StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

DX10 - Why not for XP?

Post by StarBound »

The question keeps on being asked and the answer is always the same. "Because you would need to rewrite the OS anyway." Why do you need to rewrite the OS? "Because it includes instruction sets that lets you interrupt shader operations to switch between windows."

Well WTH? I only want the essencial part of DX10 anyway. They way it processes HDR, makes that smooth grass appear on CoH and what about those fog or explosion edges that are more fluient and not a line?

Microsoft says its impossible. Some hackers have managed to release a hacked version for XP. So whats hte problem? All you want it to do is improve in game graphics. I cant care less if it cant make my XP look 3D.

Any programming guru's want to try and explain why it isnt possible in terms I can understand?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

That's because it IS possible.

There is NOTHING holding back DX10 on XP. It's MS being money whores.

You see, it's like from DX8 to 9. When XP first came out, it had DX8. Easily upgraded to 9. It's the same with DX10, just that MS doesn't want to lose out on sales on Vista.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Because it what costs more to include in xp. Since they were going to release a new os anyway with the new security features,ect there was and is no point to include dx10 on xp. It's not cost effective.

And no hackers haven't been able to get dx10 to runon xp. They got 2 dx9 games which were locked to vista to run on xp.

If your refering to other project those guys weren't able to get it to run at any decent rate under xp.

Just buy vista if you want dx10 or stick with dx9. I think it will be another year before you get forced to switch.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Soap

Post by Soap »

Check Crysis on ultra high in DX10 and DX9 mode. There's virtually no difference.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

The only diffirence would be the performance hit, which is rediculous.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I've enabled all those "DX10" features in DX9 on XP. All it means is those are DX9 features anyway.
My Steam Screenshots

VodacomHater

Post by VodacomHater »

Last edited by VodacomHater on 03 Mar 2008, 23:38, edited 2 times in total.
CranialBlaze

DX10 in XP is highly possible

Post by CranialBlaze »

I myself have run XP with DX10, a programmer friend of mine using the RC1 XP SP3 with the previous edition of DX10 SDK, not the current 1, slipstreamed DX10 into SP3 allowing it to work on XP as well as on vista, using his 8800GT SLI he was running Crysis on Ultra High in excess of 30 fps using XP 64 wit with SP3 in DX10 mode.

Worst part is this needs minimal knowledge of programing, is compatible with all versions of XP (I was using XP MCE), the only trouble is finding the older SDK, MS changed the newer one to prevent the slipstream process from working correctly and thereby making DX10 not work on XP again.

if you Google correctly you will find hundreds of sites with the correct instructions on how to get DX10 into XP, funny part is its MS's own SP3 that makes DX10 in XP work properly.

I have tested this myseld with Crysis, COH and Helgate, Helgate being 1 of the nice ones were you can actually choose your engine, in XP MCE i had DX 10 available for choice in Hellgates settings.
Life - The Longest Game you will EVER Play
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Communists! Microsoft owns DX10, why should they let you have it free :?: :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Download DirectX 10 for Windows XP is available now. You can download it ( Directx 10 for XP ) as the alpha version is said to be working by some users. It is said to work for Windows XP and with directx 10 games and graphics card, they should be able to play directx 10 compatible games like they play in Microsoft’s Windows Vista
Source
DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model. It's not possible to run D3D10 on XP without running in pure software emulation.
Source
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

You can use the same argument as the europe internet explorer law. MS may not distribute Windows with IE. You need to go download it from their website. It apparently enforces compitition.

MS doesnt have to release DX10 for XP. It's just that XP is such a stable and mature OS atm that every major gamer wont switch to vista. I'd love to see what the developers does with future games.

DX10 either forcing everyone to switch or either loose sales due to no one switching. Or force a DX10 for XP to increase sales of games but decrease Vista sales.
My Steam Screenshots

DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

ok i undersatnd.... OT anyone know wen and if windows xp sp3 is ganna cum out? is it out yet?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »