk. Tried all of 'em.....one at a time.

Thanks for the help so far.......
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

See my Edit!

Also, did the SATA DVD-RW boot from the Windows CD?
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Mozz wrote: did you get a Jmicron Floppy in box?
Not that I noticed - might have missed it though. Will check tonight. Dont have a stiffy disk though :( I think I have one in my firewall machine.....but I seriously doubt it still works :(
Mozz wrote:"Also, did the SATA DVD-RW boot from the Windows CD?"
Yes....so did several Linux distros and "Ultimate Boot CD"....
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Maybe I missed something, but when you tried the sata drives, did you try them in different sata ports.

ps...to use the IDE you must ENABLE the micron controller.

Anyway, sounds like RMA might be the best course of action as it sounds like the controllers are buggered
Mozz

Post by Mozz »

I vote RMA!

When Hardware becomes less than logical... it must be broken.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

AlphA wrote:
Mozz wrote: did you get a Jmicron Floppy in box?
Not that I noticed - might have missed it though.
Unlikely, I don't think there is one in the box. I never received one with my P5K. The drivers are on the Driver CD... Which incidentally needs to be used in Windows

I'd first try a BIOS update and then if that doesn't work, I'd RMA it
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

viceroy wrote:ps...to use the IDE you must ENABLE the micron controller.
Yah, discovered that during my adventures with this machine last night ;-)
viceroy wrote: Maybe I missed something, but when you tried the sata drives, did you try them in different sata ports.
Yup, I did.
viceroy wrote:Anyway, sounds like RMA might be the best course of action as it sounds like the controllers are buggered
Looking more and more like it the more research I do. I am just gonna try the 1005 flash tonight....and see how that goes.... Will post feedback.

Thanks guys.......
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Cool goodluck.

I sytill think it's RMA cos I've had a P5K-E and now a P5E and no problems with SATA or IDE whatsoever
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Ok, I successfully flashed via USB stick to the latest and greatest ver 1005. Still nothing doing. Definately looks like I'm gonna have to go the RMA route. Just wanna try this HD in another PC before I call it quits.....

And maybe some other RAM in this PC........you never know....
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I think I might be onto something here. Tried the disk in my wife's machine, running a Biostar 6100 AM2 board. Windows would'nt even load with the new disk connected as a slave.

Gonna try it in my Linux box and see if I can at least manage to format it.

I think its the disk though.....

I'm not prepared to try installing Windows in this new machine on any of my disks as they have OS's on them.....

Dont know why my disks were not picked up the first time round in this machine - probably an incorrect BIOS setting I had at the time (with all the failed attempts and changed settings)

EDIT : Ok, tried the new disk in my SATA disk rack.....Linux wont even boot with the disk racked as a slave. I think the mystery has been solved - I'm pretty sure its the new Seagate 250GB. If only I had a spare SATA disk around which I was prepared to trash with a new install.....Unfortunately, I dont.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Ok, buddy is impatient. Doesnt want to wait till the vendor replaces his disk. I went to pick up a WD320GB this afternoon. Windows is currently installing.

Definitely was a faulty Seagate 250GB disk.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

well at least its sorted. Hope this helps someone else if they have similar issues
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD